SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need help with valuing an AK and even if I should buy it (Polytech 56 Spiker)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with valuing an AK and even if I should buy it (Polytech 56 Spiker) Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
I have a line on a pre-ban Poly Tech 56 "spiker" wood stock. Looks to be very clean. It's been fired, but it doesn't look like much.

What are these things worth now-a-days? I don't know much about the AK platform, but I'm starting to get more interested in them. I just got my first one actually.

Asking price is $2k. Is that too much. It's hard to find much on what these are worth. Looks like a few years ago there were some threads on the net saying $1,500 if shot and without box/etc.

Any help on value and even if it's worth jumping on one would be much appreciated. Should I jump on it? If it's too much, what's it worth? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
$2k is full blown retail. Without box and in fired good condition it's $500 over what I'd even consider paying. But then what's the intention here? Are you buying to fulfill a dream, a grail gun or an investment?

They are rare in the sense that there's a finite number in the market and but I don't think as you described it's worth the scratch they're asking.

Quick search on completed auctions on Gunbroker shows lonely PolyTechs without bids at 2k. That's a good barometer.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I have a line on a pre-ban Poly Tech 56 "spiker" wood stock.

What does "pre-ban" mean in this context? After the sunset of the Clinton Gun Ban, I didn't think this term had any meaning?

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Import ban.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Correct, pre the import ban.

How do I search gun Riker for completed auctions? I didn’t know I could do that.

Intended use is just because. I like AK I just got and am getting into the platform after never having the slightest interest previously. Not sure why I am enjoying it now, but, what the heck.

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do I search gun Riker for completed auctions?

Go to "advanced" button, just to the right of the search bar.

Then choose the tab "completed items", just to the right of "current items".

Type in your search item. Be as specific as practical.

Obviously look for items that had bids. An "auction ended" at $2500 doesn't mean much if nobody bid on it.

edited to clarify.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I've had a GB account for a looong time and never knew that. Thanks for the help.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Polytech prices are artificially inflated, since they're no longer able to be imported and are prized by collectors as examples of the "best quality Chinese AKs".

If you're wanting it as a collector's item, it may be worth that much. But if you're just looking for a quality AK to shoot, you can do better at a lower price.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Polytech prices are artificially inflated, since they're no longer able to be imported and are prized by collectors as examples of the "best quality Chinese AKs".

If you're wanting it as a collector's item, it may be worth that much. But if you're just looking for a quality AK to shoot, you can do better at a lower price.

I agree with the above. At one time or another I've owned and sold almost every brand AK. IMO the Poly Tech spiker was one of the best For that price 2K I'd try to find a Valmet 62. Best AK I've ever owned. If you just want a quality AK I'd look at the Arsenal line of AK's
Id not pay more than $1500 for a used nib Poly Tech spiker.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a polytech spiker I sold several years ago for around 1300 with no box or accessories. 2k is overpriced in my opinion regardless the condition of the rifle and if it comes with box, owners manual etc. Unless you're a collector your better off just buying a arsenal AK or even a WASR10 if all you want is a shooter.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post