SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Burris rifle scopes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burris rifle scopes Login/Join 
posted
What is the opinion on these today? I am looking at getting this model, it seems to have everything I want in a scope. This would be use on a ar for no more than 400 yards at steel and paper, maybe a few times at 500 just for fun.

I started to worry about this after reading the reviews. Any other brands close to price and features I should be looking at?

Thank You

https://www.burrisoptics.com/s...iflescope-1.5-8x28mm

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Well, I have the XTR II 8-40X for precision rifle stuff.

That model looks a bit pricey for the mag it offers.

All-in-all, I have been happy with the scope.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
That model looks a bit pricey for the mag it offers.

I’m not the scopesight authority that some here are, but I do know that maximum magnification isn’t what drives up the price. It’s possible to get cheap high powered sights. That sight has a ~5 to 1 magnification range and that makes things more expensive for the manufacturer even without considering the quality of the glass and mechanics. I have a sight that goes up to only 6 power and it was quite a bit pricier than this Burris.

As for its suitability, I have no idea what the reviews say or why, and I don’t know what size targets will be engaged, but I had no trouble with 12 inch plates at 500 yards with a 5× scope. As we know, an 8 power scope will make an object at 500 yards appear the same size as an unmagnified object at 62.5 yards. I can see and hit a soda can at that distance with a red dot sight.

The only thing I might be concerned about with an 8 power sight having a 28mm objective lens is that the maximum exit pupil size would be 3.5mm. That would make the image at maximum magnification a little dim, especially if the optics (glass and coatings) aren’t first class. It wouldn’t matter in normal bright light, but would have an effect under low light conditions with high magnification.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Check the classified section. sjames may be able to scratch your itch. Good luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My issue with that scope (I've considered it) is the low end of 1.5x.

Sure, you can 'deal' with it, but a 1X scope is so much better for up close / dynamic shooting.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had two Burris scope break on me, but Burris did replace them both, no questions asked.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Sure, you can 'deal' with it, but a 1X scope is so much better for up close / dynamic shooting.

That was definitely my experience.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have the 1x5 XTR II version with the 556 BDC reticle. The glass is clear and the scope is well built. The eye relief was good as well. Mine is a rfp scope and the reticle does not change with magnification. I took mine out for the first time yesterday and the BDC was pretty damn good. I easily got hits out to 700 yards using the BDC and a 20"x30" piece of steel. I tried it at 800 but couldn't see any bullet splash to tell about the BDC and its effectiveness at 800 yards. The 556 rounds were just not kicking up enough dust at 800 yards to be seen by my failing eyesight. I'm pretty damn happy with my 1x5 XTR II. I have a couple of other Burris scopes as well and I don't have anything to really complain about even with their cheaper line of AR scopes.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have that very scope on my SCAR 17 and I'm quite happy with it, glass is good, solid easily made clicks and smooth power ring. It wouldnt be my first choice for a in the house rig as the 1.5 is a bit slow close up but for anything past 25 I think its just fine.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post