SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thinking about buying a Tavor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about buying a Tavor Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
As the titles says.

I heard that the new Tavors have the upgraded trigger that went into the X95. True?

Is the X95 more ergonomic? Has anyone owned both?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
MAC has a pretty good comparison video on YouTube between the X95 and the original Tavor, as far as ergonomics.

I don’t know a whole lot about the original, but I have shot one, and I do own an x95. As far as the trigger pack, I believe this is very much like the M&P pistol debate. Yes, the newer triggers are better, but still not as good as an Apex. I ended up going with the Geissele trigger pack and lightning bow, and the improvement is noticable over the stock x95 trigger.

One of the things the original has going for it is the rail locations. The x95 has a neato system of sliding covers, but mounting a light in a decent location and still maintaining a comfortable grip are not two things that go hand in hand.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I found the MAC video.
Very well done.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
While the x95 and the Tavor are fairly close in measurements, the x95 just feels a lot smaller.

I love my x95.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
IWI recently announced that the Tavor SARs will be discontinued and their offering will focus on the X95.

So maybe this is a good time to pick up the original Tavor which may gain some value down the road as a collector item.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own one of the original SAR's and have at least handled a friends X95. Don't think there is really that much of a difference. The X95 does have a slightly better trigger. However, both are pretty bad and if you care about triggers you will want to upgrade. The X95 is probably a little more intuitive for the AR owner.

However, X95's (particularly some of the early ones) have a reputation for not being that great as far as accuracy (although some dispute this). I have found my SAR to be approx. 2-2.5 MOA with Wolf Gold; and I suspect some of this is me and the fact that I'm using a 3x scope that's not really designed for bench rest shooting.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have an early X95 and using a cheap Primary Arms red dot I can get headshots easily on our outdoor range (200ft). That's accurate enough for me.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of the new 7.62 Tavor that's coming out.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought into Tavors. The trigger is heaavvvvy. YouTube video showed how to remove second trigger return spring that original Tavor didn’t have. Easily removed and easily replaced if you encounter issues. I never encountered issues and it dropped weight of pull by a metric shit ton.

I really like the platform and hope them discontinuing the old style makes them more valuable because I much prefer the X95.

I hate the trigger guard. I never know if I should hold it like a vertical fore grip or use it Israeli style. It’s odd. I like that on the X95 you can replace the assembly with an American style trigger guard that covers just the trigger. Add it normal AR style mag release and covered rails and trimmer shape, it’s a total win.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
yep. I went with the X95 today. It feels great, and I cannot wait to get out and shoot it soon!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! My X95 has been treating me well...it’s also a guest favorite when I take people to the range.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I bought into Tavors. The trigger is heaavvvvy. YouTube video showed how to remove second trigger return spring that original Tavor didn’t have. Easily removed and easily replaced if you encounter issues. I never encountered issues and it dropped weight of pull by a metric shit ton.

I really like the platform and hope them discontinuing the old style makes them more valuable because I much prefer the X95.

I hate the trigger guard. I never know if I should hold it like a vertical fore grip or use it Israeli style. It’s odd. I like that on the X95 you can replace the assembly with an American style trigger guard that covers just the trigger. Add it normal AR style mag release and covered rails and trimmer shape, it’s a total win.

What is the Israeli style?

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The X95 has the improved and lighter trigger by default.

The X95's trigger pack will fit in the SAR, but the SARs do not come with the improved trigger.

The X95's trigger guard configuration is user interchangeable. It comes with a traditional style trigger guard, but if you like the saber style guard, you can change to that configuration.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The X95 I bought new came with the same cutlass trigger guard as the SAR. The grip with the normal high trigger guard was something that you had to buy separately.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
The X95 I bought new came with the same cutlass trigger guard as the SAR. The grip with the normal high trigger guard was something that you had to buy separately.

correct, you have to buy it separately. I forget how much it was, but I don't recall it being a lot. It's a nice improvement for me as I despised the original trigger guard.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It's $30. + shipping.

Wait till you need a bunch of stuff then buy it from their store.

I was just at the store. I bent and damaged my cocking bar so I ordered another one.

duh

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
It's $30. + shipping.

Wait till you need a bunch of stuff then buy it from their store.

I was just at the store. I bent and damaged my cocking bar so I ordered another one.

duh

Try Bull Pup Armory. They are out of stock of the grips at the moment. I also bent my cocking bar so I ordered it and a.firing pin and grip panels yesterday. They already free shipped! Shipping is free for vets and LEOs.

Edit, just looked, I should have it by Saturday! They are located in the 704

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Israeli style is multiple points of contact on gun. Basically in this regard you run your forearm flat against the front of the “trigger” guard. Watch IWI videos they do it all the time. It is a bit too contortionist for me.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I will order from them in the future.

I couldn't get use to the cutlass style grip. My hand would constantly slide up behind the trigger whenever I changed mags so I bought the pistol style grip. And I wasn't thinking when I pinned the suppressor mount (i switched to the skinny back plate). I would have to unpin it to take it apart. I am just going to cut a bigger hole in the front end so the mount can slide through. Cheaper than sbr'ing the thing.

So far I still hate shooting it suppressed.

Not minority enough!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

correct, you have to buy it separately. I forget how much it was, but I don't recall it being a lot. It's a nice improvement for me as I despised the original trigger guard.

That's unfortunate, but I stand corrected in that case.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post