SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sub-$200 Red Dot for AR15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sub-$200 Red Dot for AR15 Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Suggestions?

Thoughts on the Vortex Strikefire II? Available local for about $180.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I have a StrikeFire on an AR pistol and I've been pleased with it...I bought it on a PSA "daily deal" with 10 Magpul PMags for $179...they run this from time to time...

Currently they are offering the Vortex SPARC with 10 PMags for $199...pretty good deal...

http://palmettostatearmory.com...ag-30-magazines.html

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I’ve bought 3 Primary Arms Red dots over the years at 89.95 or so. Never had a problem with them. I’ll buy more.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Vortex SparcAR can be had for around $175.

Takes a AAA battery. I have been bouncing one around in trucks and tractors for about a year now on the original battery and with a perfectly retained 200 yard zero.

I like it.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I have one (Strikefire) & like it but fair warning.
The battery life is quite short.
Still it's a nice looking site.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/up...anual_strikefire.pdf

From Vortex site

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
My only red dot is Vortex Strikefire II, I like it a lot.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I like the Vortex Sparc AR. Runs off a AAA battery.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
So, looking into it more & comparing the Sparc to the Strikefire, I don't think the physical size is an issue for me between them.

Seems the 2 vs 4 MOA dot may be the decider. Any practical issues going with one over the other?
The rifle is predominantly HD & typically comes along to the range.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Primary arms MD-ADS or the newer version. Rugged as heck and 50k hours battery life.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Burris Fastfire does a good job.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Primary arms MD-ADS or the newer version. Rugged as heck and 50k hours battery life.

I concur.

Posts: 710 | Registered: November 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

I have one of these on my SBR. I'm certainly not gentle with it. It's held zero well and has been on for well over a year on the same battery.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of my RDS are Aimpoints/EOTech but I wanted to try a budget red dot so picked up a Holosun HS503G-ACSS. I put it in a Tangodown IO cover and it looks like a T2. The auto on/off works well and the reticle is similar to my EOTechs (you can get the HS503GU for an even more similar reticle). I plan to put this through it’s paces at a rifle class next year and we’ll see how the advertised 50k hour battery does. Sure it probably isn’t as bomb proof as my Aimpoints but for the money it’s good value. I’ll be picking up a few more. I believe Holosun makes Primary Arms’ red dots.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
The Romeo4 from Sig has been great on my rifle. It is similar in size to the aimpoint not too bulky to increase weight.

What impresses me most is the MOTAC feature that shuts off after 90 seconds and once I grab the rifle is comes on automatically. The earlier model A and B's are decently priced under $200. TGS has them on sale.

Posts: 952 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squad13:
The Romeo4 from Sig has been great on my rifle. It is similar in size to the aimpoint not too bulky to increase weight.

What impresses me most is the MOTAC feature that shuts off after 90 seconds and once I grab the rifle is comes on automatically. The earlier model A and B's are decently priced under $200. TGS has them on sale.

Didn't realize the Romeo4 was in the budget, I'd only seen the next model up which is over $300.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
If you save another $100 you can find a used Aimpoint. Easy decision for me. Not even a second thought Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot is the answer.

$150
50k hour life
CR2032 battery
Aimpoint Micro mount compatibility

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe Holosun makes Primary Arms’ red dots.

And SIG Sauer Red Dots.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post