SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Can anyone help date an M1 carbine?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone help date an M1 carbine? Login/Join 
Picture of C-Dubs
posted
Looking to find out a rough idea of a production year of a Winchester M1 with a serial number of 57484xx.

My Google-Fu shows that falls within a correct range for Winchester production, but failed to give me an idea when it was produced.

This rifle is one lot from a local auction going on later this month.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been looking in what I have for the M1 Carbine and I can’t find a date of manufacture. Sorry. There were 6 “blocks” of serial numbers given to Winchester during the war for the M1 Carbine. Your serial number is in a block 4. So maybe, just maybe, mid-war? That is just a guess.

Hopefully it works out for you. Nice little guns with great history. I have an early war Winnie with about 95% original parts.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I checked prices at GB, and if it goes for anywhere near what they're asking, it would be way out of my price range.
Current bid on it is only about 15% of the prices at GB.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking 1943 to 1944, possibly before Dec 1944. Looked at some of the ‘blocks’ of serial numbers out there, and believe yours falls in that segment. But, not an expert.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
C-dubs, doesn’t hurt to try the auction. Sometimes you can get lucky. Most of the nicer carbines are going for at least 1k, and average 1300. If it’s a complete Winchester, prob at least 1700 and up depending on the condition. Saw one at the last gun show, they wanted 2300.00 for it.

Edited : Just found this in another spot, not sure how accurate...

Winchester Repeating Arms Co.
6 - 10 (Tool Room Models) (Dec. 1941)
1,000,000 - 1,349,999 (Sept. 1942 - Feb. 1944)
4,075,000 - 4,075,009 (Feb. 1944)
5,549,822 - 5,834,618 (Feb. 1944 - Nov. 1944)
6,449,868 - 6,629,883 (Nov. 1944 - Jan. 1945)
7,234,884 - 7,369,669 (Jan. 1945 - Sept. 1945)

Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot!

Looking at the pictures, it looks like it's in very nice shape. Hard to believe it's that old. Maybe the stock was replaced... the fore end doesn't look right to me.
Never had an M1 before and had never really considered one. I went the M1A route instead.

Wish I had a guru local to me that could look it over.

If anyone wants a peek, I can email a link. Don't want to post it here.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
57484xx puts it in roughly late Summer or early Fall 1944.

I could probably get you closer, if my reference books weren't in storage pending the move to the new house. There's a fantastic, in-depth, 3 volume set on the M1 Carbine called "War Baby" by Larry Ruth.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Rogue, with the ability you have of spouting any type of WWII data at will, I'm surprised you don't have the books memorized verbatim Big Grin

Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
C-Dubs, I would like to see it. Email in my profile. Wink

posted Hide Post
No date on the barrel? That may help a bit to narrow it. I'm Goggle'ing too and as best I can tell/guess Sept. to Oct. 1944 as Rogue is saying.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
No date on the barrel? That may help a bit to narrow it.

Winchester didn't date their carbine barrels. They were marked with a simple W stamp.

Rock-Ola and IBM didn't date their barrels either.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Winchester didn't date their carbine barrels. They were marked with a simple W stamp.

True, I'd forgotten that.

Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
More interesting information, thank you.

In the pictures I've seen, the only numbers I saw were on the rear end of the receiver.

Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m1009:
C-Dubs, I would like to see it. Email in my profile. Wink

I sent you a link. Let me know if you don't get it.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have an IBM carbine and the barrel is date marked. I've also seen photos of date marked IBM barrels.

My barrel:
[URL= ]

Link to another dated IBM barrel:
https://decg5lu73tfmh.cloudfro.../2a_v_1401706291.JPG

Here's an article with a brief passage on IBM barrels:

"One of the major parts manufactured in-house by IBM was the barrel, marked with the letters IBM. Barrels made by the company before 1944 were dated while later barrels were not marked with a date."

http://smallarmsreview.com/dis....cfm?idarticles=1494

Also, a thread from the Milsurp board on the same subject.

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=29982

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^Best of luck with the auction. Was off another site and there is a ton of web-info on the Carbine. This is a link to one site; they have a forum and was intrigued this evening by the search folks had done to locate the production sites and what they're like today if still standing. Some of them are.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/forums.html

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/sitemap.html

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
quote:

I have an IBM carbine and the barrel is date marked. I've also seen photos of date marked IBM barrels.

My barrel:
[URL= ]

Link to another dated IBM barrel:
https://decg5lu73tfmh.cloudfro.../2a_v_1401706291.JPG

GM carbines and IBM ones often (but not always) had dated barrels. I had an IBM with an 11-43 dated barrel back when, and a Winchester. As it's a small world my Winchester (which I sold..but I kept my Rock-Ola) according to my notes was 5736XXX. Check halfway down this page link for the scoop.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/barrels.html

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
Looking to find out a rough idea of a production year of a Winchester M1 with a serial number of 57484xx.

My Google-Fu shows that falls within a correct range for Winchester production, but failed to give me an idea when it was produced.

This rifle is one lot from a local auction going on later this month.

can you get a hands on look at the Carbine?

and what do you mean by fore end looks funny? like a potbelly or squared off?

not being snarky here, but Carbine collectors are the most Anal/OCD group of Collectors that have yet to exist in the gun collecting world,

there are several resources out there that will ID each and every part to a certain maker and to which manufacturer it was sent to for assembly, and each may have several variants that fit certain serial ranges,

almost every part is marked in some way,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see the pictures as well. E-mail is in my profile.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
can you get a hands on look at the Carbine?

and what do you mean by fore end looks funny? like a potbelly or squared off?

The rifle is at the auction house until the day of the auction. It’s over near the WI/MN border, in Leinenkugel-land, and their listing only includes about 10 photos.

To me, the hand guard on top doesn’t look right in their photos, like it may have been replaced.

quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I'd like to see the pictures as well. E-mail is in my profile.

Sent you the link