SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do you use nylon brushes for your 6.5mm bore?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you use nylon brushes for your 6.5mm bore? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
If so, what do you like? I purchased a couple of Iosso brushes and they are very well made, but they seem oversized compared to brushes for other calibers I’m familiar with and they are very difficult to push through the bore.

(If you don’t use bore brushes or only use metal brushes, please don’t clutter up the thread just to tell us that. Thank you. Smile )

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Iosso brushes, ya they're tight at first. Use them a few times will get better. Just be careful you're not flexing/bowing the cleaning rod so much it drags against the bore.

Brownell's house brand is a looser fit.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iosso is fine. I've pretty much standardized on Boretech products and brushes for cleaning, with my Tipton carbon fiber rods.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Just be careful you're not flexing/bowing the cleaning rod so much it drags against the bore.

That’s what bothers me more than the force required to push the brush through the bore. My Hoppe’s carbon fiber rod doesn’t bow unless I’m pushing the Iosso 6.5 brush, but then it does. I was looking for information about other types, like the Brownells brand, to avoid having the same problem.

Thanks.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since you're not going to use the Iosso brush, no harm in modifying it to possibly get it to work. I'm all about modding stuff!

Chuck the brush in a drill. Wrap some sand paper around a wood block. Spin the brush, lightly put pressure on it with the sanding block. Wash thoroughly, give it a try, repeat if needed.....

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Ha! Good idea.
I wondered if there was a way to reduce the diameter of the brush, but couldn't think of a good method. Thanks.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
There was a retired fella in Mesa, AZ, that only went shooting four times a year.

But he shot 4 rifles, over three hours.

His physical abilities were such that cleaning was a long and strenuous process.

He built jigs to hold each rifle securly ,
Which allowed him to use both
hands /arms to work the cleaning rod.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I've been switching all my bore brushes to nylon so I don't have to worry about copper solvents eating the brushes. I don't remember which brand I bought but they seem to be a little larger in diameter than the same caliber of bronze brushes.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I use the sizing trick on some of the oversize brushes, though I won't mention having ruined one or two. I stapled some sand paper on a some scrap wood. Today a sizing fit was needed for my latest rifle purchase, fell into a nice deal on a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM. I will be doing the barrel break in tomorrow. The AR-10 build will be delayed a bit.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post