SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's your AR weigh?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your AR weigh? Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
11.5" BCM with KMR, Aimpoint T1,Magpul Pro buis, SilencerCo Omega weighs 7.5lbs without mag/ammo.

I need to weigh my MK18 with the suppressor and optic. it's probably pushing 7 to 7.5#, too.

adding it up from weights from manufacturers, it'd be 7.48#

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

When you approach 9+ lbs with an AR15 you are defeating the purpose.

------------------------------------

That's what a GI-issue M4 carbine weighs with optic and light. No doubt the weight of an as-issued AR-based rifle has increased over the years, but the use and missions have changed too.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I've never weighed them.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what my Seekins SBR weights. Being billet upper/lower with a 18oz titanium suppressor, mircro RD. I'd guess it's a heavy 8#?

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't this the same as asking a woman what she weighs?

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My M1 garand in bootcamp weighed 9.5 pounds....sweet jeebus

I dunno what my AR(s) weigh...

The one standing SD duty is a 16" flat top with a free float tube and collapsible stock...I doubt it weighs over 7 pounds...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
If your AR becomes a 10lb ManBarbie™, you might as well carry a real rifle and get yourself an M1A.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
If your AR becomes a 10lb ManBarbie™, you might as well carry a real rifle and get yourself an M1A.

The advantages of my portly AR-15s over any M1A:
Greater accuracy. Proven even in service rifle competition, where the M1A can't hang with the AR.

Easier to maintain high accuracy levels.

Easier to mount optics. Furthermore, easier to design a stock which maintains a consistent cheek weld with optics.

Greater flexibility with ammo options.

Lower ammo weight. When carrying 300+ rounds at the start of a competition, when having to move at speed over rough terrain for considerable distances, this isn't a trivial matter.

And the most important thing for my competitions -- less recoil. I often shoot from improvised positions, must spot my own impacts, must follow up shots quickly. This is much easier to do with the lower recoiling AR.

I agree that there is more kinetic energy on target with the M1A, however holes in paper and impacts on steel are neither dependent on kinetic energy nor bullet diameter.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

To each his own.

I will keep my silencer, white light, and 1-5x optic.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
11.5" BCM with KMR, Aimpoint T1,Magpul Pro buis, SilencerCo Omega weighs 7.5lbs without mag/ammo.

I need to weigh my MK18 with the suppressor and optic. it's probably pushing 7 to 7.5#, too.

adding it up from weights from manufacturers, it'd be 7.48#

Did you weigh it yet, I'm interestedSmile

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Mine is right at 7.5 pounds with a loaded magazine. Take a little more than a pound off for the empty weight. It is a real M4orgery, with the light barrel, and a longer flash hider. I took the carry handle off, and added a flip up read sight and an Aimpoint. Nothing else. Nice and light and compact.

I shot a lot of 3 gun with it and did quite well. We didn't shoot much over 100 yards at the matches I attended, but it was more than adequate for 100 to 150 yard shooting at 8" plates and man sized IDPA/USPSA targets.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
12 pounds 3.2 ounces with a loaded mag:
edit to add I no longer have the UBR stock on it.
now it has a CTR

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
9 pounds 3.6 ounces with a loaded mag:
edit to add this now has an AAC mini-4 instead of the omega

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So I just weighed both of mine, both are 7.5 lbs if I add the bipod it's 8lbs....

Both rifles are 16" (One a pencil barrel and one a HB)
Both have the exact same free float tube from MI at 15"
And a collapsable stock.....

When I put the can on one of them it gets significantly heavier

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have three. The 20 inch Precision Rifle weighs in at 11.5 lbs with the scope mounted. BTW, it's a sub 3/10 MOA shooter so it really is a decent Precision AR.

The two 16 inch carbines, one in 223 Wylde and one in 300 BLK both come in at 6.5 lbs. However both feature iron sights because I built them to be light weight rifles intended for ranges of 100 yards and less. Note, while I am sure they could be accurate for 200 yards or more with my aging eyesight 100 yards is about my limit unless I am cheating with Optics.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
For the heck of it I grabbed two of my AR’s. First, my favorite to shoot, a little retro style carbine with a LW 14.5” barrel and no forward assist. Second is my home defense AR, a Colt 6720 with a Comp M3 and a Larue mount.

The retro is 5 lbs 9 oz, and the Colt is 6 lbs 11.6 oz. No mags, magazine choice and ammo choice is just too diverse.

Here are a couple piston rifles. First is a factory LMT lower with a 16” PWS Mk1 upper and a TA31H-G. It weighs 7 lbs 12.9 oz. Next is a Colt 6940P with Larue clips and a KAC micro rear. It comes in at 7 lbs 5.1 oz.

Colt R6551. An A2 without the bay lug. 7 lbs 6.8 oz.

Colt 6951 9mm, bone stock. 6 lbs 6.2 oz

And because I had the scale out…
M1 Garand, 9 lbs 14 oz
No1 MkIII SMLE, 9 lbs 10.9 oz
K98, 9 lbs 5.8 oz
Moisin Nagant, 8 lbs 13.9 oz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mbinky,

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nbkky71
posted Hide Post
I guess mine sounds like the chunkiest girl around... my CMP/NRA service rifle comes in at just a hair over 16 pounds for a 20" A2 model with irons.

I am building another A4 model with optics though, so the next service rifle should slim down some.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nbkky71,

CMP Distinguished Rifleman #2113
NRA XTC Master Class

Posts: 141 | Location: Davidson, NC | Registered: February 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nbkky71:
my CMP/NRA service rifle comes in at just a hare over 16 pounds for a 20" A2 model with irons.

Eek

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nbkky71:
I guess mine sounds like the chunkiest girl around... my CMP/NRA service rifle comes in at just a hare over 16 pounds for a 20" A2 model with irons.

Nice.

I've briefly shot one of these lead-weighted bad boys. Slung up, they're amazingly stable. Even with my dog-doo vision, the rifle was quite accurate. This is the mouse gun that sent the 308 to the back of the service rifle competition bus.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post