SIGforum
When you assemble a lower, do you...

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/6090008644

September 09, 2018, 01:36 PM
Jelly
When you assemble a lower, do you...
I've never staked one. I've taken a couple of staked ones off. On some I've used a small amount of low strength threadlocker.
September 09, 2018, 08:01 PM
David W
Anyone tried the PWS ratchet lock design?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles
September 09, 2018, 08:52 PM
Bob RI
Yes, stake with hammer and punch, no loctite for me.
September 09, 2018, 09:22 PM
jaybirdaccountant
I never staked in years past and never had any issues, but the last few I did I staked just because the "net told me I was supposed to".
September 09, 2018, 09:25 PM
Marcushoss
One of my officers had one come loose on his duty rifle. Found out that it was originally staked, then he messed with it and never re-staked it.

Re-tightened it, couple of hits with a center punch and he was good to go. No loctite, center punch.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.
September 09, 2018, 09:32 PM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
auto center punches are for putting a little ding in a piece of metal so a drill bit doesn't wander when you start drilling.

For staking a castle nut, you want to move a significant amount of the endplate metal into the notch in the castle nut.

An auto center punch, held at a slight angle towards the cutout in the castle nut, and used 2-3 times in the same spot, displaces plenty of metal.
September 09, 2018, 09:44 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
auto center punches are for putting a little ding in a piece of metal so a drill bit doesn't wander when you start drilling.

For staking a castle nut, you want to move a significant amount of the endplate metal into the notch in the castle nut.

An auto center punch, held at a slight angle towards the cutout in the castle nut, and used 2-3 times in the same spot, displaces plenty of metal.
Yup, 3-5 times and you have a nice circle punch and plenty of metal in the cutout.
September 09, 2018, 09:46 PM
smithnsig
I stake it, lightly.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...
September 10, 2018, 09:25 AM
maladat
Maybe my auto center punch is junk.
September 10, 2018, 09:59 AM
sjames
I stake also. Primarily because that was how I was taught.
September 10, 2018, 10:11 AM
myrottiety
On my SBR is used the Impact Weapons QD end plate. I don't know what those are made of. But holy crap they are sturdy.

I took a punch and went from hammer.... to mid sized hammer... to Big F'ing hammer. Barely scratched it. So just put a single drop of loctite and snugged it up.

I used quality parts so doubt I'll ever have to undo it.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
September 10, 2018, 11:07 AM
jamaicanj
I have never staked one

Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!
Glock Cert. Armorer & GSSF Member
September 10, 2018, 12:44 PM
lkdr1989
I bought one of these, from PWS

https://www.joeboboutfitters.c...t-p/pws-4btrlpb1.htm

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV
September 10, 2018, 12:48 PM
darthfuster
The one I would use were I ever to be in a combat situation is staked. The range guns I built are not staked.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
September 10, 2018, 12:55 PM
heisrizn
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
Anyone tried the PWS ratchet lock design?

Its what I use. Excellent product. Not cheap but excellent.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/p...ing-mount-plate.html

September 10, 2018, 09:11 PM
kimberkid
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I've considered it- inquired about the right punch to do the job- but no, I've never staked one.

And while I guess there's no harm about it, I wouldn't use Loctite. That just seems wrong.

Ditto on both counts!

I've tightened mine with a castle nut wrench and they've always been a b!tch to get off, but never staked it ... but mine are range toys.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
September 11, 2018, 06:47 AM
GrumpyBiker
Never for my own, almost always for those I build for folks.
I ask before they deliver parts.
They do their research (or not) and tell me what they want.
I'm happy to charge them twice the cost of a castle nut 30 days later when they return & what to change things around.

I've not staked mine but if it's a service / contractors rifle , absolutely.

John Q. Public ? Only if I'm told to as civilian life of range visits don't stress them enough.
That said , If you're going to do multiple AR courses I would .

My ¢.02

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

September 11, 2018, 01:19 PM
xl_target
I never used to but the last pistol (with a brace) that I built loosened up after a match.
So I will be staking every one that I build now.
A center punch and hammer is what I used on the pistol.
Worked well to displace metal into the staking notch.
September 11, 2018, 01:41 PM
darkest2000
I wish someone would just make a simple staking tool (that produces factory style stakes)so that people can just shut up and do it already.
September 11, 2018, 03:53 PM
smpsmp
I stake mine. Just a simple center punch and hammer. Never any issues. I've actually never done an AR that I haven't staked. Same with pinning the gas block. Everyone I own has either come pinned already with the barrel or I've pinned it when I put it together. Doesn't take much time, and provides some piece of mind.