SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Chinese Type 81
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chinese Type 81 Login/Join 
Picture of Newf
posted
These were first offered for sale (pre-order) about a year and a half ago up here in Canada and it's been a bit of a soap opera when (if?) they would actually make it here. But looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel now - rifles are built and being shipped, should be a 6-8 week process now to get them here/clear customs/inspected/etc and in my hands. These are new production, semi-auto only, blued, with wood furniture (no beaver barf).

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I don't keep up with Canadian gun laws, but somewhere I thought you had restrictions on semi-auto rifles and/or high capacity magazines.

Can I assume you have one on order?

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Nice. I'm a mechanical idiot, so I always wanted one to mess with just to see what was different about it from the "standard" AK. Let us know how it shoots.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Interesting. I don't keep up with Canadian gun laws, but somewhere I thought you had restrictions on semi-auto rifles and/or high capacity magazines.

Can I assume you have one on order?

Our gun laws make about as much sense as dividing by zero LOL. It's a mish mash, but basically no full auto's, semi's (that can't be converted or are based on a full auto conversion) are ok. That is a bit of a grey area too as some firearms are outlawed by name only (such as AK's) so even living here, it's hard to keep up! But yes have one on order - a folder model.

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Nice. I'm a mechanical idiot, so I always wanted one to mess with just to see what was different about it from the "standard" AK. Let us know how it shoots.

These are more an evolution of the SKS rather than an AK type, developed by the Chinese when Russia refused them a license to build AK's at the time. Supposedly more accurate than either, but will certainly update on how it shoots when I have one in my hands to play with.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Newf:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Nice. I'm a mechanical idiot, so I always wanted one to mess with just to see what was different about it from the "standard" AK.

These are more an evolution of the SKS rather than an AK type

Correct. Despite the external similarities, internally the Type 81's short-stroke piston operating system is based on the SKS, not the AK's long-strike gas piston. (Much like the Czech Vz. 58.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Newf, that is an interesting looking rifle. I don't think I have ever seen a barrel quite like that one.

RogueJSK, are you really an AI? You have the most amazing breadth of knowledge I have ever seen and not in just a specific area. I always look forward to posts about unique, obscure or historical items, events or people because I know you are going to drop in explain it all and leave behind some equally interesting or intriguing bit of knowledge.

Thanks for an interesting post and for drawing RogueJSK into it!

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryrifle:
I don't think I have ever seen a barrel quite like that one.

The ribbed portion at the muzzle end of the barrel is designed for firing rifle grenades. Similar to the Yugo M59/66 SKS or M70 AK.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryrifle:
Newf, that is an interesting looking rifle. I don't think I have ever seen a barrel quite like that one.

RogueJSK, are you really an AI? You have the most amazing breadth of knowledge I have ever seen and not in just a specific area. I always look forward to posts about unique, obscure or historical items, events or people because I know you are going to drop in explain it all and leave behind some equally interesting or intriguing bit of knowledge.

Thanks for an interesting post and for drawing RogueJSK into it!

Henryrifle

I have a small but eclectic lol collection HR, I like things that are a bit different or unique as well. Sharing such interests on like minded forums with knowledgeable people as found on here is just part of the enjoyment of the sport/pasttime.