SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rails....longer or shorter?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rails....longer or shorter? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
It's going to be a 16" carbine, mid-length gas. I don't plan on putting anything more than a light on it (and of course front sights). And I like both rails. LOL

SLR Rifleworks 15"...I have these in varying lengths on my other ARs.

DaVinci Arms 13.5"...I like the hexagons. LOL

The SLR installs easier with less fuss. It also has more options for mounting stuff.....should I want to do so later. But it IS kinda boring looking. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You could always spice up the SLR with some tinsel or something. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Definitely longer. I like to get my support hand as far forward as possible. 15" is my preference.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just personal preference. I find it funny that a 13" rail is now "shorter" Wink When I got into ARs a 12" on a 16" barrel gun was very long and not the norm, looked kinda weird.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
You could always spice up the SLR with some tinsel or something. Wink

Where'd I put that Bedazzler??

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me. The longer the better in most cases. I like to get my hands out as far as I can, I also like the looks better. That said, I have a few AR's with "normal" length handguard/rails.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'm a sucker for extended/full length handguards.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I'm a sucker for extended/full length handguards.

Yeah, that's pretty much it for me. The weight/balance doesn't change a noticeable bit to me, so there is really no reason to run a shorter rail. You can always have rail and not use it, but it is definitely tougher to add more rail later. Smile

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
All the rails.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
15" rails.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Go longer so the suppressor tucks in the end.
Nothing is sexier than a supressor that barely peeks out of the end of the fore end.
It is the sideboob of the gun world. Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Go longer so the suppressor tucks in the end.
Nothing is sexier than a supressor that barely peeks out of the end of the fore end.
It is the sideboob of the gun world. Smile

Bruce

Big Grin "Sideboob of the gun world"

Actually, it's a QD can so I need to have it around 1/2 - 1" shorter so I can get at the ring. But I know what you mean.