SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    what shotgun should I get
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what shotgun should I get Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Knoxx stock

Not everybody likes these or shoots them well. Before you get the stock shoot a SG with one. I prefer the Stock with the gel pack that comes standard. As noted earlier the guy in Michigan would probably have some good suggestions for you. He definitely says what he thinks.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
You can never go wrong with an 870.
Unless you're a lefty, then it sucks.

I am a Lefty and have shot many Register Trap rounds back in the mid 60's.
Shooting trap is much different than using a shotgun for defense. When clearing a building, or doing a vehicle takedown, I don't have the luxury of clicking of the safety, readjusting the grip, and then calling for the target. I need to be able to move with the safety ON, and quickly/surely click off the safety while lining up the shot on a threat. The 870 does that fine for a right handed shooter, and not at all for lefty, and therefore in the context of a defensive shotgun if you're a lefty, "it sucks."

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
They make lefty 870's.
When did that start? Got a link?

When I asked Remington directly, a few years ago, about a left handed safety they stated they don't have one.

You can change the safety on a righty to lefty.....there are probably others that make the safety:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...0-760-870-1100-11-87
That's not a Remington part. My agency won't let us use those parts.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
I have 2 Winchester SXP's for sporting clays. Nice thing about them is that they unlock and open the breech almost half way after a shot. This makes for faster followup shot.

One also came with an 18" barrel. I removed the magazine tube blocker (30 second job) to add 2 more rounds to the capacity.

I've got a Winchester SXP too. 18" Defender. It's been great.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My Son spotted a sale at CDNN on Weatherby shotguns. He bought a "tactical" model for about $300 they offer the regular model for less than $200. His looks like a great gun for the money.
I may pick up the basic model for a utility gun.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
You can never go wrong with an 870.
Unless you're a lefty, then it sucks.

I am a Lefty and have shot many Register Trap rounds back in the mid 60's.
Shooting trap is much different than using a shotgun for defense. When clearing a building, or doing a vehicle takedown, I don't have the luxury of clicking of the safety, readjusting the grip, and then calling for the target. I need to be able to move with the safety ON, and quickly/surely click off the safety while lining up the shot on a threat. The 870 does that fine for a right handed shooter, and not at all for lefty, and therefore in the context of a defensive shotgun if you're a lefty, "it sucks."

I am quite sure that you can buy an after-market or a Rem lefty safety and swap it out for the righty.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Remington 870 home defesne, 12g and 20g

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
They make lefty 870's.
When did that start? Got a link?

When I asked Remington directly, a few years ago, about a left handed safety they stated they don't have one.

You can change the safety on a righty to lefty.....there are probably others that make the safety:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...0-760-870-1100-11-87
That's not a Remington part. My agency won't let us use those parts.

SO???? Works fine for me and I have used it for hunting geese, turkeys, quail, rabbits, grouse, etc and have never had a problem. Even killed one turkey flying at 90 yards which didn't look that far using Tom Roster's 12 gauge goose loads featured in Handloader magazine.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Here is what Remington says about a Left-handed safety:

Can the safety in a right handed Model 870 be turned around or modified to accomodate a left handed shooter?

Since 1986, the safety on the Model 870 has not been able to be "turned around" by a gunsmith. The design of the trigger plate assembly does not allow this modification.

If you have an 870 manufactured after 1986, there are some aftermarket companies offering reverse manufactured safety buttons, specifically made for this procedure.

We do offer a replacement left handed trigger assembly for a right handed ejection Model 870 which you can order by calling our parts department at 1-800-243-9700 M-F 9am-5pm EST or by visiting our online store at www.shopremingtoncountry.com.

https://support.remington.com/...ft_handed_shooter%3F
Fortmann’s Left Hand Safety
Left-handed people make up about 10 percent of the population. And many of them own Remington 870 Smile A lot of lefties asked me about the left hand safety conversions for Remington 870.

I wasn’t able to find other left-hand buttons for Remington 870, so I ordered the Fortmann’s Left Hand Safety.

http://www.rem870.com/2016/07/...n-for-remington-870/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ElZZJPXALE

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
590A1

Raaaaaaaaawr!!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I've got a Mossberg 500 with a Maverick barrel, and my brother has an 870. In high school he outshot everybody on the trap and skeet team, many of them with much pricier guns.

When we go to turkey shoots, we all pass around my Mossberg because it patterns really well and we win more with it than anything else.

Two completely anecdotal stories, but the point is you really can't go wrong with either.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heatinajeep
posted Hide Post
MB500 or R870.

Either or.

Posts: 1976 | Location: Moody, AL | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Any one go with one of those pistol grip only, non NFA short barrel?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf_ENP3QyAE

I would like for them to bring back the Auto Burglar shotgun in 20 gauge.

I roomed with a Whitemarsh Township Deputy that carried a Sears 20 gauge cut back as an Auto Burglar gun for night time operation. He carried it in his briefcase.

posted Hide Post
I like the Mossbergs better.

I bought my wife an 870 Home defense shotgun a few years back. She keeps it by her side of the bed. One day I picked it up and it had rust forming on the bbl. I have a much older MB 500 on my side of the bed and it has been there for a good 18 yrs, no rust. I recently got a MB 590A1, used but never fired. I have yet to find time to fire it yet.
Nothing against Remington, but just to give you my experience.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Remington 870 12 gauge with 18 inch barrel and a Knoxx stock. You can't beat that.

You nailed it.

I have seen a bunch of knoxx stocks break, The spring is attached to a lever that works on a pin through the front of the stock. During recoil, the lever is cammed by the stock to make the spring extend as the weapon moves back in the stock. the camming surface can wear allowing the lever to get around and release the spring, occasionally the spring breaks and on one occasion I have seen the pin shear.

I have not seen any specific round count for the failures.

In any of these cases the reciever back falls back into the stock far enough to allow it to interfere with reaching the trigger.

I dont trust knoxx stocks for anything where reliability is required

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

that is an NFA weapon because of the barrel length.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/d...k-chapter-2/download

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to make a different recommendation. I'd go with a Remington 1100 in 20", then you can buy a barrel for it for trap.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Benelli SuperNova Tactical with iron sights is my favorite. Alternately, the 870 Tactical with a Speedfeed pistol grip stock, holding four extra rounds is nearby.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

that is an NFA weapon because of the barrel length.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/d...k-chapter-2/download

Is it?
http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88%2F

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post