SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    what shotgun should I get
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what shotgun should I get Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
They make lefty 870's.

Posts: 4764 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Mossberg 590A1

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rictafer:
Thank you everyone! I like the Rem 870 with the Knoxx stock. Ill have to look into that

Summit Gun Broker is THE source for Remington 870 Police shotguns. Mark is good to go.

Suggestion - before you buy a Knoxx stock for an 870, find one you can shoot to see if you like it. The stock looks cool and the collapsing feature is nice, however...

Try before you buy.

Then, find an 870 with either a Magpul SGA stock or Hogue OverMolded stock and try those.
The Magpul stock length of pull can be adjusted/reduced down to 12" and Hogue offers a reduced LOP (12") version.

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
My 870 when it was configured for three-gun.

The 20" rifled barrel is on it, along with the side saddle and stock shell plate.

It has a Knoxx SpecOps recoil reducing stock (these are now made by Blackhawk). It really does help reduce felt recoil.

I also have a 28" barrel with chokes and an 18" cylinder bore.

It works for almost everything I need, save clay sports involving doubles. For those I have my Browning Superposed.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
They make lefty 870's.
When did that start? Got a link?

When I asked Remington directly, a few years ago, about a left handed safety they stated they don't have one.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Remington 870 12 gauge with 18 inch barrel and a Knoxx stock. You can't beat that.

The 870 is a great home defense weapon, you can't go wrong.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both the 870 and the Mossberg are great choices.
But I vote for the Benelli Nova Tactical. It has a forearm magazine cutoff system that is excellent and great ghost ring sights.
Mine has worked flawlessly for years.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.aiptactical.com/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Yep, can't go wrong with a pump action Remington 870, or Mossberg 500 IMHO.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Mossberg, but it always boiled down to where you prefer the location of the safety.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
You can never go wrong with an 870.
Unless you're a lefty, then it sucks.

I am a Lefty and have shot many Register Trap rounds back in the mid 60's. Mine is a TC model.

Also a pump allows you to change rounds without making a lot of noise compared to an Auto. Also easy to get another barrel for shooting other sports or game.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on the 870, then get a two round extension like this:

http://www.brownells.com/shotg...ension-prod4203.aspx

A speedfeed stock stores four shells:

https://www.cheaperthandirt.co...-set-760717001003.do

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one from place Bendable suggested. Remington 870 20 gauge youth model with 18 inch barrel. He will talk with you by phone. He is the real deal. Retired Marine who moved from Florida to rural Michigan. I am happy with my purchase.

Even if you do not buy from him he is one interesting guy. Repeating the link: https://www.aiptactical.com/

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
+1 for the 870, particularly for the Police models.

I have a Mossberg 500 Bantam in 20GA with a 16" barrel. Bought in mind for all, including the younger members of the family of the time and the length of pull ... loaded with Remington 20 ga 2 3/4" #3 buck.

With the safety on top, a lefty is catered for.

I've replaced the plastic safety button with the better metal replacement form Brownells (I think?).

A Mossberg ATP - A = 12 ga, TP=Tactical Police would be a model to consider - these pumps have rifle sights and a 7 round capacity.

Don't overlook a Mossie - the 870 is tried and true for sure.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Remington 870 12 gauge with 18 inch barrel and a Knoxx stock. You can't beat that.

You nailed it.

I concur.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ wow ^^^^

Yup, nailed it!

Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I don't have an 870, but would like one. I do have a Winchester 1200, Ithaca 37, Remington 1100 SF and an Ithaca double barrel.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
They make lefty 870's.
When did that start? Got a link?

When I asked Remington directly, a few years ago, about a left handed safety they stated they don't have one.

You can change the safety on a righty to lefty.....there are probably others that make the safety:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...0-760-870-1100-11-87

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post

I have an 870 with a Knoxx stock. I also have a Benelli M2 Super 90 Tactical. I prefer shooting the Benelli, but for HD I believe the 870 is more foolproof.

If you have the 870 with the Knoxx stock, get practice shooting it, so you won't put your cheek next to the recoiling receiver (ouch!).

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The shotgun that is recommended in the long guns section of the forum and not the lounge?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post