SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AK47 brass catcher
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AK47 brass catcher Login/Join 
posted
Anybody have experience with the E&L Mfg. AK brass catcher?

http://www.brasscatchers.com/pics/117.jpg

While I don't need to keep the brass for reloading, I hate littering the desert whilst stalking rocks. Those gray bastards (the empties, not the rocks) are HARD to find!

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Thank you for trying not to make a mess. A rare thing these days.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Thank you for trying not to make a mess. A rare thing these days.

I pick up my rimfire empties too Cool

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
The E&L catchers work great! They clip right over the ejection port. Easy on/easy off. I used them when I reloaded 7.62x39 brass.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I had, maybe still have an E&L for an AR & another for an HK ... I found that the brass would bounce around in the catcher an cause the bolt to jamb when closing ... Not every time but often enough to get very frustrating ... I eventually made my own HK catcher using a crown royal bag and for the wire, an old car antena(I worked in a Chevy dealership with an automatic car wash which broke them off occasionally ... Couldn't get one to work for an AR, but Cauldwell came out with one that's offset, comes with a bracket that fits on the picitinny rail, works beautifully and the receiver the bracket slides into is adjustable along the top of the catcher ... they're about $40 on Amazon but you can buy extra brackets to leave on different guns ... I've got 2 catchers with the slide rail at different locations and 5-6 brackets that I just leave on the weapon.
I've got the Cauldwell setup on AR's and my MP5K & SD ... I reload both so it sure beats chasing brass!
Fortunately my AR's throw my brass into a 3' area but I also have a large tarp that I lay out to get most of the HK brass for guns that don't have catchers HK 52, 53 & 91 ... once I figure out which county it's throwing the brass into.

I'll have to give the E&L AK catcher a try ... I shoot at a friends farm when the range is busy ... I don't think he really cares about the steel cases that miss the tarp as they rust in a couple years, but it doesn't hurt to be courteous.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we bought our property here in va, a small 26 acre bit. Our neighbor (descendant of the slaves who worked this property) told us to expect treasure hunters to walk down and ask if they could metal detect. It has only happened 2 times since we have moved in. The first guy soured me on the whole lot of them. He was rude, persistent, demanding, and told me to take my yanky ass back to new york. (I had just moved from CT). After that I said screw it, I started shooting all over my property where safe. You all might have seen my range. Well i take shots down into that range from everywhere it is safe to shoot from. I leave the brass on the ground. I have salted my property with 10 billion bits of metal. In my will, I am going to leave a stipend to have the whole place salted with repro civil war crap.

The second guy was nice, I told him i shoot all over the property. He spent about 20 min on the far side of the yard in the older wooded cut down and left. He texted me 2 rolls of fencing wire i knew nothing about and about 300 22lr, 40, 9, 223, 308 cases.

To further aid this process, I bought a Caldwell brass catcher for when I shoot out the closet window. I save the brass, usually 22 or center fire pistol, and sprinkle it out via a small cotton bag when mowing.

I am an asshole

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

<snip>

I am an asshole

Love it ... If they can't at least be polite, f-em.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post