SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger American Ranch 556 AR mag version?]
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger American Ranch 556 AR mag version?] Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
Does the Ruger AR mag version have a similar piece that hangs from the bolt like on the Mossberg?

I haven't handled the Mossberg, but on this Ruger one of the three bolt lugs is what strips the round from the mag. If the mag is empty it hits the follower and won't let it close (just like a military Mauser / 1903 Springfield)

I need to mount a scope this weekend. I shot a few into the ground last night here at the farm with my Omega 9K screwed on to see how it would sound with some subsonic. It fed fine from both the included pmag and a Lancer.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Nikon Monarch 3x9x40 laying around and some cheap Weaver rings. Mounted a Dead Air keymo brake.
I have the keymo quick attach for my Silencerco Omega.

Now just need time to sight it in. I shot a couple of subs through it and it's much quieter with the bigger rifle can.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dusty3030,

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
Ruger American Ranch 556, Model 26965.
Both my brother and I have one on the way. Anyone have one, how do you like it? This is not the rotary mag one that seems to have issues. I'm looking forward to it!

I am interested in picking this rifle up so I’ve had my eye on it and handled one locally. Curious, the model number you reference is for the .223 and not the 5.56 which is model 6965 as listed on Rutgers website. Did you mean to say “.223” or did you get the model number wrong.....or am I wrong?

I’d rather have .223 for the wider selection of commercial loadings available to me (I don’t know why they just don’t use a Wylde chamber instead of cataloging it for both).

Assuming you pasted the catalogue number incorrectly, what is your experience shooting .223 from the 5.56 in terms of accuracy compared to shooting the comparable 5.56 load?

Update....Nevermind...i recently figured out that the difference in catalog numbers reflects whether or not the rifle accepts the Ruger rotary mag (6965) or the AR mag (26965).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: x0225095,

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
This would be so hard to resist in a lefty bolt!

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
I just picked mine up today. I got the .300BO one that takes AR mags.
Now I have to figure out what I want on top of it.
Looking forward to shooting some subsonics through it with a can to see how quiet it is.

Giggle quiet.

I was shooting Subs at a 36 by 36 steel gong at 200 yards and the gong ringing was definitely more of an event than the gunshot.

A guy came from the opposite end of the line and asked what we were shooting that was so quiet.

As for an optic you're going to want something with a lot of travel. I had an AR mod 1 on it and it would max out its elevation at 200 yards with Subs. A 20 minute of angle base would help slightly with this but the issue is that bullet is falling so fast. With an optic like a 1/2 for power Trijicon accupower I can adjust out to 400 yards plus.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want a left hand.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it feasible to mount iron sights on this?

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that Is a nice looking and compact rifle, thank you for the pictures.

I wish Ruger would release their Mini-14 adapted to take STANAG magazines.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Dusty, we need to compare notes. I will shoot mine then you shoot yours and we will see if one of us can hear the others.

I'm semi-seriously thinking about putting an ATN on it like Marzy used for his rat blaster. I don't plan on blasting rats (ok, maybe 1 or 2), but anything 2 or 4 legged that goes bump in the night might just get surprised by an application of 220 gr of lead.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
Looks like they also have a 300BLK model that now accepts AR mags.
I did not need to hear that. My wallet could be getting lighter!

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 300BO had a tight throat / short chamber. I fired a few 125gr supers through it. Discovered it when trying to chamber heavier subs. I shot a few bolt was hard to close, extracted a live round and saw the rifling on the bullet. Called Ruger on July 2nd, they immediately emailed a shipping tag. Shipped it on their dime July 3rd and it arrived back today with a new barrel. Great turnaround especially with Independence day that week. I got my suppressor mount / brake reinstalled and scope back on. Fired a few subs into the backstop and it is "giggle quiet" with my Omega 300.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cworetired:
I want a left hand.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I hate to bump an old thread, but does anyone make an aftermarket stock for this rifle that still allows you to use AR mags? Online reviews tend to imply that the stock is cheap and flimsy but you guys seemed to love these rifles. Do you still feel the same about it now that some time has gone by?

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In for an answer.... love the rifle. Hate the stock.

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiff_P239:
I hate to bump an old thread, but does anyone make an aftermarket stock for this rifle that still allows you to use AR mags? Online reviews tend to imply that the stock is cheap and flimsy but you guys seemed to love these rifles. Do you still feel the same about it now that some time has gone by?

Boyd’s gunstocks offer a full line of replacement stocks...the Ruger stock is flimsy especially when it’s hot...

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:

Boyd’s gunstocks offer a full line of replacement stocks...the Ruger stock is flimsy especially when it’s hot...

I actually stumbled across this option on ARFCOM and was configuring a stock when you posted this. I'm not stoked about turning a $400 rifle into a $650 rifle but I won't be happy with a flimsy stock either.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anybody looks through this thread and thinks they can't live without one of these rifles, I've got a couple listed in my classifieds thread.

And it's a really neat rifle, as discussed.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:

I actually stumbled across this option on ARFCOM and was configuring a stock when you posted this. I'm not stoked about turning a $400 rifle into a $650 rifle but I won't be happy with a flimsy stock either.

I’ve been in the same mindset as you about adding more cost to the rifle...but I do love a laminate stock (looks as well as rigidity) even on my Rimfire marlins...so I just Bit the bullet and ordered the Boyd’s Heritage stock in coyote laminate Razz... I think the benefits on upgrading to a more rigid stock plus the addition of a cheek piece for scope use outweighs the $236 shipped...especially when compared to the “dollar Me to death Big Grin” AR builds and upgrades I’m prone to do Wink. I wish Ruger offered options on stocks.

Next comes a .300 BO with a zombie green laminate stock sometime later in the year Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10x Sniper:
The Ruger American 7.62x39 is awesome fun and extremely accurate and reliable with commie ammo. The ar15 mag version is also a lot of fun. Ruger did it right.

Can you use cheap nasty steel case ammo?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks to DaBigBR and Boyd's, I now have a rifle and pepper Heritage laminate stock ordered. I also ordered a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 scope to mount on it. Didn't really intend to spend $1100 in the span of 30 minutes. Big Grin

Now I just need a set of scope rings.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Spiff_P239,