SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mini 14 Safety Operation *Brief Update Below*
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini 14 Safety Operation *Brief Update Below* Login/Join 
Picture of Cobra21
posted
Need some help trying to help a buddy with his new Mini that neither of us are familiar with. So, here's what we are trying to figure out.

What's up with this?
1) Chambered round with the safety on.
2) Took the safety off.
3) Tried to engage the safety, but no go.

What's up with this?
1) Bolt forward, no mag.
2) Tried to add mag. It will not seat.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cobra21,

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safety can be a bit touchy, I don’t have much help on that.

5 and particularly 10 round magazines are a bit tight, because of State and national laws. 20 magazines easily rock and lock in, fully loaded.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Will the magazine seat when the bolt is locked open? It may just be that the brand new, fully loaded magazine is too stiff to lock in on a closed bolt (some mags have similar issues on other rifle designs as well, like the AR15). Try removing one round from the magazine, and see if that helps.

Also, make sure that the front of the magazine is properly seated before rocking it back. If it's misaligned, it will rock almost all the way back, but won't click into place.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the safety. I'll have to dig my Mini-14 out of the safe later today and see if I can replicate your problem.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
If the safety isn't re engaging when chambered somethings broken and it needs to go back to Ruger. Try removing the trigger group and make sure it's snapped all the way in.

Magazines need to be rocked in with the front of the mag first. Sometimes a fully loaded mag can be difficult to seat, I slightly draw back the bolt first then rock the mag in.

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Will the magazine seat when the bolt is open? It may just be that the brand new, fully loaded magazine is too stiff to lock in on a closed bolt (some mags have similar issues on other rifle designs as well, like the AR15). Try removing one round from the magazine, and see if that helps.

Also, make sure that the front of the magazine is properly seated before rocking it back. If it's misaligned, it will rock almost all the way back, but won't click into place.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the safety. I'll have to dig my Mini-14 out of the safe later today and see if I can replicate your problem.

Yes sir, the mag will seat just fine with the bolt locked open. The mag will not seat whether it is full, one round, or empty when the bolt is forward.

It's definitely seating before rocking/seating it, as once you get the front of the mag in (and the tabs are secured) it will not come out without taking the bolt rearward.

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greyeyezz:
If the safety isn't re engaging when chambered somethings broken and it needs to go back to Ruger. Try removing the trigger group and make sure it's snapped all the way in.

Magazines need to be rocked in with the front of the mag first. Sometimes a fully loaded mag can be difficult to seat, I slightly draw back the bolt first then rock the mag in.

No problem rocking and seating the mags or chambering rounds on an open bolt. I will take a look to see if the trigger group is seated properly.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Safety can be quite stiff. But IMO something is wrong with that rifle. Call ruger and they will likely ship/fix it for free.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, all. I think sending it back is our next best option.

posted Hide Post
Please report how this turns out. I was thinking of buying a Mini-14, but now I'm worried.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Will do. Intend to call Ruger CS this week and try to figure it out with them.

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Well, good news for us. After applying a liberal dose of elbow grease and working the safety regularly it is performing its funtion safely.