SIGforum
Shotgun for HD?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/6100018534

January 07, 2018, 01:55 PM
4x5
Shotgun for HD?
I'm curious to know how many of you rely on a shotgun for home defense, and if its your primary HD weapon?

I have a Remington 870 HD model, but with kids in the house, I've always been concerned about over-penetration. Is that a concern for those of you using shotguns for HD?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ
January 07, 2018, 02:05 PM
WARPIG602
Depends on what room Im in. As fas over penetration, that would be an issue for me regardless of what gun/caliber im using. Shotguns are laoded with #4 buck, handguns are 124gr and rifles are 77gr.

January 07, 2018, 02:05 PM
spunk639
Shotgun rounds whether OObuck or slug can penetrate sheet rock walls fairly easily. A rifle platform is probably a safer choice if you’re concerned with over penetration.
January 07, 2018, 02:44 PM
Strambo
I have a well set up 870 loaded with #1 buck, it isn’t primary HD though. That goes to AR, in no particular order (as compared to SG) it is shorter, less recoil, more familiar under stress, more accurate, has RDS, penetrates less through walls.

Nothing wrong with a SG running buck shot though.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page
January 07, 2018, 02:51 PM
RHINOWSO
No. AR for all the right reasons
January 07, 2018, 03:53 PM
ARman
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This right there. AR 15, first, second and third choice. I have an old Remington 870 blunderbuss, but it is relegated to last line of defense, zombie apocalypse roll. You know after I have fired even round of 5.56X45mm and 7.62X39mm and 7.62X51mm.

To me the Ol' stovepipe offers nothing over the AR 15 has, and it has way lots of drawbacks.

1)low magazine capacity
2) slow to reload
3)takes a lot of dexterity to reload
4) did I say painful slow to reload?
5) severe over penetration risk
6)low accuracy, buck shot spreads and you are responsible for all the projectiles (just because 7 out of 8 buck shot hit, doesn't make the 8th that hit the kid any less deadly.)
7) lots of recoil
8) heavy recoil slowing down follow-up shots
9) really painfully slow to reload, especially if someone is trying to kill you
10) with pump shotgun eazy to short shuck/stroke under stress unless you are fairly skilled.

Well you get the point. If not, if you have access to both a shotgun and an AR 15 and a timer take them to the range and run a simple drill.

Fire both 10 rounds at 10 yards and 10* rounds at 25 yards as fast and accurately as you can. See how fast and accurate you are with both at both ranges and get back to me. *To give some fairness with the AR 15 you will need three magazines two with 4 rounds and one with 2 rounds.

Oh and to make it more fun add a non shooter to the equation, especially someone of low stature. Then get back to me.
January 07, 2018, 04:19 PM
YooperSigs
The AR is a good choice for HD. But I have seen the results of a full charge of OOB in real time. I will stay with the shotgun. And the capability to use rifle slugs only increases its utility.
My choice is also influenced by an advanced course for shotgun where I learned to skip the shot charge along walls and hard surfaces.
In the end, base your choice on your proficiency, training and experience as to what suits you best.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
January 07, 2018, 04:46 PM
RichardC
M2 with buckshot.

Primary HD weapon.

"Be sure of your target and everything around it."

January 07, 2018, 05:03 PM
MRMATT
I keep a 20 gauge Mossy next to my bed.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.
January 07, 2018, 05:14 PM
MattW
226 on the night stand to get me to my closet with the M2 outside the safe. There's very little that I would fear with my M2 attempting to come upstairs. After that, I'd have a hard time deciding what to grab when the safe is opened.
January 07, 2018, 05:37 PM
ARMT Guy
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This right there. AR 15, first, second and third choice. I have an old Remington 870 blunderbuss, but it is relegated to last line of defense, zombie apocalypse roll. You know after I have fired even round of 5.56X45mm and 7.62X39mm and 7.62X51mm.

To me the Ol' stovepipe offers nothing over the AR 15 has, and it has way lots of drawbacks.

1)low magazine capacity
2) slow to reload
3)takes a lot of dexterity to reload
4) did I say painful slow to reload?
5) severe over penetration risk
6)low accuracy, buck shot spreads and you are responsible for all the projectiles (just because 7 out of 8 buck shot hit, doesn't make the 8th that hit the kid any less deadly.)
7) lots of recoil
8) heavy recoil slowing down follow-up shots
9) really painfully slow to reload, especially if someone is trying to kill you
10) with pump shotgun eazy to short shuck/stroke under stress unless you are fairly skilled.

Well you get the point. If not, if you have access to both a shotgun and an AR 15 and a timer take them to the range and run a simple drill.

Fire both 10 rounds at 10 yards and 10* rounds at 25 yards as fast and accurately as you can. See how fast and accurate you are with both at both ranges and get back to me. *To give some fairness with the AR 15 you will need three magazines two with 4 rounds and one with 2 rounds.

Oh and to make it more fun add a non shooter to the equation, especially someone of low stature. Then get back to me.

Boom.

These two gentlemen are spot on.

I have a decked out Benelli M4, ( for last ditch HD, but mostly used for three-gun, ) but the AR is the go-to HD long gun.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

January 07, 2018, 05:57 PM
trickedtrix
Every conceivable firearm for HD will most likely send its projectiles thru and past anything in your home - dont miss and dont fire anywhere near something(someone) youd rather not destroy

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final
January 07, 2018, 08:35 PM
Prefontaine
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The AR is a good choice for HD. But I have seen the results of a full charge of OOB in real time. I will stay with the shotgun. And the capability to use rifle slugs only increases its utility.
My choice is also influenced by an advanced course for shotgun where I learned to skip the shot charge along walls and hard surfaces.
In the end, base your choice on your proficiency, training and experience as to what suits you best.

Same here. Benelli M4. I’ve got 21 shells on board. 9 in it, two side saddles (one on receiver, one on stock) with 6 each. Combined it gives me 189 projectiles onboard, 189 pellets. I’ve measured all distances within the house, practiced my patterns, it’s the best thing to me. Nothing more powerful or versatile in my safe. A bandoleer sits next to the shotgun with 00 and slugs. In suburbia I’ll take my setup for my property over anything else in the safe. It has night sights, shortened stock w/ limb saver, slung, light and laser with independent activation. In HD scenarios I may purposely want to shoot through the wall or furniture. As long as I live I’ll fix the damage. Looking forward to a night Shotgun course this year.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
January 08, 2018, 08:07 AM
HayesGreener
My choice is a model 870 with ghost ring rear and post front tritium sights, Surefire forend light, magpul shoulder stock, extended mag tube, 6 round sidesaddle shell carrier, Spectre Gear 3 point sling. My ammo choice is #4 buck. I believe the shotgun is sufficient to counter just about any threat I could encounter in or near my home plus dispatching the various varmints that come too close out here in the country. I have an AR with light and a P220 with light at hand as well but the shotgun is the first gun I grab if something goes bump in the night.

AR's and handguns have their place for home defense but there are some limitations to any of these weapon systems.

When asked by civilians I have consistently recommended the shotgun for home defense due to concerns with over penetration and the training curve with handgun and rifle.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)
January 08, 2018, 02:40 PM
limblessbiff
I switched to my ar then my tavor after a friend of mine had a room mate that had an ND with a 12guage 00buck.. sent pellets through an interior wall through the exterior wall and across the street barely missing the neighbors brand new car and thankfully stopped by the brick exterior of that neighbors house.

I realize a 5.56 will travel quite a distance as well but over penetration and then traveling through my house is much less likely. Plus 30 rounds vs 6 in a smaller package is a no brainer to me
January 08, 2018, 03:34 PM
Dav
My advice would be to listen to anything a Command Master Sargeant has to say.
January 08, 2018, 03:50 PM
kilyung
I switched from my 590A1 to an 11.5” 300BLK AR pistol chambered in 194gr Lehigh.
January 08, 2018, 03:57 PM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
Shotgun rounds whether OObuck or slug can penetrate sheet rock walls fairly easily. A rifle platform is probably a safer choice if you’re concerned with over penetration.

LOL, are you serious? A rifle that fires a projectile at several thousand feet per second out of a long barrel is "safer" than a shotgun inside a house? Whaaat?

January 08, 2018, 04:49 PM
ARman
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:

LOL, are you serious? A rifle that fires a projectile at several thousand feet per second out of a long barrel is "safer" than a shotgun inside a house? Whaaat?

Yep, safer. 5.56X45mm will penetrate less building material, and while doing it be breaking apart the much smaller and much lighter bullet fragments will have less range and energy to cause damage.

Buckshot not so much, it will keep it's weight and energy for longer ranges, thus able to go further and cause more damage/death.

It has been proven, 5.56X45mm has less over penetration risk liability then buckshot, or any serious self defense pistol caliber ammo.

Shoot some building materials, build some "walls", and set water jugs behind it and see. Your eyes will be opened.

Plus, the AR 15 is much easier to shoot, and load for the LESS trained than a shotgun. The lower recoil of the AR 15 makes it easier to fire, and make faster follow up shots. Plus the AR 15 is much easier to reload, under stress than a shotgun, especially for the less trained, plus it's 20 or 30 rounds over 4, 6, 8+1 of the Ol' blunderbuss.

So yeah, the AR 15 is better at putting "badguys" down, easier to fire, and less likely to cause collateral damage.

Oh, it's also easier to fire one handed if injured than a shotgun, which is a real pain with a pump and may cause an autoloaders shotgun to choke.

AR 15 is much better in every category. Run them on a timer, shoot things, it will out class the Ol'stovepipe. Plus + plus the 5.56X45mm will penetrate armor, soft and some hard and the shotgun will be just laughed at.

ARman
January 08, 2018, 05:28 PM
vthoky
But what about the "chack-chack?" Big Grin

God bless America.