SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Couldn't help it. Bought another project shotgun.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Couldn't help it. Bought another project shotgun. Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
Picked it up for $229 shipped.

Ohio National Guard trade-ins. Old Wingmasters with 2-3/4" chambers.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoors...ducts2.cfm/ID/210181

It will be interesting to see what kind of condition it arrives in.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I ordered one as well. Actually, I was going to order one of these and the $239 ones with the folding stock but had a meeting and when I came back 20 mins later the folders were sold out. I kicked myself because SOS's checkout is pretty darn fast, with a free case and free shipping, its a crazy deal. The bayonet lug on the end is worth more than $200 alone. I'm pretty "pumped" about this.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
That's funny! I bought it simply for the bayonet lug!

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Those sold out quickly Frown

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Magpul make furniture for these? If so that’s an awesome upgrade for cheap.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Magpul make furniture for these? If so that’s an awesome upgrade for cheap.

Yes...

That's my old 1974 Wingmaster with Magpul furniture, magnum police barrel and flex-tab upgrades.

I may send the metal off to CCR to be refinished and put on some magpul furniture and call it done.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
I suppose I should be grateful that all y'all bought these before I beat up my credit card some more.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
I'm curious to see the condition as well.

Post up pictures when it arrives! -C

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to the interwebs, they had some 700 full stock ones and some 370 folders. All sold in one day. Sportsman Outdoor Superstore, like the ninjas they are, have already shipped mine. It arrives Monday. I love these guys.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I got my shipping notification today. Should see it by Friday. I'll post pics when I get it.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
Mine came in today, metal is in great shape, wood looks like it has seen some use, about par for the pics. Bore looks great, typical carrued lots, shot little. The Flambau case is pretty nice, handy smaller size. I deeply regret not buying more. I heard they capped orders at two of each type. Hope yours comes out nice.

:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
If anyone wants to sell their bayonet lug, I am highly interested.

I've been trying to find one or a replica for years.

Anyhow, it would be appreciated.

All the best
Billy

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Dang I would’ve snapped one of these up.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
From what I'm seeing in pictures of these delivered shotguns the condition is far superior to the samples used in the initial sellers advertisement. In short they look really, really good.

These were easily the bargain of 2018.

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
GREAT JOB on your FREE shotguns guys!! Those bayonet lugs are worth more than that!!

Wow, what a deal!

And reminder, don't use them (as is) for defensive use. Must have a Flexitab, before you use it for defensive use, in my personal and professional (870 armorer) opinion. And the best, cheapest way (free) to get the Flexitab parts is to buy a used pawn shop 870, swap the parts, and then sell the unwanted 870 for the same price that you bought it for.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
Nice piece of history there. Too bad I missed out on the deal. I would have bought one of each, the folder and the fixed if I would have known about it.

I wonder how many of those are out there from other government entities.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Well, looks like mine was from the bottom of the barrel. The stock is pretty scuffed and there's some surface rust. The bayonet screws were tough to get out and I had to use channel locks with padding to get the magazine tube end cap off.

All-in-all, the gun was handled a lot but shot very little. The bore was squeaky clean. The parts show very little wear. I'll upgrade the bolt, slide and shell carrier to the flexi-tab style. I'll either replace the ejector or cut the existing one to handle 3" mags. I'll most likely replace the barrel with a 3" mag version.

I've got to figure out what to do about the bayonet mount. I don't know if I should have it re-blued or refinished like the rest of the steel parts.

I might send them over to Brad at CCR and have him give it a good paint job. I've got a SAGE pistol grip on order and will eventually install a hydraulic buffer tube and a set of Magpul furniture.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I've got to figure out what to do about the bayonet mount. I don't know if I should have it re-blued or refinished like the rest of the steel parts.

I know sometimes redoing things is part of the fun, but I'd leave the gun as it and use for a home defense/truck gun.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the folders just sold online for $1,200, there are two wood stock auctions going on right now at $500ish each with several days left. I'd keep these shotguns exactly as-is. There are plenty of other 870s out there to tacticool.

Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
IMHO I would grit blast the whole thing and give it a good park job then a nice OD green GunKote or CeraKote finish. Strip the wood and give it a Tung oil finish. That's what I did with my 870 Police Magnum and I think it looks pretty sharp. YMMV

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post