SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Car AR with a 7.5" barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car AR with a 7.5" barrel Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Looking through the PSA black friday sales has me thinking ....again, I am planning on building a AR pistol for truck carry. I was set on 10.5" but the shortness of a 7.5" with a krink fh up front appeals to me. I know this would be a nich weapon but heaven forbid I had to use it while in the truck 7.5" would be mighty handy.

Saying that I know even with premium ammo, 55gr tsx or GD it.is at max a 75m weapon.....not sure about the GD but Barnes claims expansion down to 1700fps. Both are barrier blind rounds but I have not seen any tests on auto glass.

Still even at PBR I can only expect ~ 570 ft/lb of energy and even with the krink fh quite a bit of muzzle blast......but recoil is next to nothing and at 10m+ it would be easier to hit with than a handgun.....

My HD weapon in a 11.5" sbr with a AAC 7.62 it wears the hybrid FH/ comp and without the can blast and sound would not be fun if fired from the interior of a vehicle....

Yes, 300blk would be better but I don't want to add another caliber to my stocks pile.

Thoughts?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I like my 7.5" for vehicle / motorhome travel protection.
Coupled mags & im GTG !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Nice, exactly what I thinking minus the brace....less to hang up in a vehicle.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a 7.5" Adams Arms piston upper I'll put on one of my SBR lowers from time to time. It is conpact and I know the odds of me ever "needing" it are extremely low, but I wouldn't feel under gunned with it.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I debated the 7” barrel, but went with a 10.5” for the carbine gas system and the much better velocity. I admit the short barrels sure look nice though.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’d buy a CZ Scorpion with the SB brace instead. Smaller and will fit in a laptop backpack. I went this route over a pistol AR, and I do have a sbr.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I also rock an AR with a 7.5 inch barrel in my vehicle in a get home bag.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at 300blk uppers in the 7-to-10" range for this type of role. i like the idea.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
I also rock an AR with a 7.5 inch barrel in my vehicle in a get home bag.

That blue turned out well...that looks pretty sharp Razz

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
10.5 is a short as I would personally go. shorter than that it's not that much handier but the blast picks up tremendously.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Was at the range yesterday zeroing a Romeo5 for mine.
The deer hunting guys there checking their zeros with their 45-70s said " Damn that thing is loud" !

LoL, well perhaps from where they're sitting but not from behind the damn thing !

Good enough for government work

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post