SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    World Record 1" 5-round group at 1,000 yards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World Record 1" 5-round group at 1,000 yards Login/Join 
posted
Story based on report by Sam Hall
Look at that target by Mike Wilson. This is one of the most remarkable displays of accuracy (and precision) in the history of long range shooting. This past weekend, Mike (aka “GA. Dawg” in our Forum) drilled a truly spectacular 1.068-inch, 5-shot group at 1000 yards, all centered up in the X-Ring. Yes, you read that right, a group barely over an inch at 1000, shot in competition at an official IBS benchrest match on July 21, 2018.

How small is that in angular measurement? Well 1 MOA at 1000 yards is 10.47 inches, so Mike’s 50-5X masterpiece is 0.102 MOA! Yes that will be pending IBS group size (and score) World Records. This best-ever 1K group* was shot at an IBS registered 1000-yard match at Hawks Ridge Gun Club in North Carolina. Other records have been shot at Hawks Ridge in the past, but this is the most jaw-dropping.

Sam Hall, past IBS National Champion and IBS 600-Yard Shooter of the Year, was stunned by Wilson’s accomplishment: “This is a truely awesome marksmanship feat — one of the best in history. I think I would trade all 14 of my 600-yard records for that one!”. Mike’s amazing target will be submitted for approval as new Group Size and Score IBS World Records. Official approval is pretty much a certainty. The previous 5-shot, 1000-yard IBS record is 1.397″ (50 score) by Tom Sarver in 2007. (The NBRSA 1000-Yard 5-shot LG record is 1.473″ by Bill Schrader in 2002.)

original story on accurateshooter site

Wow. There are days when I'd be very happy with a 1" group at 100 yards. I suck.

The shooter used a 6mmBR Ackley Improved. I guess them thar 6mm chambers work after all.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That’s insane. Wow.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Wow...pretty amazing!

Posts: 4520 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Waiting for people to complain it's not a 10-round group. Razz

Amazing feat!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I've shot at Hawks Ridge many times but never like that! Congrats in order for sure.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Wow. There are days when I'd be very happy with a 1" group at 100 yards. I suck.

Me too but I have a hell of a lot of fun shooting my 5" groups at 100yds anyway.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's some nice shooting!

I'm not sure I could poke holes in paper with a pencil with such precision.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
almost unbelievable

----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Story based on report by Sam Hall
Look at that target by Mike Wilson. This is one of the most remarkable displays of accuracy (and precision) in the history of long range shooting. This past weekend, Mike (aka “GA. Dawg” in our Forum) drilled a truly spectacular 1.068-inch, 5-shot group at 1000 yards, all centered up in the X-Ring. Yes, you read that right, a group barely over an inch at 1000, shot in competition at an official IBS benchrest match on July 21, 2018.

How small is that in angular measurement? Well 1 MOA at 1000 yards is 10.47 inches, so Mike’s 50-5X masterpiece is 0.102 MOA! Yes that will be pending IBS group size (and score) World Records. This best-ever 1K group* was shot at an IBS registered 1000-yard match at Hawks Ridge Gun Club in North Carolina. Other records have been shot at Hawks Ridge in the past, but this is the most jaw-dropping.

Sam Hall, past IBS National Champion and IBS 600-Yard Shooter of the Year, was stunned by Wilson’s accomplishment: “This is a truely awesome marksmanship feat — one of the best in history. I think I would trade all 14 of my 600-yard records for that one!”. Mike’s amazing target will be submitted for approval as new Group Size and Score IBS World Records. Official approval is pretty much a certainty. The previous 5-shot, 1000-yard IBS record is 1.397″ (50 score) by Tom Sarver in 2007. (The NBRSA 1000-Yard 5-shot LG record is 1.473″ by Bill Schrader in 2002.)

original story on accurateshooter site

The shooter used a 6mmBR Ackley Improved. I guess them thar 6mm chambers work after all.

Pshaw, that's nothing.

Just kidding, that is seriously awesome.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Wow. I am impressed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
Three cheers for Georgia Dawg!

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Georgia Dawg...outstanding.

Posts: 1549 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Pshh, I'd be embarrassed by that flier in the top right.

Razz

Posts: 3658 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
The moons aligned that day! Well Done!

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
With a rifle that looks like you can pick it up and put it away...not some !00# monster you need to call friends to help with.

Amazing! Cool

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
That's incredible. Way to go GA DAWG!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7069 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Wow... that is truly incredible.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wink
sure , I could do that to on
performance enhancing drugs
Razz
Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Sheeet, take off two zeros from the distance and I am neck and neck with you.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
Wow! That’s good shooting.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post