SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My Winchester 75 Manlicher stock
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Winchester 75 Manlicher stock Login/Join 
posted
I picked this up last summer while in the PNW. I had it shipped out to me in VA.

The store I bought it from is known for his custom stocks. This one is not one of his, but a buddy that had passed away. The Stock maker bought this rifle and restocked it to save the rifle from the scrap heap.
There is not much love out there for these old 22lr's. I saw the manlicher and fell in love. I have a soft spot for old 22lr's anyways.The store is H&K Gun Shop in Cornelius/Forest Grove OR. They have fantastic handcrafted stocks. He enjoys Manlicher style full-length stocks.

quote:
H & K Gun Shop

Map & Directions
Be the first to review!
2604 Pacific Ave, Forest Grove, OR 97116
(503) 476-9661
CLOSED NOW
Today: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Tomorrow: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm - 6:00 pm
YEARS
IN BUSINESS
Add to mybook
Visit Website
BUSINESS DETAILSGALLERYREVIEWS
Very friendly, fair prices, knowledgeable gunsmith
General InfoKurt is a walking encyclopedia on guns. Great prices, great service. Best place to consign a weapon for sale. Highly recommend you visit if you are looking for a firearm. He has hard-to-find ammo as well. Very knowledgeable!Hours
Regular Hours
Tue - Fri:10:00 am - 12:00 pm1:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Sat:9:00 am - 4:00 pm

BrandsTaurusPayment method All Major Credit CardsOther Link
https://www.northwestfirearms....eads/h-k-gun-shop.84

He is getting up there in years, but his work is far better than what I picked up. Birds eye maple, zebrawood, Walnut just any amazing wood you can imagine I was happy to pick up the one I did.

I will post a few photos here in a minute, updating this thread. Let me tell you a bit about the rifle. It is a Winchester 75, target original barrel, with original bolt and magazine.

There are some issues. The original Lyman peep that came with it was toast. It had seized up and lost the tabs on its adjustment plate. I got it to function up, down left and right. I was unable to find the same Lyman sight to replace the tab. So once adjusted it would slowly drift off. I ended up replacing the sight with a new Lyman, and a new mounting plate. Now I can hit my 3-inch plates at 66yds from bags 9 times out of 10 if I do my part.

Next, the original bolt showed a lot of wear. The rear sleeve is seized on. I was unable to remove it even after soaking in penetrating oil. I ordered a 2nd NOS bolt from eBay, and that is currently what is in the gun.

The magazine well is an adaptation of a model 75 and another Winchester with the plunger type mag release. If you look closely the magazine release does not have the same dimple that a normal 52,60,69,75 would. That means that the original is to short to reach the magazine fully. This adaptation works. It can make feeding and ejecting rounds finicky though. That being said, this rifle is a pleasure to shoot slow. It is not a blastem out kind of gun. So, I take my time and shoot a box or so at a time.

When the rifle arrived here it did well for about 2 months. Eventually, the humidity did a number on the stock. I received the rifle with a simple end cap like the Ruger 10/22 (i believe it is a Ruger 10/22 endcap). With the warp in the stock, it started putting pressure on the barrel. I had our local smith A&E Gunsmithing pillar bed the stock, ad a barrel band at the nodal point (think I have that right) and a barrel slip at the end of the barrel to keep the muzzle at the end cap from touching the stock.

I received one magazine. It has as many miles as the rifle does. One of the spot welds was loose, So I need to sort that out. I ordered two 69/75 replacement magazines. (BTW 69/75 use the same parts with the exception of the stock IIRC. ) The new mags work far better than the old one.

Now, the thing shoots like a dream all day long. The rifle has miles on it, the bore is in good shape. Some of the rest of the parts show their age, the re-blueing could have been better. Maybe in time I will source parts and get it all spiffed up. As it sits now, it is a fine shooter, a pleasant rifle to just wile-a-way an afternoon using a box or two of 22lr's

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
looking forward to seeing your rifle.

i just picked up a Winchester 75 Target myself this past week. It was a one owner dated by serial number to 1946. I'm looking forward to getting it cleaned up and shooting it. Bore is in excellent condition. A couple of light rust spots on the barrel but i think i can clean those up.

I'm a huge fan of 22 rifles and especially the manlicher stock. I've had several over the years and am currently without one. Looking to remedy that soon.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
looking forward to seeing your rifle.

i just picked up a Winchester 75 Target myself this past week. It was a one owner dated by serial number to 1946. I'm looking forward to getting it cleaned up and shooting it. Bore is in excellent condition. A couple of light rust spots on the barrel but i think i can clean those up.

I'm a huge fan of 22 rifles and especially the manlicher stock. I've had several over the years and am currently without one. Looking to remedy that soon.

I picked up a few parts, including a model 75 stock, from numrich, ebay, and a few other parts places.

The 75 really is a sweet rifle. I love this version with the stock.

A couple of things I learned. This mounts via a single point like a Ruger 10/22. For a manlicher stock, that is not the best. It really needs 2 points to lock it down. That is why I needed a barrel band in the middle. The barrel slips easily, but if you move forward with having a manlicher stock built. Start with a rifle that makes use of two bolts in the receiver.

At that point, the front should have an end cap that goes fully over and covers the barrel to some extent. My original situation allowed the stock to warp, and the barrel to pop out of the end cap. As mine sits now the barrel slips easily in the end cap area, but it is not ideal. In Oregon, i had 0 issues with it. Once it was here in va, it took a couple of months for the wood to warp. That is what started the pillar bedding, middle barrel band, and new end cap.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Very nice, good to see this old guy getting taken care of. I'm a fan of the Manlicher stock, just got a CZ 455FS, my first.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
love it!

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can not do H&K's stock work enough credit. I know this isn't one of his stocks. If you like this one, you would love any of his. He has quite a few manlicher/international style stocks on any number of actions and calibers.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I like its long skinny wrist and cheek piece. Gives it a classic rifle look. What became of your old Lyman sight?

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have it still. I rarely get rid of parts. What is missing on it is the thin sheet metal adjustment tab. The little bends are broken off from age.

I still have the original bolt in oil, it works fine, i just cant take it appart. I have new magazine release and catch parts, a used 75 target stock.

Hell i now have many more parts for this rifle than most others. It actually got me started on buying spares bit for most of my other guns.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

posted Hide Post
not sure if anyone is interested in a 75, this one looks to be in great shape.
http://summitgunbroker.com/winchester-75.html

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
not sure if anyone is interested in a 75, this one looks to be in great shape.
http://summitgunbroker.com/winchester-75.html

That looks like a good find for someone. Got a soft spot for those old Winchester 75. When I was in Boy Scouts way back when, many of the 22 we shot were the Winchester 75 Target model. Most are real good shooters.

I picked this Winchester 75 Target up years ago, it is all orginal. This one was made in 1947.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice one

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Great find, I love old .22's and that 75 you picked up is a beauty

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post