SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do I need a Torque Wrench for installing a scope?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I need a Torque Wrench for installing a scope? Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
First of all,I just got a Primary Arms 1-6x scope & an American Defense QD mount and was reading about mounting scopes and was wondering if you really need a torque wrench. American Defense is saying 20-25 in/lbs. If so, would the Wheeler Torque Wrench be ok:

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler...Wrench/dp/B0012AXR4S

Any installation tips would be appreciated, I have absolutely no knowledge about scopes.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It took me a very long time to start using torque wrenches when mounting scopes, and could only bemoan the fact that I didn’t discover them earlier. (Part of the reason is that when I started out I never saw any published torque information; typical guidance used to be, “Tighten them enough so they don’t come loose, but not so tight to strip or break anything.” Thanks a bunch.)

The usual guidance is to snug all the screws down and ensure the reticle is aligned correctly, then use the torque driver for final tightening in a cross pattern. When looking down at the four screws on a ring (assuming that number), 1 is upper left, 2 upper right, 3 lower left, 4 lower right. Although the exact sequence doesn’t matter, I will tighten 1, 3, 4 (or 2), 2 or 4.

What can be tricky without some way of holding the scope in place is keeping it from rotating as the screws are tightened. There is a tool* to help prevent movement or some people use a stack of business cards, but it’s necessary to have a flat mounting surface for it to work. Otherwise, I go slow with the tightening process and rotate among the screws until it seems there will be no chance of rotation, and then torque them to spec.

I have individual torque drivers for specific values, but that’s a lot more expensive than what you’re looking at. I really like not having to guess what’s enough or not too much, and having a torque driver saves a lot of time and frustration. If you mount only one scope in your life, having a dedicated tool probably isn’t necessary; if you’ll ever mount a second one, or move the first, it is, IMO.

* https://arisakadefense.com/products/optic-leveler

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
It would be wise.

I have seen some high quality optics with crushed tubes for sale because the owner got ham-fisted with a screwdriver.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Kinda like tightening lug nuts... Big Grin

I appreciate the quick responses!

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The usual guidance is to snug all the screws down and ensure the reticle is aligned correctly, then use the torque driver for final tightening in a cross pattern. When looking down at the four screws on a ring (assuming that number), 1 is upper left, 2 upper right, 3 lower left, 4 lower right. Although the exact sequence doesn’t matter, I will tighten 1, 3, 4 (or 2), 2 or 4.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Kinda like tightening lug nuts... Big Grin

Yup: Same principle. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Which wrench?

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
It would be wise.
It would be wise, indeed.
quote:
I have seen some high quality optics with crushed tubes for sale because the owner got ham-fisted with a screwdriver.
Somebody put the monkey fist to it!!

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Yes. Get a Wheeler Fat Wrench. Will keep you from damaging a scope, like I have.

I also use Wheeler scope mounting kit. Makes the job a lot easier.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a high end torque wrench but a wheelie fat wrench has served me well.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of these kits and it serves me well.

https://store.fixitsticks.com/...?variant=40906294861

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they are beneficial. I have the Wiha torque drivers in 3 ranges, but the Wheeler is probably close enough. 20 in lbs is not nearly as much torque as most guys think it should be. Stripped screws are rare when doing it right.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TampaSIG:
I have one of these kits and it serves me well.

https://store.fixitsticks.com/...?variant=40906294861

I have the same set in my range bag. It's not just rings but mounts, bases, grips, you name it. I also have an inch pound driver in my main tool box.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I use a Wheeler Fat Wrench. If your mount uses T-15 Torx screws, you can use this little gadget from Warne. Preset for 25 inch-pounds. I bought mine from Midway for about 18 bucks.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say you need one but an inch/Nm torque wrench comes in handy for all kinds of things besides gun stuff. I have CDI, IIRC they make the Snap-On torque wrenches.

Other people have posted good solutions to an expensive torque wrench.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Wheeler Fat Wrench and I am pleased with it.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Which wrench?

Wiha. Buy once. Cry once.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Borka makes nice torque wrenches too.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Wheeler Fat Wrench also here. I will never not use a torque wrench. I'm too heavy handed not to!! Frown

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Fascinating.

Yet another tool I need in my tool box.

20-25 in/lbs. isn't much.

I still need a good balanced hammer and punches. I'm just using Harbor Freight junk right now.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Go nuts on the hammer and get a Shooboy. Really.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post