SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Budget, But Quality, AR-15's
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budget, But Quality, AR-15's Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do you not recommend these for HD?

Don’t get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against any of them. I like my PSA rifle a great deal and when it was the best I could afford I happily placed my trust in it. Likewise, the Ruger and S&W are nice rifles and if they had been around when I needed an affordable choice I would have gone with either of them. Also, I didn’t say anything about home defense. Instead, when I said "pear shaped" I meant societal unrest, zombie apocalypse, coronal mass ejection, aliens have landed with a book titled How To Serve Man, etc etc.

If I wake up tomorrow and find that Clinton has assumed the throne it won’t be the PSA that I have in mind.

Likewise, if I ever find myself watching as a horde of zombies stumble towards me and the guy next to me has a Ruger I promise I won’t so much as raise an eyebrow

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob RI:
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Take a look at Aero Precision

I’ll second that recommendation. Brownell’s has them on sale every so often.

I’ll third that...mine has been excellent overall.

I'll fourth this. I put together an AR for a friend and used an Aero upper. Excellent build quality and accuracy.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Would not hesitate to buy a Windham.

---------------------------

I'll second that.

Windham

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're wondering what's inside of the PSA AR (LPK)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfS8PFNR1PY

Aero Precision...LPK

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-standard-lpk.html

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
If a rifle is going to be HD why not spend a little more on a KAC, Colt, Daniel Defence, LMT, or BCM?
Higher cost doesn't guarantee better reliability/durability.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Smith & Wesson, lifetime warranty. Good customer service.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt LE6920 will always be the standard for AR15, it may not be the prettiest or follow the latest trends, but has quality where it counts for function and reliability. It also holds the most value when AR prices go down and increases the most in value when prices are up. You can probably find them now for about $750 if you look hard enough. Waiting around for holiday sales could knock another $50 off. If I could swing it, the Colt would be my first choice.

My second budget choice would be Aero Precision AC-15 Mid-length from Brownells for $630. Wait for the 10% coupon codes that come out every other week or so with free shipping for a price under $560.

My third choice would be Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport II for $469.

Posts: 36 | Registered: August 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
quote:

I'll second that.

... +3.

Given that I was learning the AR platform, the WW SRC did all asked of it, at the range.

I do share a similar view of other manufacturers for HD reliance.

A KAC or Colt would be next for me.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think BCM has lost their cachet.For what they charge for a upper AND A BOLT CARRIER, YOU CAN NOW BUY A DECENT RIFLE

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Take a look at Aero Precision

+1

Very solid for the money, good nitrided barrels, and lots of nice free-float handguard options too.

I would start here if I started over...

Posts: 5099 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blasto:
I think BCM has lost their cachet.For what they charge for a upper AND A BOLT CARRIER, YOU CAN NOW BUY A DECENT RIFLE
Yeah, they aren't cheap but market forces have yet to push their prices lower or go back to giving free BCGs with uppers.

So someone appears to be buying them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
quote:

I'll second that.

... +3.

Given that I was learning the AR platform, the WW SRC did all asked of it, at the range.

I do share a similar view of other manufacturers for HD reliance.

A KAC or Colt would be next for me.

+4 for the Windham. I have also had a good experience with the S&W Sport II and the Sig M400. For a little extra, the Colt 6920 is hard to beat.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been very pleased with both my S&W M&P-15 and my Ruger AR-556.

Hickok45 did a nice test of both on his Youtube channel.

As for PSA, I've built three with friends and neighbors and have found they're decent if you get the PSA (not PTAC).

Bud's has the Ruger and the S&W M&P Sport II on sale for about $499, and the PSA build (assuming you do a daily deal) would be about $299-$350 and a PSA lower is about $40 for a total of $400.

We had some Windhams at work and they were also quite good, but I don't own one and it's been several years since I looked at them. Glad to hear they're still good. Smile

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I've got a rifle built around a PSA bolt, bolt carrier, and barrel that I would not hesitate to pick up for a sticky situation.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
If I had to settle for $500 it would be a smith. I'd hold out for a colt around $800 if possible though.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have Windham Weaponry MPCs at work and they have held up very well.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the budget side I'd recommend looking at the S&W Sport model. The late Pat Rogers of EAG Tactical (a know gun breaker) often remarked in his writings that the S&W Sports did very well in class and did not exhibit the issues that other mid to budget range guns did.

As alternates to the Sport, I'd look at another STAG or a STAG plus or possibly Aero Precision (I've used Aero lowers and a BA barrel and liked them).

Or if you can save up the money I'd look at the Colt Trooper, 6920 or 6720. While Colt's stock has fallen in some circles and they've hade a few mistakes as of late, they still make a decent rifle and their prices have fallen to the reasonable range on some models.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Around here, the best deals going have been on the Smith & Wesson, M&P Sport II from $499 up to about $550.

I've shot one; the gun is really nice, but the trigger needs some work. An ALG ACT trigger at one of their sales is only around $60, and that will clean up the pull nicely.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DPMS Panther Oracle $389. I have a few friends with one and they are very happy with them.

https://grabagun.com/dpms-pant...mpaign=Daily%20Email

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
You cannot go wrong with PSA, and their Daily Deal emails are dangerous. Dangerous, I say!

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post