SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    When you assemble a lower, do you...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When you assemble a lower, do you... Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I've never staked one. I've taken a couple of staked ones off. On some I've used a small amount of low strength threadlocker.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Anyone tried the PWS ratchet lock design?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Yes, stake with hammer and punch, no loctite for me.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never staked in years past and never had any issues, but the last few I did I staked just because the "net told me I was supposed to".

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my officers had one come loose on his duty rifle. Found out that it was originally staked, then he messed with it and never re-staked it.

Re-tightened it, couple of hits with a center punch and he was good to go. No loctite, center punch.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
auto center punches are for putting a little ding in a piece of metal so a drill bit doesn't wander when you start drilling.

For staking a castle nut, you want to move a significant amount of the endplate metal into the notch in the castle nut.

An auto center punch, held at a slight angle towards the cutout in the castle nut, and used 2-3 times in the same spot, displaces plenty of metal.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
auto center punches are for putting a little ding in a piece of metal so a drill bit doesn't wander when you start drilling.

For staking a castle nut, you want to move a significant amount of the endplate metal into the notch in the castle nut.

An auto center punch, held at a slight angle towards the cutout in the castle nut, and used 2-3 times in the same spot, displaces plenty of metal.
Yup, 3-5 times and you have a nice circle punch and plenty of metal in the cutout.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I stake it, lightly.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Maybe my auto center punch is junk.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I stake also. Primarily because that was how I was taught.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
On my SBR is used the Impact Weapons QD end plate. I don't know what those are made of. But holy crap they are sturdy.

I took a punch and went from hammer.... to mid sized hammer... to Big F'ing hammer. Barely scratched it. So just put a single drop of loctite and snugged it up.

I used quality parts so doubt I'll ever have to undo it.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jamaicanj
posted Hide Post
I have never staked one

Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!
Glock Cert. Armorer & GSSF Member

Posts: 707 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I bought one of these, from PWS

https://www.joeboboutfitters.c...t-p/pws-4btrlpb1.htm

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The one I would use were I ever to be in a combat situation is staked. The range guns I built are not staked.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
Anyone tried the PWS ratchet lock design?

Its what I use. Excellent product. Not cheap but excellent.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/p...ing-mount-plate.html

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I've considered it- inquired about the right punch to do the job- but no, I've never staked one.

And while I guess there's no harm about it, I wouldn't use Loctite. That just seems wrong.

Ditto on both counts!

I've tightened mine with a castle nut wrench and they've always been a b!tch to get off, but never staked it ... but mine are range toys.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Never for my own, almost always for those I build for folks.
I ask before they deliver parts.
They do their research (or not) and tell me what they want.
I'm happy to charge them twice the cost of a castle nut 30 days later when they return & what to change things around.

I've not staked mine but if it's a service / contractors rifle , absolutely.

John Q. Public ? Only if I'm told to as civilian life of range visits don't stress them enough.
That said , If you're going to do multiple AR courses I would .

My ¢.02

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I never used to but the last pistol (with a brace) that I built loosened up after a match.
So I will be staking every one that I build now.
A center punch and hammer is what I used on the pistol.
Worked well to displace metal into the staking notch.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I wish someone would just make a simple staking tool (that produces factory style stakes)so that people can just shut up and do it already.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I stake mine. Just a simple center punch and hammer. Never any issues. I've actually never done an AR that I haven't staked. Same with pinning the gas block. Everyone I own has either come pinned already with the barrel or I've pinned it when I put it together. Doesn't take much time, and provides some piece of mind.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post