SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shotgun for HD?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun for HD? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking suppressed 9mm Tavor for HD.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shotgun all the way. You can load it up or down to fit your needs and concerns. I have seen people take rifle and pistol rounds and keep going but not a shotgun.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being former Army I hate to give props to devil dogs but check out Mike Lamb, he has great shotgun videos on you tube.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
AR!

12GA!

AR!

12GA!

AR!

<<SWMBO>> " I like the AR"

<<me>> " guess I'll take the 12GA ..grumble ...grumble"

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Better yet if I have an AR with a 40mm mounted and loaded with 00 does that mean I win this discussion Big Grin

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Better yet if I have an AR with a 40mm mounted and loaded with 00 does that mean I win this discussion Big Grin

And the fight! Wink

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I go 40mm, its not 00. Flechettes.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Winchester defender pump upstairs, extended mag, side saddle (it came with it) on the side,

downstairs

high standard 18-7 riot gun, with a bando of extra ammo,

wife is ok with either , as in she can work them and has 0 time with or interest in an AR,

handful of pistols in the house as well

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
When I go 40mm, its not 00. Flechettes.

What about over penetration.....you'll kill the neighbor's shitzu

Thats why I no longer keep the 338 lapua as a bedside gun, I still sleep in my 2 lv 4 plates though

Come on man.....think

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

wife is ok with either , as in she can work them and has 0 time with or interest in an AR,

handful of pistols in the house as well

Same situation. Mrs. offgrid has no interest in a AR. She grew up around shotguns in the midwest, pheasant hunting with a pump.... 12 gauge is out of the question for her size. Picked up a old 20 gauge 870 Wingmaster. Some of the older 20 gauges 870's were built on 12 gauge frames, a little more weight, any 12 gauge aftermarket stuff will fit on it. The steep barrel taper from the frame is a indicator. Chopped the barrel, drill/tapped for a cheap bead sight, epoxied a XS big dot sight on it, Magpul stock, one round extension.... Loaded with Remington 2 3/4 #3 buckshot. Tried every 20 gauge buckshot I could find locally, Remington pattern the best, just over a inch per yard, perfect for our house layout.

Other 20 Gauge I considered was a Benelli M1 or M2. Cut down the rear stock, add a Nordic mag extension, cut down the barrel, add sights.

Shared with a friend what I was doing with the 20 gauge. Why a 20 gauge? He immediately went into the ballistics crap, should have a 12 gauge with #00 buckshot, blah, blah, blah....... OK ballistic dummy, let me put a 20 gauge round in your chest from 3yds see how that works out for ya.

The other shotgun is stashed in a different location. Picked up a 870 12 gauge barrel-less police trade in. Added the barrel with XS sights, Magpul rear stock. Very much like the XS sights, pistol sights on a shotgun, fast. Loaded with rubber buckshot for black bears. Usually see a bear(s) every spring around our house. Very, very difficult to get close enough to hit them. No interest in killing them, give them a unpleasant experience, move on.

https://s18.postimg.org/bbx75tgqh/P1010584.jpg

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Example of a Benelli M2 20 gauge with Nordic mag extension. Guessing a +4? Personally not a fan of red dots for these. YMMV

https://s18.postimg.org/m5dw5yxeh/m2_-_1_1.jpg

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Example of a Benelli M2 20 gauge with Nordic mag extension. Guessing a +4? Personally not a fan of red dots for these. YMMV

https://s18.postimg.org/m5dw5yxeh/m2_-_1_1.jpg

Yeah, put that red dot on something else and epoxy a tritium Big Dot® over the front bead.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old school around here. pre-disconnect Ithaca 37 16 gage, in house #5 birdshot is fine. The rifle a mini 14. 40 grain hollow points is a bit more difficult to vet to. The pistol is a 4 inch 38 special 158 grain lead swc. The long guns were chosen partly because wood stocks. If I can get by with smacking some bad guy in the head instead of shooting I would prefer the stock not be a hollow plastic tube. Also if anything like that ever happened and i was assinged a chair at the defendant's table i would prefer the weapon didnt look like i was crusing for a fight. Blued steel and walnut may never look so good. Probably I am wrong about that but I would like my lawyer asking the state's firearms expert about 16 gage ithaca 37 use in crimes.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott in NCal:
Old school around here. pre-disconnect Ithaca 37 16 gage, in house #5 birdshot is fine. The rifle a mini 14. 40 grain hollow points is a bit more difficult to vet to. The pistol is a 4 inch 38 special 158 grain lead swc. The long guns were chosen partly because wood stocks. If I can get by with smacking some bad guy in the head instead of shooting I would prefer the stock not be a hollow plastic tube. Also if anything like that ever happened and i was assinged a chair at the defendant's table i would prefer the weapon didnt look like i was crusing for a fight. Blued steel and walnut may never look so good. Probably I am wrong about that but I would like my lawyer asking the state's firearms expert about 16 gage ithaca 37 use in crimes.

Sadly - if you live in Northern CA - there is too much logic in that reasoning.

Being ready and willing is 95% of it anyway.

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

*mic drop*

Razz

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
The "Billy" Special.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:

*mic drop*

Razz

The original 'master key'. Cool

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
I'll take either, but I lean shotgun. Its payload is devastating, and the one place it really shines is an HD situation. I don't care that it's slow to reload; if I have to fire NINE 00buck rounds and haven't solved a home invasion, I guess I'll grab the pistol or AR.

This isn't fuckin John Wick, the chances of you needing to reload during a HD fight are astonomically small. I'd love to see data on homeowners reloading & continuing to fight during a home invasion.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Body armor should be a concern in a home invasion. In this regard, the 5.56 self-loading rifle is preferable.
Multiple assailants should be assumed as well. Again, the rifle with 20 or 30 round magazines and rapid reloads are preferable to the low capacity and slow to reload shotgun.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmoneybags:
I'll take either, but I lean shotgun. Its payload is devastating, and the one place it really shines is an HD situation. I don't care that it's slow to reload; if I have to fire NINE 00buck rounds and haven't solved a home invasion, I guess I'll grab the pistol or AR.

This isn't fuckin John Wick, the chances of you needing to reload during a HD fight are astonomically small. I'd love to see data on homeowners reloading & continuing to fight during a home invasion.

That data doesn't exist, and probably never will.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Body armor should be a concern in a home invasion. In this regard, the 5.56 self-loading rifle is preferable.
Multiple assailants should be assumed as well. Again, the rifle with 20 or 30 round magazines and rapid reloads are preferable to the low capacity and slow to reload shotgun.

This is the truth of the matter. While I recently found an inexpensive shotgun, it will not be primary, and probably loaded with less that lethal, as I mentioned in the other thread. For my wife.

A shotgun can certainly be an effective tool for HD. An AR or in my case AUG, is more effective.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post