SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Primary Arms releases 1-6x with "K.I.S.S." reticle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primary Arms releases 1-6x with "K.I.S.S." reticle Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
Previously announced at SHOT Show in January, Primary Arms has just released their new 1-6x with a simplified reticle.

http://www.primaryarms.com/pa1-6x24sfp-kiss

Their previous 1-6x scopes have good reviews, but I always found the ACSS reticle to have too much going on for its relatively diminutive size, and several features that were extraneous for my purposes. Their ACSS-CQB variant used on some of their optics is a little better and a little faster, but still on the busy side.

Here's the new KISS/Kwik Intelligent Shooting System (also Keep It Simple, Stupid) reticle:

This simpler KISS reticle should allow for even more rapid engagement at shorter ranges, and a cleaner view at longer ranges, for those who don't need features like lead estimation/range estimation/bullet drop compensation/etc. It seems like it'd be more ideal for short and medium-range competition, defense, or hunting than the busier ACSS.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Hell, that wouldn't make a bad fixed 1X reticle. Without any kind of hash marks, though, is there any real reason to have the vertical and horizontal lines?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The first thing to come to mind is to help when leveling the reticle while mounting the scope tube.

Might also serve to draw the eye towards the center point.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The vertical line could be used as two long distance aiming points if you have time to sit there and aim at something. Just have to shoot it to figure out what they would zero to.

Posts: 147 | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Hell, that wouldn't make a bad fixed 1X reticle. Without any kind of hash marks, though, is there any real reason to have the vertical and horizontal lines?

Yes, with no illumination or just plain difficult illumination situations - example being if it's dark outside and you have the illumination set lower (appropriately) then a bright light comes up or you illumination something with a WML - the illuminated reticle is washed out - the bolder lines bring your eye to the center of the scope and you can still shoot accurately without having to take the time to adjust the scope reticle illumination.

NF 1-4 has a similar reticle setup. http://www.nightforceoptics.com/nxs/1-4x24

And lets be honest - 85% of users never do anything with the Primary Arms ACQSSABCDEFG reticles, other than ooogle them and think how badass it is to have if the SHTF.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

The horizontal lines I think are particularly useful. I have a pure chevron illuminated reticle on an optic, and everyone who shoots it impacts low their first few shots. After thinking about it, I've concluded the eye naturally sees the larger mass of the chevron as POA instead of the very tip, which is smallest.

I could be wrong, but I do think some horizontal lines would draw attention to the chevron point.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of that reticle and think the lines would be helpful. Especially if you were aiming at a red target (bulls eye). It would seem they would also be a good visual for keeping the rifle parallel.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of it, but what about trying to range a target? As has been said seems like a good 1x reticle.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I almost never question anyone’s decisions about things like sight reticles. If someone believes he will be using ammunition that closely matches the bullet drop compensating (BDC) markings of something like the ACSS reticle to engage fully upright shoot-on-sight man-sized targets out to 800 yards(?), then such reticles offer obvious advantages.

There are, however, many other methods of determining both target distance and point of aim adjustments. Such techniques date far back into the days when normal infantry weapons were equipped with iron sights only. They were not as accurate and precise as the tools modern technology gives us (including laser rangefinders), but they were usable.

If I were required to engage targets that couldn’t be hit by just moving my point of aim up a little as necessary, I would prefer having a fully calibrated reticle like the traditional military mildot style or, even better, a more refined version like Leupold’s Tactical Milling Reticle*. Reticles fully marked in calibrated mils or minutes of angle (as some prefer) provide all the capabilities of BDC reticles—plus much more. They are admittedly not as quick and convenient to use under limited, just right circumstances, but they’re more versatile and more accurate in most long range shooting situations.

I believe the KISS reticle has its advantages for the shooter who values fast target acquisition over using a reticle for precise ranging and long distance point of aim adjustments. I do note, though, that the manufacturer’s manual indicates the reticle is calibrated in a few mil measurements. Because the reticle is located at the second focal plane, it will be accurate at only one magnification (presumably 6×, but I don’t see it specified), but that’s better than nothing.

* I have a Leupold Mark 6 1-6×20mm scope with a version of the Tactical Milling Reticle mounted on an AR, and I believe the reticle is about ideal for both the sight and the type of shooting I would ever anticipate doing with the weapon.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post