SIGforum
Weatherby Big caliber = Big punishment

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/6050005164

October 01, 2019, 06:39 AM
2000Z-71
Weatherby Big caliber = Big punishment
I remember dad telling me stories of visiting Weatherby's shop in the 60's in Los Angeles. He talked of looking at a Mark V Deluxe in .300 Weatherby Magnum but just could not justify the price at $300. He said he had always regretted not getting it.

Fast forward a whole lot of years to the late 90's when I decided I needed to, "Upgrade" my elk rifle from a 7mm Magnum. Looking at Winchester Model 70's in .338 Win Mag and then I remembered dad's stories and regrets about not getting a Weatherby. I ordered a Mark V Accumark in .340 Weatherby Magnum with the factory muzzle brake.

Yes, it's a beast. The muzzle brake lessens felt recoil by a considerable amount. But it also has enough blast to blow empty ammo boxes off the neighboring bench and send shooters home from the range. Without the brake, it's about the limit of what I can manage for recoil in a rifle. More recoil and a lot sharper impulse than my Winchester 70 in .375 H&H.

It's big, it's heavy and expensive to shoot but I love it. Absolutely no regrets, especially ones about not buying a Weatherby.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.
October 01, 2019, 10:39 AM
rburg
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
I guess you could classify Alaska moose as dangerous game.

I guess you could if she's got a baby with her, or he's horny. Or if you're taking a dog for a walk.

Unhappy ammo seeker
October 01, 2019, 01:17 PM
maladat
I have my dad's pre-'64 (controlled feed) Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H that he took to Africa the year before I was born. I actually find it pretty pleasant to shoot, but it's a fairly heavy rifle, which helps.

One hunt years ago, I took both the .375 H&H Model 70 and a lightweight .338 Win Mag I borrowed from a friend.

The lightweight .338 Win Mag was extremely unpleasant to shoot. I hated it, especially in contrast to the heavy .375 H&H.
October 02, 2019, 09:25 PM
GCE61
My CZ550 in 375HH is a hoot to shoot. Probably since it’s so heavy it’s tolerable. It’s quite accurate, and the big old pigs I’ve shot with it were lights out!!
October 03, 2019, 09:27 AM
maladat
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
My CZ550 in 375HH is a hoot to shoot. Probably since it’s so heavy it’s tolerable. It’s quite accurate, and the big old pigs I’ve shot with it were lights out!!

The other nice thing about hunting with a .375 H&H is since it fires a (relatively) heavy projectile at a (relatively) moderate speed, it will go through an animal longways if you need it to, but it doesn't ruin a ton of meat the way the really high velocity cartridges do.

My experience has been if you shoot a deer through the shoulders with a projectile velocity over about 3000 fps, the far shoulder is pretty much a total loss.
October 10, 2019, 03:10 AM
Gustofer
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Fortunately for me, my bucket list Weatherby is a .257. Roy's first and all that.

I've killed pretty much everything from elk to coyotes with mine. Best rifle ever invented and you can shoot it all day long.