SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Receiver for AR pistol build
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Receiver for AR pistol build Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I am building a AR pistol for my son as a present when he comes back from Afghanistan I have a receiver that I picked up a while back, does it matter how its marked? It says multi-cal I don't know if it was sold as a rifle or a pistol or if that even matters.

Thanks
Ed

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How the receiver is marked doesn't matter. How it was marked on the form 4473 when it was bought matters. It should have been listed as "other firearm" for a frame, receiver etc.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, it maters, and if you're not sure about the receiver you have, buy a new one. The markings don't matter, but when the receiver was purchased, if it wasn't marked as a pistol on the 4473, you would be in violation of the law if you put a barrel of less than 16" on it and/or it is less than 26" in length.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
How the receiver is marked doesn't matter. How it was marked on the form 4473 when it was bought matters. It should have been listed as "other firearm" for a frame, receiver etc.
This.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
OK Ill see if I can find from where I bought it. It was Black Friday last year.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Stripped receivers, according to ATF instructions, are supposed to be marked as "Other" on the form, not rifle or pistol. This is going back a number of years now.

The main thing is if it was built up as a rifle, you can't rebuild it as a pistol. You can build a virgin stripped lower into either.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks I’ll swing by the store to see if they can tell me how they marked it.

YAT-YAS