SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Holy AR building Batman
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy AR building Batman Login/Join 
posted
I have previously built 2-3 lowers over the last 20 years and had purchased complete uppers. I had always used my tools (geared towards automotive) out of the garage.

In the last several years I have purchased or been gifted gunsmithing tools. Wow what a difference it makes having the correct tools. I have built 3 from scratch in the last year. Now the only way I buy ARs is in parts. Of course they tend to get expensive this way...... Wink

Posts: 1217 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by am94pm:

Wow what a difference it makes having the correct tools.

Wink

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have previously built 2-3 lowers over the last 20 years and had purchased complete uppers.
<SNIP>

For me it's been interesting watching the evolution of the AR Wink

I started shooting Service Rifle matches in the late 80's when M14 clone's dominated at our local range, very few people used the "Mouse Gun" and the really good shooters kind of looked down their nose at the AR. Even though I reloaded it was still an expensive hobby with child support and one of my own at home from a previous marriage. Then in the early 90's I was talking with a buddy that had built a couple AR's and I decided to make a change. I flipped through the pages of ShotGun News, called M&A Parts,bought a 20" fixed carry handle kit and my FFL buddy got me a Sendra receiver. Then the passion set in!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
I have previously built 2-3 lowers over the last 20 years and had purchased complete uppers.
<SNIP>

For me it's been interesting watching the evolution of the AR Wink

I started shooting Service Rifle matches in the late 80's when M14 clone's dominated at our local range, very few people used the "Mouse Gun" and the really good shooters kind of looked down their nose at the AR. Even though I reloaded it was still an expensive hobby with child support and one of my own at home from a previous marriage. Then in the early 90's I was talking with a buddy that had built a couple AR's and I decided to make a change. I flipped through the pages of ShotGun News, called M&A Parts,bought a 20" fixed carry handle kit and my FFL buddy got me a Sendra receiver. Then the passion set in!

I was late to the high power game,
had an AR since 1982 or so, built on a Sendra lower,

got an Eagle lower, Colt A2 small pin upper, and a SGW heavy barrel I had on hand,,

wore that barrel out and got an Eagle HB to replace it,
both were SS, 1:9,

I still have the rifle with the Eagle barrel,
got about 8K our of the SGW, this Eagle has maybe 4K thru it, if that,

the old SGW was better barrel group wise,

BTW

learned to build AR's in the early 80's from a Reserves Small Arms Tech

aluminum barrel blocks,
GI barrel wrench/torque wrench
flat blade screwdriver (grip screw/butt screw)
few punches and ball peen hammer,
grease,
CLP

all the tools you need, for a basic build,

I don't mess with all those new snazzy foreend etc

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Roll pin starting punches...a godsend IMHO Smile...and pretty much anything from these guys...

https://www.plastixrevolution....ons/ar15-vise-blocks

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Roll pin starting punches...a godsend IMHO Smile...and pretty much anything from these guys...

https://www.plastixrevolution....ons/ar15-vise-blocks

I modified my own punch for the bolt stop pin ... There wasn't anywhere to buy one then ... It was pre-Internet!

Aluminun barrel vise jaws to receiver clam shell to chamber wrench ... Whoda thunk it?

Of course, who ever thought there would be a $300 trigger for a mouse gun ... or people that would pay it?

posted Hide Post
Ive heard it said that the work goes faster and easier with better results when the correct tools are employed.

but at the other end ,

some say that Paul Klee with a tooth brush and butter knife could paint rings around others with thousands of dollars worth of artistic tools.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
There is a certain amount of self satisfaction gained from assembling AR platform rifle, and having the right tools and tactics (such as taping the lower when assembling the bolt catch to avoid the inevitable ding) is a big part of it.

Having the right tools is paramount.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
and having the right tools and tactics (such as taping the lower when assembling the bolt catch to avoid the inevitable ding) is a big part of it

Similarly, the 3/16" Allen wrench trick for installing the front pivot pin and detent helps prevent frustration and lost parts from that step of the lower assembly: https://www.itstactical.com/wa...ot-pin-installation/

(To make it even more secure, do this part of the assembly inside a clear gallon-sized Ziploc bag, which will trap the detent if you slip and it gets launched, preventing it from flying across the room and disappearing.)

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
and having the right tools and tactics (such as taping the lower when assembling the bolt catch to avoid the inevitable ding) is a big part of it

Similarly, the 3/16" Allen wrench trick for installing the front pivot pin and detent helps prevent frustration and lost parts from that step of the lower assembly: https://www.itstactical.com/wa...ot-pin-installation/

(To make it even more secure, do this part of the assembly inside a clear gallon-sized Ziploc bag, which will trap the detent if you slip and it gets launched.)

I use an slightly undersized Allen wrench to do the afore mentioned bolt catch install; the roll pin pushes the Allen out nicely and removes the need for the third arm to do the job. Another conventional tool in and unconventional usage.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm going to find out soon. Back in December, I ordered 3 receivers. Hadn't done anything with them yet until this week when I ordered:

Red dot optic
Magpul armorer's wrench
ERGO armorer's block
PSA 10.5" .223 Wylde M-Lok upper with BCG & CH
PSA classic pistol lower build kit with brace
Magpul MOE+ grip

That takes care of one receiver. Looking to build my next one in .223 Wylde with an 18" barrel.

Was considering a .300 but the cost of ammo may deter that idea for now.

Might go with another 16" AR even though I already have one. Would build it for my wife, who is left handed.

Really considering CMC 2 stage triggers for all of them... Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
It's bad for me, I've only bought 1 factory rifle, built up everything else. Look, I found a roll pin or a detent, better build another gun! Now, I only buy parts and yes, it is expensive!

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 1/4" clevis pin trick also works well to install the front takedown pin...I still use the 1 gallon plastic bag just in case Big Grin...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar...56K_death/4-362116/?

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Magpul armorer's wrench

Edmond...one thing to keep in mind is that due to it's closed design, the Magpul armorers wrench will not work on the castle nut on pistol buffer tubes...you will need an open wrench that slips onto the castle nut...the larger diameter of pistol buffer tubes will not let the Magpul slide down to engage the castle nut...they also will not work on AERO barrel nuts if using an AERO handguard.

Jimmy Buffet

posted Hide Post
quote:
Roll pin starting punches...a godsend IMHO Smile.]

YES THEY ARE!!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a certain amount of self satisfaction gained from assembling AR platform rifle, and having the right tools and tactics (such as taping the lower when assembling the bolt catch to avoid the inevitable ding) is a big part of it.

Having the right tools is paramount.

With the roll pin starters no need for tape.

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I bought some roll pin punches from BRD Engineering:

https://brdengineering.com/t/punches

I also bought a Gas Block Roll Pin Tool from Geissele:

https://geissele.com/roll-pin-tool.html

These tools are not expensive.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Magpul armorer's wrench

Edmond...one thing to keep in mind is that due to it's closed design, the Magpul armorers wrench will not work on the castle nut on pistol buffer tubes...you will need an open wrench that slips onto the castle nut...the larger diameter of pistol buffer tubes will not let the Magpul slide down to engage the castle nut...they also will not work on AERO barrel nuts if using an AERO handguard.

Bisleyblackhawk,

Thanks for looking out. Looks like I'll have to order an open end wrench. Of course, I can't just order that by itself... Big Grin

I did forget an ambi safety and ambi charging handle.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
I also bought a Gas Block Roll Pin Tool from Geissele:

https://geissele.com/roll-pin-tool.html

These tools are not expensive.

Gas blocks are using roll pins now? What happened to using solid taper pins?

Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

(To make it even more secure, do this part of the assembly inside a clear gallon-sized Ziploc bag, which will trap the detent if you slip and it gets launched, preventing it from flying across the room and disappearing.)

The 3/16 allen wrench is a nice touch, but a short piece of hacksaw blade to hold the detent back works well for me.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post