SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Two M1 Garands Showed up today CMP Special Grade
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two M1 Garands Showed up today CMP Special Grade Login/Join 
Picture of redlickranch
posted
Ended up ordering two of the Special Grade M1 Garands that come with a new barrel and stock. Some of the metal shows pitting, but should still make a good shooter. $650 Each shipped to my door i figured why not. Both of mine are Springfield Receivers models. Hitting the range tomorrow to test them out.

From the CMP website.....

CMP Special (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
Receiver may have pitting.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Good stuff!

Those $650 "Rack Grade Special" Garands, built by putting new barrels and stocks on heavily used rifles, are a great deal for someone who's just looking for an affordable shooter, and not necessarily a collectors' piece.

And it's a great way for the CMP to make something useful out of the more well-used rifles returned from the Phillipines and Turkey recently.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I think it was 2004 when I bought my first Garand. It was a Woodless Dane Rifle for $450. Good thing about that trip to the North Store was I picked up several crates of Greek ammo. Miss matched parts and a little rust don't matter much to me. The bowling pins and steel targets won't know the difference. Cool

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Great looking shooters!

Does anyone have a line on where to buy GI or even new manufacture Garand receivers? I have enough GI parts of WW2 vintage that I inherited (sans receivers) to make 2 complete rifles.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
Does anyone have a line on where to buy GI or even new manufacture Garand receivers? I have enough GI parts of WW2 vintage that I inherited (sans receivers) to make 2 complete rifles.

Keep an eye on Gunbroker, or the classifieds section of the CMP Forum, for stripped USGI receivers. The CMP used to sell them but hasn't had any for a few years now (since they started building up their own "Special" rifles using new parts on salvaged receivers).

I don't know of anyone currently offering new production Garand receivers. There have been a few companies that did runs of them over the years, but most were less than stellar quality.

Another option is to find something like a display/drill rifle, where you could salvage the receiver and some other parts, and combined with your existing parts end up with a fully functional rifle.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep an eye on Gunbroker, or the classifieds section of the CMP Forum, for stripped USGI receivers. The CMP used to sell them but hasn't had any for a few years now (since they started building up their own "Special" rifles using new parts on salvaged receivers).

I don't know of anyone currently offering new production Garand receivers. There have been a few companies that did runs of them over the years, but most were less than stellar quality.

Another option is to find something like a display/drill rifle, where you could salvage the receiver and some other parts, and combined with your existing parts end up with a fully functional rifle

Thanks for the info. I really want to make two rifles out of them. I have the feeling that my Great Uncle "liberated" the parts when he mustered out in the late 50s.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
$650 apiece? "Why not?" indeed!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ping! You have a couple of winners there.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Heck yeah, enjoy! Those are definitely in nicer shape than my first M1 was. It looked like it spent some time in salt water.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Nice score!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
I think it was 2004 when I bought my first Garand. It was a Woodless Dane Rifle for $450. Good thing about that trip to the North Store was I picked up several crates of Greek ammo. Miss matched parts and a little rust don't matter much to me. The bowling pins and steel targets won't know the difference. Cool

picked on up myself, maybe 2003 (or 05, cannot remember) while shooting in the games matches,

ammo to,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

IIRC, woodless Danes were $295.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
quote:

IIRC, woodless Danes were $295.

I believe you are correct

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Shot both rifles this weekend and they both shot great with no issues at all. I was able to get most of the minor rust off the trigger groups. Very happy with my pickup.

NRA Life Member

Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Greedy!

Big Grin

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, this thread finally got me. I just mailed paperwork to the CMP today for one of these. I've been wanting to order a CMP rifle for years, and there was always a reason to put it off....but seeing the OP's pics of actual rifles from the grade I'm interested in finally put me over the edge. I know these "rack grade specials" won't have a ton of collector value, but I want a shooter and I'm hoping the new barrel and stock make for a good one.

I explained the whole thing to my wife this afternoon, and she told me to go for it. My 11 year-old is possibly as excited as I am...he's been on me about getting one for over a year now. I think it's probably because he knows one day when I die he's getting it, lol.

Now to get supplies around. It's been years since I owned a .30-06. I didn't reload back then, but I still saved all my brass. Unfortunately, I gave it all away to a buddy after I sold my 100 ATR. I went through my bucket today and found 68 pieces of 30-06 that I've accumulated since then...it's a start. I ordered a set of RCBS dies today, too...still need to track down some primers and appropriate powder.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Lucky dog! Smile

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
You will love your purchase. Mine cleaned up really nice with a brass brush and some CLP. Hope to see pics in a few weeks from you. The new barrels make these rifle crazy accurate.

NRA Life Member

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
You will love your purchase. Mine cleaned up really nice with a brass brush and some CLP. Hope to see pics in a few weeks from you. The new barrels make these rifle crazy accurate.

I hope so...I'll definitely post some up when it comes. Right now I'm just anxiously waiting hoping my paperwork was right, and hoping they pick me a good one. I've been filling the time getting reloading components around...I got my dies in this week, picked up some IMR 4895 and Hornady 150gr bullets, and scored some .30-06 brass at a gun show. I researched Garand-safe recipes, and I have a small batch loaded up...now I just need a rifle to shoot it.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting some Greek Surplus ammo and some steel cased WPA Military Classic 145 Grain from Russia with really good results accuracy wise.

NRA Life Member