SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Budget, But Quality, AR-15's
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budget, But Quality, AR-15's Login/Join 
posted
Hello all!

I used to own a Stag Arms Model 2 that I unfortunately had to sell during the brief period I was homeless.

I have a few hundred rounds of 5.56, plenty of magazines, and a bunch of extras I bought for my rifle while I was deployed, and I'm in the market to buy another AR.

My first instinct was a Colt or another Stag, but there are tons of manufacturers out there. Looking at a few sites there are some in the 4-600 dollar range that would be perfect since they wouldn't break the bank (like PSA rifles, for example) but I don't know enough about them to know if they're worth buying.

So once again I kneel, humbly, before the vast knowledge of SIGforum for advice and guidance.

Is there a recommended manufacturer of budget AR's, or is this a case of waiting a year or two and socking away enough for another 12-1300 dollar one?

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought an M&P sport and used it for a year without cleaning (just proper lube, I was experimenting to see what it could do). I used it for Dept. quals, classes and general shooting. It never missed a beat.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I like my Del-ton

http://www.del-ton.com

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Del Ton Sport has treated me right, pretty cheap right now.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
It depends on what you're looking to get.

If it's a hobby or a range gun, there are a lot of decent to good cheaper options. Del-Ton, Palmetto State Armory, S&W M&P Sport II, Ruger AR556, Aero Precision, Sig, Spikes Tactical, Rock River, the list goes on. Tons of lowers, stripped lowers, complete rifles, a lot of options as low as $300, all the way up to $800 for the base offering of some of them.

If you're looking for a rifle that would also serve to bet your life on, the list shrinks a bit. Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, HK, LMT. Maybe a few others I'm forgetting. Colt 6920 is about the cheapest off the shelf rifle out of this group. Basic M4 clone, you can find them with Magpul furniture for a bit more. The 6920 drops into $700 territory from time to time lately.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Aero Precision

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I’ll second that recommendation. Brownell’s has them on sale every so often.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I have a PSA and it's always gone bang the few years I've owned it. You can get them pretty cheap now, AR market is very soft.

But I got mine before the market fell off the table for them.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
Where in PA are you?

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Another vote for PSA.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
Where in PA are you?

York area.

Thanks all! I'll be looking a bit more into all of these. Del Ton seemed cheap to me to the point I was a bit wary of them, but sounds like that may be a misconception. I'd never heard of Aero Precision before so I'll definitely be looking into them!

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I’ll second that recommendation. Brownell’s has them on sale every so often.

I’ll third that...mine has been excellent overall.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would agree with Rustpot. If this is a range toy you can’t go wrong with PSA, S&W, and Ruger.

However, if this will pull double duty as both a range toy and if sh!t hits the fan I would go with his other suggestion. While my PSA is a great plinker I will reach for my BCM first when/if things go pear shaped.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
quote:
If this is a range toy you can’t go wrong with PSA, S&W, and Ruger.

Why do you not recommend these for HD?

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Any of the afore mentioned will do just fine. Maybe look at DPMS too. I think all of them would function in just about any roll. I would prefer a mid length vs carbine. But mostly a preference thing. They say mid length gas system is a bit more reliable. I can see that.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
quote:
If this is a range toy you can’t go wrong with PSA, S&W, and Ruger.

Why do you not recommend these for HD?

There is nothing wrong with those three manufacturers, but there are a few manufacturers who have real combat experience and a lot of people take that into consideration, Knight's Armament and Colt come to mind. If a rifle is going to be HD why not spend a little more on a KAC, Colt, Daniel Defence, LMT, or BCM? I have range toys and and top tier rifles and I know without question the ones that I will grabbing.

Having said all that, if you have proven your rifle reliable than by all means use it for HD.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Another vote for PSA. By buying a complete lower to go with a barreled upper, you can get the configuration that you want. I have two PSA's that are absolutely reliable.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smith and Wesson.

Would not hesitate to buy a Windham.

---------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My budget / beater build is an Aero Precision lower that I built and paired with an Aero complete Mid-length upper & BCG.

I did have to send the lower back for a CRAZY tight magwell. Aluminum 30s would work, every other magazine type (metal 20s, all polymer) you could used without a magazine catch - you had to tear them out, if you could even get them in.

AP did take it back and fix it, so I have no complaints.

If I wanted to buy a complete rifle in the $500 range, I'd likely go S&W MP Sport line . Grabagun has them for $499. Ruger AR556 is another $500 with a great warranty that you likely wont get from PSA.

$800-ish gets you a Colt of some variety - might take some shopping around but you can do it.

My favorite build is Mega Gator Lower and BCM complete uppers.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Another vote for PSA,
Have several in different configurations,only have two rock rivers at present,gave my old pre ban colt to one of my sons.
PSA run as good as the other two I mentioned

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post