SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Gloss finished rifle scopes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gloss finished rifle scopes Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I bought a bucket list, Weatherby 257 magnum with a gorgeous wood stock and deep glossy blueing.
I would like to add a scope and match the guns blueing.
I can't seem to find many scope options that offer a glossy black finish.
Looking for a 3 or 4-12 or close to that range.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Maybe check the local gun shops for a new old stock glossy model; you could also check broker and fleabay for the same from reputable sellers. Beware counterfiets, buy only from established, trustworthy sellers with impeccable feedback.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
At one time virtually all Leupold scopes had glossy finishes. You might check with their custom shop to see if that’s a custom finish option. Or look for a good used one.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
At one time virtually all Leupold scopes had glossy finishes... look for a good used one.

That'd be my recommendation too.

I have an older glossy blue Leupold on my blued Ruger M77 RSI.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, there's tons of used gloss finished Leupolds floating around. Older gloss Nikons as well.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I looked at the Leupold web site and signed up for the prof.discount.
They do offer a gloss finish through the custom shop.
How times change.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
At one time virtually all Leupold scopes had glossy finishes... look for a good used one.

Just popped in to say how cool that RSI and Leupold look together. I love everything about that setup.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
That photo scares me. Look at the eye relief, its probably under 1". I hope it chambered in one of the hard hitting calibers like 22 Hornet.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently check with Leupold and the wanted $250 to do a High Gloss finish!

Posts: 1217 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Nope rburg, Looks about perfect to me Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
That photo scares me. Look at the eye relief, its probably under 1". I hope it chambered in one of the hard hitting calibers like 22 Hornet.

Not sure where you're getting that. It's totally normal. The eye relief is ~4" when I have it shouldered. Right in the sweet spot for the 1-4x scope, plenty of room to cycle the bolt while still sighting through the optic, and zero chance of scope bite.

And it's a .30-06.

(Dunno about you, but I don't try to get a cheek weld on the grip and pull the trigger with my tongue... Wink )

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by am94pm:

That won't happen!

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

I need this rifle.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Careful what you wish for... I'd hate for you to lose an eye to that terrifying <1" eye relief! Big Grin

High Speed Low Drag
Operator in the Innis Mode
Picture of Ke Bo Li
posted Hide Post
try these guys
https://theshooterscorner.com/scopes/

I think the "check engine" light is burned out

Posts: 710 | Location: Portland,OR | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ran into the same thing, rings and bases are tough too.

As others have said Ebay and GunBroker are places to look.

Leupold does still make some stuff in gloss, but not much. Check Midway, they carry a few.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
quote:
Originally posted by am94pm:

That won't happen!

Just depends on how important it is to us. Some people must believe it's worth it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post