SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I Am Going To Build A Rat Blaster (Just Call Me MasterBlaster Of The Rat Patrol)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Am Going To Build A Rat Blaster (Just Call Me MasterBlaster Of The Rat Patrol) Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
I live on a 200 acre farm with horses and livestock and such with the neighbor that has a chicken house.

Rats have become a nuisance, not house mouses, but freakin RATS. Nasty vermin RATS.

The owls and hawks can't get them fast enough. I trap as many as I can, but I have been asked to declare war.

I am going to take a .22 with CB longs and put an IR illuminator, IR laser and a night vision handi-cam on it and blast away at them in the feed barn.

The Illuminator should make their eyes glow and the laser will be sighted in for 50 feet.

All I gotta do is watch the dot on the screen and shoot.

Once I get it together and tested, I will post up rat popping videos.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mars_Attacks,

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
Oooo I wish I could play, too!

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a ton of fun! Can't wait for the video. Big Grin

Posts: 2679 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Ah, the good old days of shooting rats at the city dump...
Then liberal politics took a hold, and of course, the fun stopped right there.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
You country boys have all the fun. Got cakes on the griddle?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some servo motors, a gimble mount, an arduino processor, and a good wifi signal and you could blast the little bastages from the comfort of your easy chair.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
This could get very interesting and very messy all at the same time ! What's the platform for said .22's ?

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
LOL, I have a friend in another state that put an Infrared laser on an MP5 and uses night vision goggles for the same purpose (as well as raccoons, thus the 9mm instead of a .22). I got to play with it once..... Oh man! That was a ball!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Supressor + night vision + 10/22 = nirvana

stay hydrated

Posts: 5127 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
This could get very interesting and very messy all at the same time ! What's the platform for said .22's ?

Ruger 77/22.

I have a pinch type picatinny rail, ordered the camera mount, IR flashlight with pinch mount and ordered a Vector Optics Viperwolf ir laser.

My old Sony handicam with nightshot is the one they use, so I'm good to go there.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
North GA, is not too far from Winston Salem, sounds like a great karma!!!

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Attacks:

......ordered the camera mount...

My old Sony handicam with nightshot is the one they use, so I'm good to go there.

What mount did you order? I have a Sony handicam with the night vision and thought of doing the same thing on an old Marlin bolt action, for.....you guessed it....rats. Stoooopid rats. TIA Marzy.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
get the locals to help you out and bring you every black snake they can find,

years ago, my grandparents would 'relocate' blacksnakes they would find around the chicken coop or house to the corn crib,

between the snakes, and about 5 farm cats, they never had much of a rat/mouse problem (I was amazed they even had rats out there)

river flooded one time after a hurricane, next to the local feed store/general/country store/old train depot there was a large cornfield,
store and rail were just above the flood line,

most of old farmers got a call to bring the 22's to the store,

they were standing on the road and rail line and shooting the mice/rats as they swam out of the cornfield that morning,,

I was too young to participate

store was above the hig

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbow_06:
Ah, the good old days of shooting rats at the city dump...
Then liberal politics took a hold, and of course, the fun stopped right there.

friend worked in a bakery in downtown RVA, surrounded by office buildings, bars, restaurants etc

he would take a Crossman pistol, the one you pumped up, and go out back at sunup,

nobody around, very quiet, and he would kill about a dozen a day at dusk,
never ending supply of targets

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Ha ha that's great! Surely will provide some evening entertainment.

The vids will be funny.

I think since you've gone this far, you might as well put the cherry on top and suppress it. Big Grin

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
In my younger years, I worked on a turkey farm. Once we got the birds out of the houses, we'd do the same thing until we got the litter cleaned out.
We had a rat terrier that loved to kill rats, and he'd kill 30-40 a day by himself, plus what we'd kill with rat shot and .22 pistols.

But the real fun came after dark, when we'd get out the .22 semi-auto and tape flashlights to them. Let it get dark, turn on the flashlight and shoot as quick as you could get the crosshairs on them. Pop 2-3 a time, turn the light off and let things settle down then do it again. We used .22 Shorts and my dad's .552 Speedmaster and it was a rat killing machine.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
[
What mount did you order? I have a Sony handicam with the night vision and thought of doing the same thing on an old Marlin bolt action, for.....you guessed it....rats. Stoooopid rats. TIA Marzy.

Here ya go!

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-...Tripod+Adapter+Mount

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
Knowing little or less about NVG, why an illuminator and laser? Does the laser combined with camera replace a scope?

Does an illuminator differ somehow from an IR flashlight drop-in? I see lots of companies selling IR P60 modules for flashlight hosts.

If both the illuminator and laser are in the IR wavelength, how does one distinguish between the 2? In my mind I'm seeing one flashlight beam on top of another.

It sounds like it will be a hoot once you get it put together.

Dan

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Theres a handfull of these videos on Youtube. Looks like you're in for a good time!

Im jealous Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A rat terrier or a Jack Russel would help you on that project too.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post