SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Where are the mosin nagants?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where are the mosin nagants? Login/Join 
Picture of makemyday
posted
I went to a gun show in Bryan, TX today, first gun show in about 5-7 years for me. I was surprised to see NO Mosins for sale. Zero. I remember the same thing happening to SKS rifles years ago as well, although I saw maybe 4 for sale today. Is the interest so low for Mosins that no one wants to sell them anymore?

"Bad people drive good people out of circulation."

Posts: 283 | Registered: July 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think supply just dried up.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, supply dried up, thanks to two major factors.

First, the US instituted a series of economic sanctions on Russia several years ago. These prevented certain Russian companies from exporting firearms and ammo to the US. So that cut off one of the supply lines for surplus Mosin Nagants.

Secondly, the main source for Mosin Nagants destined for the US surplus market was from the Ukraine. Ever since the civil war in Ukraine broke out and Russia invaded the Crimea a few years ago, the Ukrainian military has had bigger priorities than surplussing and exporting old surplus rifles. (Plus, most of the old armories where these surplus rifles were held are reportedly located in the half of the country that's under separatist and/or Russian occupation.)

Other countries, like Hungary, Finland, Romania, and Poland, had already sold all their Mosin Nagants to the US surplus market years ago, and have none left to export.

Until the economic sanctions are lifted against Russia, or the Ukrainians retake their country and end the war, the supply of cheap surplus Mosin Nagants is effectively over.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of makemyday
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. so...what has this done to the price of a "regular" Mosin? I bought one years ago for $90, I assume the price is much higher now?

"Bad people drive good people out of circulation."

Posts: 283 | Registered: July 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
~$250-$300ish

But the supply of cheap 7.62x54R also dried up, along with the rifles. So demand is not anywhere near what it was back when surplus Mosins were cheap and plentiful, and ammo was too.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by makemyday:
Thanks for the reply. so...what has this done to the price of a "regular" Mosin? I bought one years ago for $90, I assume the price is much higher now?

I saw perhaps eight of them this week in Cabela's Gun Library. Didn't check the price this time, but several months ago, they were about $300 and looked pretty well knocked around. Back in the day, I'd see Finnish ones for $79. Russian, etc. were $49.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
There is a crate of Mosin rifles on a local board. 10 rifles with bayonets,slings and oilers.

He’s asking 5k. Seems a bit high to me.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Cabela's has them here in Utah for 299 for really bad ones (grade 3), 399 for the good ones (grade 1).

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man I remember buying one at big 5 sports a nice Tula one with all the accessories for 99.00 and then several 440 round ammo cans for about 75 dollars each. I still have 3 mosins and about a dozen of those 440 round ammo cans.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Classic Arms has 91/30s for $240.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
If only I knew when they were 70 bucks

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I bought an M38 for $79, a M1891 for $110 and an antique receiver Finn M39 for $250 before the drought. I have enough 54r @ .10/round to last several shoulders.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
Fortunately I still have 2 lifetime supplies of 1960's dated Czech Silver Tip in crates. Bought it to feed my RP46 (which is gone now) and a 1910 Snow Cap which I rarely shoot now. Bought the Silver Tip back in the late 90's.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah my M38 and crate of 1974 silver tips will last a good long while.

Wish I’d picked up another crate but oh well, it’s plenty.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Its the nature of the surplus rifle market. They get surplussed, are super cheap, supply dries up, they get expensive.

I have a SMLE No1MkIII that I purchased in 1992 for $69, and a 600 round case of WWII British 303 surplus that cost me $60 at the time. What is that rifle going for today? $400,$500 or more? I have another SMLE No4Mk1 still in the cosmoline wrapper, new from the factory. I paid $99. I bet its a bit more than that now. I have SMLEs that I cannot remember where I got them, they were so cheap at the time.

How about all my Yugo M98 rifles that I paid $79 for about 15 years ago? They've gone up considerably as well, along with those 2,200 round spam cans of 8MM ammo that cost me $150 each.

When you see surplus rifles hit the market, get them then. Don't think you'll wait awhile while you're interests lie elsewhere. They won't always be there. I like to buy cheap military rifles like a fat man goes through a buffet; grab and move, grab and move. That's why my first M1 Garand cost me $289.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here’s a few for sale, have no idea what’s left.

http://www.edsgunshop.com/foru...987b5d862de31126338b

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I remember the same thing happended to Mauser rifles. 20 some odd years ago you could still buy a Spanish Mauser and a case of 1280(?) rounds of 8x57 ammo on 5 rnd stripper clips IN bandoleers for $90 ... Early on, dealers could buy 5 rifles for $100. At the end of the supply ones with cracked or broken stocks were the same price or more but you could buy a new stock for another $35 ...

It's the way of surplus.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Aim Surplus. $339 for Tula, $359 for Tula Hex

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Aim Surplus. $339 for Tula, $359 for Tula Hex

https://aimsurplus.com/tula-ru...9b&mc_eid=70d1d0e70e

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There's your chance. They currently have 64 in stock.

Per the description, "We have been told not to expect more".