SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I Am Going To Build A Rat Blaster (Just Call Me MasterBlaster Of The Rat Patrol)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Am Going To Build A Rat Blaster (Just Call Me MasterBlaster Of The Rat Patrol) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
A 10/22 would need a suppressor with subsonic ammo, much greater expense for a farmer.

The bolt action with 700fps ammo is the right combo.

A marlin 39a might work also.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
A 10/22 would need a suppressor with subsonic ammo, much greater expense for a farmer.

The bolt action with 700fps ammo is the right combo.

Out of curiosity why is that?

My 10/22 is loaded with Eley subs and cycles them pretty well. They're rated at 1,040 FPS, but they're not loud at all. They do a good job on my out-of-control squirrel population.

https://www.sportsmansguide.co...-50-rounds?a=1169300

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I'll try the subs, but the rats absolutely scatter with 1100fps. Plus the ricochet distance is much greater with a miss.

The 700fps, they just sit there and get shot wondering what the hell is going on.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll try the subs, but the rats absolutely scatter with 1100fps. Plus the ricochet distance is much greater with a miss.

The 700fps, they just sit there and get shot wondering what the hell is going on.

Only a Professional Rat Hunter would know that LOL!

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about this. Any video yet?

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
^^^ waiting on the video. Smile

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Yup... I'd like to see Video too, please !!

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
There's a guy close to here that has started up his own business, 3D Night Vision.
He's built a very small compact box, that looks like a small TV screen, that mounts behind your red dot on a standard rail.
His Gen3 mounts behind a variable scope. They look quite interesting for a budget build.

Certainly wouldn't survive the beating of combat, for rat and hog poppin' it could be interesting.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Shot hundreds of rats as a kid on the farm in Jersey. We used a .22 pellet rifle though. All my Dad would allow. Still have my trusty Crosman 140 rifle. They can be overwhelming unless you continually trap and shoot them.

Add me to the list; looking forward to the video!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The weather just has not been cooperating. Blech.

I am beyond anxious to get out there and attention whore this thing!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Please let us know about the scope, I recently upgraded to PVS-7s from a cheap(ish) gen 1 but the 7s don't work well with a normal scope. The Gen 1s needed a good IR light to see shapes at 75m, the 7s are great and I a used to the as that is what uncle sam issued.

Planning my Hoganator rifle, 6.8spc I picked up the below light

https://www.amazon.com/Streaml...17&keywords=IR+laser

and am planning on picking up the below laser, I have read that it is good out to 100m
https://www.amazon.com/LaserMa...-1&keywords=IR+laser

You post has me thinking about using the set up on the raccoons that eat all of the feed we put out for the hogs but I figure the CBs will not kill a raccoon at 75m.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I am using a cheap T-20 light and it lights up 100 yards with no problem.

I'm only shooting rats so it is plenty of lamp.

I have seen people using T-85 illuminators to reach out to 300 yards.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
Fox and Yote Duty

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Splendid!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!