SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    ar15 buffer tube?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ar15 buffer tube? Login/Join 
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted
So I bought an ar-15 lower and upper from palmetto and they don't seem to want to fit together. I suspect it's the buffer tube. What say you good people?

https://drive.google.com/open?...vKtTuvb_QCcIgKTbTezH

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Underworld2086,

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Did you try backing it up a couple threads? Cant really see much in that picture

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
Yeah that's a terrible picture but it looks like the end of the buffer tube is sticking out through the front of the buffer tube hole on the lower itself, and is all scratched up? It's only supposed to thread about half way, just enough for the plunger to be slightly held in place. Back that buffer tube up several turns.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBird679:
Yeah that's a terrible picture but it looks like the end of the buffer tube is sticking out through the front of the buffer tube hole on the lower itself, and is all scratched up? It's only supposed to thread about half way, just enough for the plunger to be slightly held in place. Back that buffer tube up several turns.

I concur only screw in enough to lock in plunger. Leaving the tip exposed. That would be the intended installation. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
Supporting images:
quote:
This is when it's almost there. Just a quarter turn more and you have to push the plunger down to do it...

Perfect. Plunger is just barely retained on its edge by the edge of the buffer tube...

Source: https://www.pewpewtactical.com...r-15-lower-receiver/

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Every once in a while, a person will run across a lower/buffer tube combo that lets the buffer tube thread in too far, ( buffer retainer hole drilled out of position, improperly machined buffer tube and/or lower, etc, ).

First, check to make sure the buffer tube is or isn't the problem, ( will the upper and lower match up without the buffer tube in place? ) if the forward lip of the buffer tube is protruding beyond the lower and making contact with the upper as its closed down onto the lower, it needs to be threaded back a turn or so.. just as long as the lower portion of the buffer tube is still keeping good coverage of the buffer retainer, ( so it doesn't come launching out of the lower, especially during firing ).

The top portion of the buffer tube could also be filed down to fit and then touched up, if you don't have ready access to another buffer tube.

Some better pics from different angles would help.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Sometime Milspec ain't milspec.

I've had a number of PSA REs that were meh - either they thread too much or not enough.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Sometime Milspec ain't milspec.

PSA

This could be the problem right here.

Wink

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
I've sent it back to PSA. We'll see what happens. Thank you for the feedback and sorry for the poor photography.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post