SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger 10/22 maintenance question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 10/22 maintenance question. Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
Is there an easy way to reinstall the bolt? I've taken the bolt out once, to install a bolt buffer. 7 trips to the range, about 1K rounds, time to pull the bolt, but I dread trying to get it reinstalled.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve taken a fair number of guns apart for a deep cleaning or some type of parts exchange. I often que up a Utube(or similar) video from a reputable source, before then during disassembly.

If one did it everyday, no biggie. The 10/22 is rather simple. For those of us that don’t do it all the time, a video refresher is great.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It gets easier with practice.
Make sure the charging handle is straight and flush with the side of the receiver. Helps to have a third hand also.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fgwilliams1:
Helps to have a third hand also.

Smile That seems to be my issue!

BIDEN SUCKS.

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
There is two ways that I know of.

Here is one way in the youtube, but use a brass rod or brass punch or wooden dowel... not a screw driver like this guy. Otherwise he did fine. A hardened steel screw driver can do damage to aluminum parts.

I've done it so many times for decades. I do not use a tool. I use my trigger finger in the corner of charger and recoil spring with rear part seated home to pull back the recoil spring than sorta transfer to other hand holding the bolt with side charger keeping pressure on it. Put bolt back in without the buffer. Than turn it right side up! The bolt should drop down slightly to where you can seat the side charger to the bolt slot. A little extra light helps here.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendations. I got it, and in the process discovered why I was having such a hard time with it. I am not using any tools to do the job, but added LIGHT and was able to see that I was riding the bolt too far to the rear and the bolt wouldn't seat on the charger.

BIDEN SUCKS.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
There is Ruger 10/22 maintenance?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger has some good videos for the 10/22. Check the bottom of this page for the tech tips.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Lite/models.html

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made my own bolt removal tool. Makes disassembly a breeze.

http://drfrankenruger.com/dr_f...lt_installation_tool

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I spray CLP into mine. Thats my maintenance.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My method is to have the receiver on a non slip surface. With one hand I pull back my charging handle, which is actually a little bit larger than the stock Ruger one, and at the same time physically straighten it out to get it perpendicular to the recoil spring. Then I literally slap the bolt in. I usually get it on the first try.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

lol, that's exactly what I thought.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Obvious
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and get one of these. I used to dread the same thing especially with a non captive recoil spring. This thing has made cleaning so much better.

Gunsmither 10/22 Bolt Bar and Extractor Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012...cp_tai_7nvnAbBT2JKY2

Posts: 3364 | Registered: July 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:

Haha this. I can't recall any of the 10/22 owners I know ever cleaning theirs.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
I made my own bolt removal tool. Makes disassembly a breeze.

http://drfrankenruger.com/dr_f...lt_installation_tool

quote:
Originally posted by sphill:
Do yourself a favor and get one of these. I used to dread the same thing especially with a non captive recoil spring. This thing has made cleaning so much better.

Gunsmither 10/22 Bolt Bar and Extractor Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012...cp_tai_7nvnAbBT2JKY2

Yes, I can’t emphasize how much easier disassembly/reassembly is with this tool. However I made mine for $3.00.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sphill:

Yep, it makes the job very easy. And yes, I'm one that believes all firearms including 10/22 do need maintenance/cleaning/upgrading from time to time. And although a 10/22 can go quite awhile before 'needing' cleaning, eventually you've got to get the crud out.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:

LOL. I've cleaned the 10rd mags more than I've cleaned the rifle.

I think I've cleaned the rifle 3 times in the 30yrs I've owned it. Still shoots fine.

I'm guestimating about 1.2 million rounds through it???

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clean every 20 years or 100,000 rounds.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
quote:
Clean every 20 years or 100,000 rounds.

Big Grin Or in the case of repeated, non-ammo induced failures.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post