SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    what shotgun should I get
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what shotgun should I get Login/Join 
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I had one of these for a few years. It was a NFA AOW $5.00 stamp. Hurt like hell to shoot. Easy to carry in the car, though. [URL= ]870 witness protection model[/URL]

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the 870 . Solid gun.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
As has already been mentioned, trap and skeet require a different setup than home defense. In fact, there are significant differences between a trap gun and a skeet gun. You can technically shoot trap or skeet with a shotgun your home defense shotgun, you just won't be competitive and other shooters at the gun club will look at you funny.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It can be done, but I wouldn't want to shoot clays with a an 18in barrel.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prairieviper:
As has already been mentioned, trap and skeet require a different setup than home defense. In fact, there are significant differences between a trap gun and a skeet gun. You can technically shoot trap or skeet with a shotgun your home defense shotgun, you just won't be competitive and other shooters at the gun club will look at you funny.

You can be just as competitive with a remington 870, 1100, or other (with a normal stock and 26-30" barrel) as a guy with a $15k parazzi and then you can go put a 18-20" barrel on it when you get home.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

You can be just as competitive with a remington 870, 1100, or other (with a normal stock and 26-30" barrel) as a guy with a $15k parazzi and then you can go put a 18-20" barrel on it when you get home.

First of all, no All American trap or skeet shooter nowadays is using a pump gun. I doubt you will see anyone in the higher classes, AAA, AA or A using one either. There are many drawbacks to a slide action and recoil and shooting doubles are just two. Second, modern day competition shotguns, particularly in the sport of trap, are highly specialized tools. Most have adjustable ribs, combs and recoil pads. Stock dimension requirements and configuration for trap and skeet guns are completely different. For example, a trap guns comb height would be too high for skeet shooting requirements.

You are correct about using a Remington 1100 field grade for both trap (30" barrel)and skeet (26" barrel)and switching barrels and/or choke tubes to make it work and have fun. There are still drawbacks, however. Semi-autos, particularly 1100's, tend to require more care and if you shoot them on a regular basis. Even then, malfunctions tend to make them not as popular when it comes to shooting doubles. In singles and handicap trap, a semi-auto will need a shell catcher so that you aren't ejecting empty hulls on the shooter next to you. Ejecting hulls on and near other shooters are just another reason semi-autos are not popular on the trap line.

The OP indicated the primary role was self defense. If all he wants to do is shoot informal clay targets thrown from a hand thrower out in the pasture, he will be good to go with most anything he sets up for his home defense shotgun. On the other hand, If he wants to go to the gun club and shoot real trap or skeet with others and be able to shoot well, the 1100 would be a better choice as a more all-around shotgun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: prairieviper,

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt and have not needed to defend my home, but I did buy a NEW Maverick 88 at Dick's Sporting Goods about three years ago for $199. I added a Limbsaver for about $42-45 and a tritium bead.

I also have a semi auto 12 gauge Beretta 1301, cost me $999 I haven't done anything to it. I probably have 20 rounds fired between the two shotguns.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

First of all, no All American trap or skeet shooter nowadays is using a pump gun. I doubt you will see anyone in the higher classes, AAA, AA or A using one either. There are many drawbacks to a slide action and recoil and shooting doubles are just two. Second, modern day competition shotguns, particularly in the sport of trap, are highly specialized tools. Most have adjustable ribs, combs and recoil pads. Stock dimension requirements and configuration for trap and skeet guns are completely different. For example, a trap guns comb height would be too high for skeet shooting requirements.

You are correct about using a Remington 1100 field grade for both trap (30" barrel)and skeet (26" barrel)and switching barrels and/or choke tubes to make it work and have fun. There are still drawbacks, however. Semi-autos, particularly 1100's, tend to require more care and if you shoot them on a regular basis. Even then, malfunctions tend to make them not as popular when it comes to shooting doubles. In singles and handicap trap, a semi-auto will need a shell catcher so that you aren't ejecting empty hulls on the shooter next to you. Ejecting hulls on and near other shooters are just another reason semi-autos are not popular on the trap line.

The OP indicated the primary role was self defense. If all he wants to do is shoot informal clay targets thrown from a hand thrower out in the pasture, he will be good to go with most anything he sets up for his home defense shotgun. On the other hand, If he wants to go to the gun club and shoot real trap or skeet with others and be able to shoot well, the 1100 would be a better choice as a more all-around shotgun.

The OP isn't talking about shooting tournaments here. He's talking about a home defense gun and eventually getting into trap and skeet shooting. With an 1100 and say a 28" barrel, you can do both trap or skeet, pretty darn well for a weekend warrior. AN 870 would be pretty tough to be competitive at skeet, but would have no issues to be competitive at trap (for a weekend warrior).

Quite honestly, I can go out to Markham park with my H+K H368 black synthetic stock semi auto shotgun with a 28" barrel on a weekend and average 24 out of 25 clays in Trap all day long, and do better than 95% of the other people shooting there including lots of them with their custom fitted parazzi's and such. Just like there are some old timers that can take their Garand out hunting that they've had for 40 years and shoot a deer 400 yards time and time again.

One time I saw a guy at Markham Park with a single shot $100 H+R shotgun shoot 25 out of 25 at trap 5 times in a row.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
Sure. OK. Roll Eyes

"In God We Trust"

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Back when I was shooting registered trap, there were many people using the Remington 870. One of the better doubles shooter used an 870.

As time went on like today, more shooters are using over/under shotguns. The OP can meet both of his goals of home defense and shooting trap and skeet on the cheap. If he later decides to get more competitive, he can look at a more expensive specialized shotgun.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You can be just as competitive with a remington 870, 1100, or other (with a normal stock and 26-30" barrel) as a guy with a $15k Perazzi and then you can go put a 18-20" barrel on it when you get home.

Very true. Simply change the barrel.
I have a Browning trap gun with a high comb and a 30" barrel. But I also have a Remington 1187, the successor of the 1100, which I use both as a turkey gun and as a duck gun (with different chokes). I've also been known to let someone else use my trap gun while I use the Remington 1187 to see if I can score higher with the Remington auto than they do with my trap gun.

BTW... that 870P looks like a nice deal. I might have to pick one up.
Originally posted by DBS:
http://summitgunbroker.com/rem--870p.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up several used Rem 870 police mangums with Knoxx stocks and Surefire fore ends.

Keep you eyes on the police supply businesses.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

One time I saw a guy at Markham Park with a single shot $100 H+R shotgun shoot 25 out of 25 at trap 5 times in a row.

Only in American trap. Other trap games throw doubles.

You said "just as competitive." That simply isn't true. At lower skill levels, the skill of the shooter will be the limiting factor. But once you get moderately good, a field shotgun will be a genuine handicap in the target games.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
My Mossy 500A has seen lotsa hard use and runs like a swiss clock..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it has been mentioned as I have not read through all the post's.

Do not discount the Browning BPS. Bottom feed, bottom eject. I use an older trap version with 30" barrel.
It is truly an excellent shotgun. Many interations of it.

They have been around a long time. Mine has never missed a beat.

On a scale of 1-10 mine has been 9.9. I would recommend it to anyone, anytime. Good luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
If you can't afford the 870P or Mossberg 590A1, then get an 870 Express or 500, and upgrade them to the 870P or 590 components as soon as you can afford to do it.

What parts would someone swap out to "upgrade" a 590A1 to 590 components, I wonder?
The barrel is heavier on the 590A1 and the safety and trigger guard are both metal. What would you need to change?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Oh, and here's a Left hand configured 870, for whoever wanted it: Left 870

I knew they existed because I bought one at Gander Mountain, by accident, and had to return it for a right.
Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
I'm a lefty, and use an Ithaca Model 37. Ejects and loads from the bottom, no hassle.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:
I'm a lefty, and use an Ithaca Model 37. Ejects and loads from the bottom, no hassle.

Just like the Browning BPS Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
If you can't afford the 870P or Mossberg 590A1, then get an 870 Express or 500, and upgrade them to the 870P or 590 components as soon as you can afford to do it.

What parts would someone swap out to "upgrade" a 590A1 to 590 components, I wonder?
The barrel is heavier on the 590A1 and the safety and trigger guard are both metal. What would you need to change?

Bruce
You wouldn't upgrade and 590A1 to a 590, but you might want to upgrade the 500 to a 590A1, and why I wrote my post that way.

Wink

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post