SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Beretta 1301 Tactical "TAU" shroud install
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 1301 Tactical "TAU" shroud install Login/Join 
posted
Finally got around ordering the shroud directly from Beretta, what came in is a small plastic piece, a card with link to get install instructions so far so good...but the link provided INFO.BERETTAUSA.COM/LATCH takes you what looks like Beretta USA retail sales links what gives?

I checked youtube, didn't find anything showing the Tau shroud actually being installed, figured its so easy no need for a tutorial, all I could find is to fit it over the bolt release latch, which is does but its so loose it will just fall off...can't be? Not so bad if it was a very tight fitting once locked on but its not, defective piece? Or am I missing something here (which could easily happen!). No mention of gluing it on, nor was any glue provided.

Tried removing the bold release latch, but don't seem to have the right size hex wrench. Anyone know what size wrench works?

Anyone else have this happen?

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one?

https://www.berettausa.com/en-...-shroud-kit/eu00074/

There are pictures showing how to install it. Unless they changed it, the screw for the bolt latch is a torx head, not a hex head.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brudda....man those pics showing the install are small I didn't even notice them when ordering the shroud. Instead of including the bogus little card in the box, they should have stated install pics shown in description or something like that. They call it a "kit", why couldn't Beretta just include a "torx head" wrench in the correct size in the box, they had plenty of room in the master carton, they sent this little toothpick size box with the shroud in a box that could hold like a dozen 220 (8 rd.) mags, stuffed with filler paper. Now I gotta go to the Tool store and pick up a wrench I will probably only use once.

Anyone happen to know what size torx wrench is used for the shroud?

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
According to this

http://www.calguns.net/calgunf...94379&highlight=1301

It is a number 10.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir...I will get a Torx #10 and give it a go. I was almost resigned to having to buy a pack of wrenches of various sizes and knowing myself end up with a pack of wrenches in the tool box never to be used again. I know SF has a lot of talented DIY people who are great at using tools and taking the time to take things apart and putting them back together, unfortunately I fall into the "other" category.

Thanks again, I will report back if the #10 is the go to wrench for the 1301 Tactical, I'm sure there are others who still have not upgraded their Gen 1 yet.

Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Good luck, hope that does the trick.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
I know SF has a lot of talented DIY people who are great at using tools and taking the time to take things apart and putting them back together, unfortunately I fall into the "other" category.

Brother, welcome! We would have had a jacket ready for you to wear, but they came out looking like two garbage bags taped together, what you get for group sourcing I suppose.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Be careful not to overtorque it when you reinstall the screw. The factory screw is really not as long as it should be and I spun mine the first time (had to call BUSA for a spare).

The Aridus bolt release shroud kit comes with the proper length screw.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks PGT for the tip! when I get back from a trip will add in the shroud.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
I know SF has a lot of talented DIY people who are great at using tools and taking the time to take things apart and putting them back together, unfortunately I fall into the "other" category.

Brother, welcome! We would have had a jacket ready for you to wear, but they came out looking like two garbage bags taped together, what you get for group sourcing I suppose.

Feels great to be welcomed! Garbage bags and all... LOL!

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Razz

Do you like your 1301? I've been considering this or the Beretta Comp Pro that's coming out soon and can't decide.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Be careful not to overtorque it when you reinstall the screw. The factory screw is really not as long as it should be and I spun mine the first time (had to call BUSA for a spare).

The Aridus bolt release shroud kit comes with the proper length screw.

Yes, I almost did that too, after removing the the lever the shroud fits on, but the screw is short (as mentioned) so the natural thing to do is to push down harder and screw it in. After tightening the screw the shroud fits a bit loose (not locked in), but it works, so much for a $8.00 fix (+ shipping).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rpm2010,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Razz

Do you like your 1301? I've been considering this or the Beretta Comp Pro that's coming out soon and can't decide.

Yes, I like the 1301-T its light, seems to be built well, slide on-off barrel, but being my first SG am not qualified to offer any recommendations at this point, perhaps some members who have shot both can offer you some savvy advice.

posted Hide Post
You will enjoy the snot out of your 1301.

My 1301

Posts: 1217 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post