SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's your AR weigh?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your AR weigh? Login/Join 
Picture of jezsuiz
posted
Mine weighs 9lbs with a 1-6 and light. I can't get it a whole lot lighter without spending some serious money or possibly compromising reliability. Just curious to see what everyone else is running.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What configuration are you using? I had a 6-7 pound BCM LW 14.5 middy upper with T-1 and Magpul MOE hand guard. on a Stag lower with DD/ALG FCG, H buffer and Magpul furniture that was reliable with .223 wally world and 5.56mm XM855 and XM193. I mostly used 5.56mm.

I suspect a good chunk of your weight is in your optic.

I'll point out that actual weigh in pounds or kilos is only part of the story. IMHO balance of a rifle plays into how it feels shooting it.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one that'a bit over 9 pounds with a drop in rail, back up iron, Aimpoint Pro and Surefire light, and another that a KISS build with A1 upper and pencil barrel that's under 5.5 pounds.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on the intended use. If you are using for HD, you may only want red dot and maybe a light. For longer range, you'd probably have a heavier optic and ditch the light, and may have a heavier profile barrel. Also, some guys run SBRs or "pistol" ARs, others have 16"+ or pinned barrels.

You could get dozens of weights running anywhere from 5 to 10 lbs, but without specifics the number isn't necessarily meaningful.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
The optic and mount I have weigh almost 2 lbs. It was certainly lighter with the aimpoint. I was just curious what the average weight of some AR rifles with all the battle rattle on.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Mine was ±5 lbs. before I put light and optic on it. Neither of those weight much, so I doubt it's over 5½ lbs. or so, now.

I wasn't going for light-weight. It just ended-up that way.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Just under 6.5 with light/optic. I have others and weights depend on intended use but vary from 6.5 to over 9.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
My 14.5" with Leupold optic weighs in at just under 7 lbs without a mag.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Primary training gun is a Colt LE6920 with Aimpoint CompML3 and Magpul furniture: 8.2 pounds.

Serious purposes guns.

Close quarters is a Colt LE6920 with Aimpoint CompML3, Magpul furniture, small vertical foregrip, Surefire X300 and tape switch: 9.15 pounds.

Intermediate distance Colt LE6940 with Leupold Mark 6 1-6×20mm scope, Spuhr mount, Surefire X300 and tape switch, Magpul PRS stock: 10.5 pounds.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Mine was ±5 lbs. before I put light and optic on it. Neither of those weight much, so I doubt it's over 5½ lbs. or so, now.

I wasn't going for light-weight. It just ended-up that way.

What was the base gun? Dont see too many sub 5lb AR's

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
My lightest is just over 6.25#. With MBUS and aimpoint pro red dot. I love it.

Makes my AR10 feel like a cinder block.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PorterN,

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I keep my SP1 as light as possible. I only use 20 round mags to keep the weight down.

Even with the IDF optic it is around 6 lbs.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
the krieger barreled A2 ia right at 14lbs,

the short range gun I have is just about 13,

put together a NM for optics, but have not had a chance to weigh that yet

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The latest one I finished a couple of weeks ago weighs around 8 1/2 pounds empty with an 18" barrel, 12" full float, scope with mount and a Magpul ACS stock...it does not feel that heavy though.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
11.5" BCM with KMR, Aimpoint T1,Magpul Pro buis, SilencerCo Omega weighs 7.5lbs without mag/ammo.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I keep my SP1 as light as possible. I only use 20 round mags to keep the weight down.

Even with the IDF optic it is around 6 lbs.

I agree with this.

When you approach 9+ lbs with an AR15 you are defeating the purpose.

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
My new build, 10.5" 300blk, is 6.8 lbs incl optic and empty 20 rd mag.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

Confused
What purpose is that?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

It depends upon the purpose.

My 16" carbine weighs 9.8#, the 18" rifle 11.2#, the 20" weighs 12.4#. All include bipod and variable power glass. The 20" rifle has a PRS stock.

These ARs have been used in run-&-gun matches, in both single & multiple gun formats -- where I also have to carry a pistol or precision rifle at the same time. All matches have been under the clock. Usually carrying a pack with food, water, ammo, storm clothing, & improvised support equipment. Generally at altitude, in heat/storm/cold, over rough terrain. In some matches jogging between stages to meet time limits, moving a few miles per day.

Targets range from "A" zones on reduced sized IPSC at 5-50 yards, to 3-4" steel at 100-150 yards, to 12" steel at 300-600 yards. Sometimes distances are known, sometimes they aren't. Occasionally we get to shoot from prone. More often the shooting positions are unsupported, slung, improvised over rocks & trees, or from tripods.

Google Team Safari, Nightforce Precision/Tactical 2-rifle, Competition Dynamics Team Challenge. Lightweight ARs don't do so well in such venues. And it isn't benchrest shooting on a square range.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6.5 pounds

Bravo Company 14.5 LW write original KMR 13
Aimpoint T1 on Fortis F1 Mount
MBUS PRO Sights
Inforce WML HSP on IWC mount
BCM Mod 0 Stock

It's over a pound lighter than my 6920 with DD Lite 2, EOTech XPS2, DD sights, X300, and CTR.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post