SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Budget, But Quality, AR-15's
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budget, But Quality, AR-15's Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Take a look at Aero Precision

$40 AM 15 lowers are now $32 with the 2018 Shot Show 20% off deal, expires Monday. SKU is F1ANSL. Sorry, I'm on a smart phone and can't post the full link.

www.aimsurplus.com

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prices have fallen so much since MAGA that the price of a Colt today is what the price of the more budget versions were 18 months ago. You can find good to great used colts ( being dumped on the market by speculators who bought high thinking they would sit on a gold mine when hitlery got elected) for only a little more than the bargain brands. I have had/ assembled a bunch of budget rifles that ran fine, but in the long run you will never be disappointed you spent an extra $150 on a colt

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My PSA mid-length ran like a champ on its first day at the range this weekend. Really happy with it.

My other PSA carbine has never had an issue either.

I lot of their components are from LW Schneider, who makes components for other big names.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
I got me a Windham Weaponry MPC with a 16” M4 style barrel that is chrome lined 4150 chrome moly vanadium 11595E steel, manganese phosphate finish, carpenter 159 steel bolt that’s MPI tested, chrome lined bolt carrier that is 8620 steel, gas key is staked better than most AR’s I’ve owned. But it’s got a 1/9” twist barrel that I’m not crazy about but I don’t think I’ve ever shot anything over 69 gr anyway so I don’t think it will matter also has a non mil spec buffer tube that does not matter as I’m going to put a A2 fixed stock on it anyway. It’s got the removable carry handle on it which I plan to leave on. It seems to get really good reviews and they are supposed to have a lifetime warranty that transfers from owner to owner. Some pretty good videos on YouTube. It’s $600.00 if ordered online at Buds but $619 plus tax if you purchase it in the showroom. Fit and finish on the rifle is excellent.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: techguy,

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best I could find for a NIB 6920 was $729.00. According to the ad, this is with the standard hand guard, stock, & magpul rear sight.

For those thinking about getting one...

https://gunprime.com/product/c...k-30rd-le6920-ar-15/

Note: I have not purchased any item from this seller, so ask questions before buying.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rpm2010,

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GTO
posted Hide Post
I paid $925 for a 6920 Magpul ODG 1 year ago. No regrets.

Posts: 242 | Location: Gig Harbor WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember back in 2010, they were going for $1100.00 (the old "restricted" roll marks), so in today's soft market they have come down quite a bit.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was on gun broker yesterday and someone is selling a version of the Colt expanse ( not a 6920 I know) that has the GI chrome lined 14.5” barrel with a perm attached long flash suppressor for legal length at a buy now price of $483. Don’t think you could go wrong at that price!

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't own an Expanse if you gave it to me.

It's not a Colt.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Was on gun broker yesterday and someone is selling a version of the Colt expanse ( not a 6920 I know) that has the GI chrome lined 14.5” barrel with a perm attached long flash suppressor for legal length at a buy now price of $483. Don’t think you could go wrong at that price!

The link below is a technical review of the Colt Expanse by a former Colt Employee, Small Arms Review Contributor and Author of Black Rifle 2.

Chris Bartocci's The Colt Expanse,The Pathetic Pony

Bottom Line for those that don't want to watch the video: Para is right, it's not a COLT.

Given that it's not a Colt and that It's new to the market, I'd still point towards the Stag and the S&W.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have a budget 16" rifle that isn't exactly budget because of the silencer and the $1k optic.... but I used a palmetto freedom nitride barrel and their premium bolt carrier group.

No malfunctions yet and it gets run hard and gets filthy because of the silencer. I haven't really tested accuracy because it wasn't built for precision. When I was zeroing, I was getting groups of under 2 MOA with the silencer attached. It groups slightly better without the silencer, but I wasn't really trying to shoot small groups, I was just trying to get zeroed.

Accurate enough for steel plates out to about 550, which is as far as I have stretched it out.

Stick with their premium bolt carrier groups, and their freedom or premium barrels, and I don't think you will be disappointed.

I have built more than a couple and I trust my own QC. I have seen other home built ARs that are obviously janked up from day 1.

If you are buying a complete rifle I would trust Colt QC over Palmetto, but no builder is infallible. Verify by shooting it a bunch.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly I may need to put this on hold for a while, but I'll keep all the advice handy!

Not quite sure what happened but my taxes were WAY off this year from previous ones. Rather than a decent refund, I ended up owing about $100. Oh well. The one year I didn't look at the refund as purely a bonus and actually had plans for it, of course Big Grin

I'll start socking away $100 or so a month and by the holidays I think I can swing a rifle!

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
Sadly I may need to put this on hold for a while, but I'll keep all the advice handy!

Not quite sure what happened but my taxes were WAY off this year from previous ones. Rather than a decent refund, I ended up owing about $100. Oh well. The one year I didn't look at the refund as purely a bonus and actually had plans for it, of course Big Grin

I'll start socking away $100 or so a month and by the holidays I think I can swing a rifle!

I always try to pay a little.

I don't like giving those cocksuckers in Washington an interest free loan.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:

I always try to pay a little.

I don't like giving those cocksuckers in Washington an interest free loan.

I usually do. I started a new job and got promoted pretty quickly, but it was August so the new pay only took effect the last three months. My total income was actually almost exactly the same as previous years.

I have to double check the tax docs I filed with my new company. I probably actually did deductions "properly" this year so I almost broke even, as opposed to overpaying and getting the refund. I'll adjust that for this year.

Again thanks all! And I hope others get use out of this thread, it's been really informative. I had never heard of some of these brands, and wrote a few others off *because* I hadn't heard of them prior to seeing them on grabagun or the like.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up a Windham CDI and the quality is excellent. Came with a Magpul grip, CTR stock, and backup sights. $799 at Bud's.

I like it so much I bought another.

And Aim Surplus usually has really good deals on Aero Precision uppers and lowers.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6038 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
PSA premium is pretty solid. Their "buy two halves and put it together for $279.99" tier...not so much. You are the quality control.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
PSA premium is pretty solid. Their "buy two halves and put it together for $279.99" tier...not so much. You are the quality control.

The two mid length CHF uppers (made by FNH) I have from them have been solid. I also like their EPT lower parts kit.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
some threads are like zombies.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
some threads are like zombies.

Truly. I doubt the OP is still seeking a budget replacement for his Stag five and a half years later.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I don’t need another AR, whole or parts. A PSA deal the other week almost had me, near $350 or so to get complete rifle.

In the law of reverse diminishing returns, hard to go wrong.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post