SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Chinese SKS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chinese SKS Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
Had a paratrooper model about 20 years ago and foolishly sold it. Paid $150 at the time, which seemed fair. I kind of want to add another to the stable though not sure what is fair to pay. My local shop has one that is pretty clean for about $450, non paratrooper model. Comes with bayonet and sling. Is this a decent investment now that these seem to be rising in value?

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this a decent investment now that these seem to be rising in value?

Rising in value? I don't see that. I would not pay $450 for a standard SKS even a norinco the better of the China mfg.

The norinco paratrooper SKS are far more desirable. You should have hung onto to yours. Just about any Russian SKS would be even more desirable.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
450 is about the going rate for an sks these days

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
$450 isn't bad for a very good condition one. I have both a Norinco and a Russian SKS and paid far more in 2012/3 than I did in the early 90's.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
If you reside in one of the lunatic cities / counties that want to prohibit "assault rifles" the SKS may rise in value.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1532 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would not pay $450 for a standard SKS

Then you will not have one. Because if you do want one; 450-550 is the going rate for a clean numbers matching Norinco.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
My local shop has one too for $450.
Going rate.
The days of cheap SKS are long gone.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sad but true. I'm glad I snagged a couple back when they were cheap.

SKSs are fun, handy rifles. But at $500ish, if you want an inexpensive semiauto 7.62x39, you're better off spending just a bit more and getting a decent moderately-priced AK or Vz. 58. (Unless you happen to live in one of the restrictive areas where only an SKS is legal.)

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you guys seen GB lately? Prices for the Norinco Paratrooper AK mag compatible model (MC-5D) is crazy, crazy, crazy!! high for a ANIB.

I don't think the Sport (thumbhole) AK mag compatible models are getting the high prices, but I could be wrong.

Take a few deep breathes before clicking on the links below....I told you so!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/755904390

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/760847673

I recently managed to snag a used MC-5D in excellent condition for around $550.00, but prices for the standard paratrooper (5 rd - 10 rd.) internal mag are more $600.00+ for excellent condition (matching numbers, bayonet, etc.) ones. $700.00+ for ANIB.

Think the appeal is a "survival" rifle, that won't be classified together with the "EBR" AR or AK, at least the standard model (10 rd. stripper clip) anyway.

OP, don't feel bad...who knew right? 20+ years ago these surplus guns were all dirt cheap, including the M1 Carbine, M1 Garand.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
How difficult is the conversion to a removeable mag? Does it work with AK mags? Are they reliable?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
How difficult is the conversion to a removeable mag? Does it work with AK mags? Are they reliable?

From what I've heard, the "duckbill" mags may or may not work too well on the standard SKS, but the MC-5D and Sport models were specifically made for AK mags.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are no AK mag conversion kits or the like available. A gunsmith might be able to custom fabricate something, but it wouldn't be worth the cost.

The AK mag compatible SKSs he's referencing were a few different models of Chinese commercial SKSs produced that way from the factory, which were available in small numbers in the early 1990s. They're not rare, but certainly much less common than standard Chinese commercial SKSs, and they command an exaggerated (and undeserved) premium on the used market these days.

There are various detachable "duckbill" SKS magazines available, which fit a standard SKS. However, they're notoriously unreliable. It's best to stick with the standard 10 round fixed magazine with stripper clips, and get an AK/VZ/Mini-30/etc. if you want a 7.62x39 rifle with a detachable magazine.

Duckbill SKS mags:

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

There are no AK mag conversion kits or the like available. A gunsmith might be able to custom fabricate something, but it wouldn't be worth the cost.

The AK mag compatible SKSs he's referencing were a few models of Chinese commercial SKSs produced that way from the factory. They're not rare, but certainly much less common than standard Chinese commercial SKSs, and they command an exaggerated premium.

There are various removable duckbill SKS magazines available, which simply drop in to a standard SKS. However, they're notoriously unreliable.

Best to stick with the standard 10 round fixed magazine with stripper clips, and get an AK/VZ/Mini-30/etc. if you want a removable magazine 7.62x39.

Yes, the paratrooper from what I've seen stated, was actually never used by the Chinese Military, it was a commercially made version by the importers who wanted a shorter version for the US market. And yes they are not rare, although thought to be, more MC-5D models were supposedly produced than the rest...but where are they?

Don't go paying thousands for one...but if you can sell one that's in your closet or attic for that kind of money...Merry Christmas!

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Yeah I remember having one of those detachable mags that came with it when I bought it. Never knew how to attach it so I just tossed it in a drawer and shot it with the stock 10 round fixed. Was still a teenager when I got it and had very little knowledge then I’m what I had. Wish I hadn’t sold it though I guess that’s what happens some times when you don’t research. Truth be told though nothing was skyrocketing back then in the world of AK/SKS’s so how would anyone would have known right?

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post