SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Robinson M96 (Updated)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robinson M96 (Updated) Login/Join 
posted
Have an opportunity to acquire a Robinson Arms 96 with 20 inch barrel, Recon barrel as well. Also includes both fixed/folding stocks for 2K. Would you buy it? Does anyone foresee a manufacturer taking another stab at a Semi Stoner clone?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tomday,

Posts: 150 | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I doubt anyone will be making more. My biggest concern would be the complete lack of parts. If it goes down, I'd say its pretty much doneski.

That said I'd have a tough time not picking one up if I came across it.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3596 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one of the rifles sometime back. It is an excellent rifle that gave good service. Accurate and reliable. I sold it because I wasn't using it. AR 15s had taken on the brunt of my work and for many reasons made more sense for me. The Robinson Arms 96 was a lot of fun and attracts attention. My biggest concern became the lack of support for parts on a rifle that was getting hard use.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I have one in my collection that I purchased when first released. I really was looking forward to the factory support with a variety of uppers planned to be offered. That never happened. It is a neat rifle, collectible, the closest you can get to a Stoner, and they work well. I don't fire it much because of the lack of spare parts but I do show her off to friends. It is a keeper.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like them but the parts availability prevents me from owning one.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I hate to say this but I think I will have to pass on this one. Thanks to all who replied

posted Hide Post
It is kind of like the SIG 556. I like both the Recon 96 and the SIG 556, but without parts....

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
It’s a cool rifle and well made but as ANDYB said parts and help with a problem is nonexistent. Too bad too. I waited years for that rifle to come out in the 90’s just to see it fall on its own face support wise. I wouldn’t get it to be a shooter. If you can afford 2k to keep it as a collector then maybe...

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you happen to read this dead thread, I was wondering where you saw the M96 offered for sale Tomday. I’m one of those people who want to buy a discontinued firearm made by a company that no longer offers support for this platform!

Posts: 1 | Location: Edmonton  | Registered: November 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ended up not purchasing and it already sold. I cant understand why no one put a semi version of the stoner into production in the past couple of years as other items such as the CETME-L have resurged. I did however see a semi auto Stoner project discussed and updated on AR-15.com back when I started this discussion. Like to see semi Stoner and FNCs resurrected
!.. Thoughts?

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomday:
as other items such as the CETME-L have resurged

Yeah, the AR-180 is making a comeback of sorts too.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting this because Robinson Arms has announced they will assemble up to 200 new M96s from the remaining parts of an old Marine Corp contract. The M-96 MSRP is $2,500 and an optional top feeding Bren Conversion is $3,400.

I would buy a Stoner 63 Clone in a heartbeat, however Robarms was known for treating M-96 owners like garbage....So what do you all think? Any other manufacturers thinking about a better clone/service?

Here is the Shot Show 2020 interview. Advance to 2:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpIwVg4YyGs