SIGforum
Receiver for AR pistol build

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/6070044134

October 07, 2017, 06:08 PM
Valpo Fz
Receiver for AR pistol build
I am building a AR pistol for my son as a present when he comes back from Afghanistan I have a receiver that I picked up a while back, does it matter how its marked? It says multi-cal I don't know if it was sold as a rifle or a pistol or if that even matters.

Thanks
Ed

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS
October 07, 2017, 06:51 PM
Strambo
How the receiver is marked doesn't matter. How it was marked on the form 4473 when it was bought matters. It should have been listed as "other firearm" for a frame, receiver etc.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page
October 07, 2017, 07:00 PM
parabellum
Yes, it maters, and if you're not sure about the receiver you have, buy a new one. The markings don't matter, but when the receiver was purchased, if it wasn't marked as a pistol on the 4473, you would be in violation of the law if you put a barrel of less than 16" on it and/or it is less than 26" in length.
October 07, 2017, 07:17 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
How the receiver is marked doesn't matter. How it was marked on the form 4473 when it was bought matters. It should have been listed as "other firearm" for a frame, receiver etc.
This.
October 08, 2017, 08:33 AM
Valpo Fz
OK Ill see if I can find from where I bought it. It was Black Friday last year.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS
October 09, 2017, 03:11 AM
zoom6zoom
Stripped receivers, according to ATF instructions, are supposed to be marked as "Other" on the form, not rifle or pistol. This is going back a number of years now.

The main thing is if it was built up as a rifle, you can't rebuild it as a pistol. You can build a virgin stripped lower into either.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.
October 09, 2017, 09:32 PM
Valpo Fz
Ok thanks I’ll swing by the store to see if they can tell me how they marked it.

YAT-YAS