SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thinking about buying a Tavor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about buying a Tavor Login/Join 
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I joined the Tavor X95 club myself. So far I’m pretty impressed with the rifle and hope to get it to the range soon. I’ve already installed the Manticore Arms curved buttpad, traditional pistol grip, and MBUS Pro BUIS. I have an AimPoint PRO that I’ll be mounting fairly soon as well.

I like the ergonomics of this rifle and I’m amazed at just how short it is. I don’t have much trigger time on an AR-15 (less than 20 rounds) but I find the trigger on the X95 more than adequate, maybe even comparable to that of my Glock 19 but lighter. I don’t plan on using this for long distance precision shooting so I think it’ll definitely meet my needs.

Next to my 10/22 for reference

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Spiff_P239,

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
holy shit that picture is enormous!
I'm on a 5k resolution screen and the pic is still huge!

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
You didn't like the built in back up sights? The front one should have a tritium insert.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
holy shit that picture is enormous!
I'm on a 5k resolution screen and the pic is still huge!

Resized the images. I'd been uploading from my phone so I didn't have the size options on ImageShack's mobile site.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
You didn't like the built in back up sights? The front one should have a tritium insert.

I like them, just wanted the dual rear aperture of a more traditional AR-15 style BUIS.

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Keep the gas cylinder clean! I worked on mine all night. The bolt/recoil assembly was binding causing all sorts of malfunctions. The gas cylinder is the tube above the barrel. Mine was causing a bind with the piston causing the bolt to not close fully resulting in a click without a bang. I fully disassembled the rifle a few times trying to locate the bind. I actually bent my cocking rod while it was binding. You'll enjoy it when you shoot it!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
If buying parts, pick up a spare gas cylinder or two. It's only $10 at IWIstore. I bought one and drilled out a part to relieve gas. Will install it soon to see if it helps with suppressor blowback.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
If buying parts, pick up a spare gas cylinder or two. It's only $10 at IWIstore. I bought one and drilled out a part to relieve gas. Will install it soon to see if it helps with suppressor blowback.

I have one on order as well as a barrel wrench. I busted off the tip of a craftsman screw driver, luckly i have a few that size. I also ordered the other grip. Where did you still the hole?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I shot my X95 and my AR last Thurs and noticed more gas to the face with the AR than the X95, but the tavor did get my nostrils burning once or twice with some 5 shot bursts. I was indoor too. But im also curious about where the hole was drilled. I must admit that I havent completely disassembled a Tavor before, so im not sure what the gas cylinder is - so ill have to look ot up. But if it works for you id like to try it.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I borrowed and rehosted these images from Gear Head Works who makes parts for the Tavor SAR and X95.
Here is the side I modified for a RH gun. You can see the holes are pointed at the ejection port.

Here you can see how there is space above the holes when the piston is back allowing gas flow to exit freely instead of being pushed out the crack between the piston and end of the tube directing it more backwards into the receiver.

I just need to get around to installing it and seeing if it helps with Tavor face. I have to look up how to remove rocksett. My suppressor mount is preventing me from taking the rails off.

I've already installed a gasket on the left side ejection port and (don't hate me) I drilled some holes in the top rail where the newer rails have a hole to access the gas block. Mine was an early model without the hole. I'm also using a .30 cal suppressor since it gives less perceived Tavor face when compared to using a 5.56 suppressor.

Not minority enough!