SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger American Ranch 556 AR mag version?]
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger American Ranch 556 AR mag version?] Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The stock came via UPS as well as my 48 rolls of Amazon TP Razz...the coyote laminate is beautiful to say the least...I’m gonna epoxy the recoil lugs in tomorrow Smile...watching YouTube videos right now on installation info Razz...I do like this stock!!!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
The stock came via UPS as well as my 48 rolls of Amazon TP Razz...the coyote laminate is beautiful to say the least...I’m gonna epoxy the recoil lugs in tomorrow Smile...watching YouTube videos right now on installation info Razz...I do like this stock!!!

Got my stock and scope in today, should have the rifle and scope rings next week. I love the look of the Boyd’s stock and think it will be a much better fit than the Ruger stock and still allow me to use AR mags.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Spiff_P239,

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
Pictures or it didn't happen.... Big Grin

I want to see how Boyd's tackled the AR mag and catch.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Post those pics!

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want to see how Boyd's tackled the AR mag and catch.

Same here. I have the 5.56mm NATO, model 26965. This might help (from Boyd's website):

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I’m still waiting for my rifle to show up but here are some pics of the unassembled items.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
What shape it that?

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
What shape it that?

That is the Heritage stock.

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
When I enter the information for Boyd's Build & Price, should I enter the following:

Ruger // American Ranch // Short Action, Ar Magazine

Also, is the mag well/trigger guard metal or a nylon/fiberglass material?

Sorry for more questions....

CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
That’s the correct path for choosing the correct stock. As for the trigger guard/mag well, it’s polymer.

Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
Outstanding, thank you for the pics DAK & Spiff.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Spiff - any update?

CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spiff - any update?

Received my stock and couldn’t get the rifle to seat in it. It appears as though there is too much material behind the front mounting block so the bolt that fastens the front of the trigger guard cannot engage. Boyd’s had me mail the stock back and they received it today. I’m curious to see what they have to say. Their customer service has been thorough and courteous up to this point.

Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger AR 556 in the Black Model.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I had no idea this firearm even existed. Color me impressed!

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Spiff - once again, any update?

CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spiff - once again, any update?

Received my stock back today. Perhaps I’m an idiot but I still could not install the action into the Boyd’s stock. The rifle dropped right into a Magpul Hunter American stock that I purchased for a .308 Ruger American Predator build.

The underside of the action

The interior of the stock, note that the material behind the front lug is quite a bit higher overall.

Action installed into the Magpul stock.

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
One would think Boyd would have one of these rifles to check fit?

CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
One would think Boyd would have one of these rifles to check fit?

I have no idea if the 5.56 version is any different from the 300 BLK version, but I made sure that I showed them photos of what I believed was the issue (the amount of material behind the front lug). On Wednesday I sent them the pics posted in this thread plus a video of me demonstrating that I could use the longer bolt to fasten the front of the magazine well to the front lug and then using that same bolt to fasten the front of the trigger guard to the rear lug (just to show that everything was lined up properly and that my issue wasn't user error). I'm still awaiting a response to that e-mail.

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Spiff - any word from Boyd?