SIGforum
Robinson M96 (Updated)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/6020027754

June 10, 2019, 05:21 PM
tomday
Robinson M96 (Updated)
Have an opportunity to acquire a Robinson Arms 96 with 20 inch barrel, Recon barrel as well. Also includes both fixed/folding stocks for 2K. Would you buy it? Does anyone foresee a manufacturer taking another stab at a Semi Stoner clone?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tomday,
June 10, 2019, 07:23 PM
Andyb
I doubt anyone will be making more. My biggest concern would be the complete lack of parts. If it goes down, I'd say its pretty much doneski.

That said I'd have a tough time not picking one up if I came across it.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."
June 10, 2019, 10:02 PM
mlazarus
I had one of the rifles sometime back. It is an excellent rifle that gave good service. Accurate and reliable. I sold it because I wasn't using it. AR 15s had taken on the brunt of my work and for many reasons made more sense for me. The Robinson Arms 96 was a lot of fun and attracts attention. My biggest concern became the lack of support for parts on a rifle that was getting hard use.

Ignem Feram
June 11, 2019, 06:21 AM
Wreckless
I have one in my collection that I purchased when first released. I really was looking forward to the factory support with a variety of uppers planned to be offered. That never happened. It is a neat rifle, collectible, the closest you can get to a Stoner, and they work well. I don't fire it much because of the lack of spare parts but I do show her off to friends. It is a keeper.

La Dolce Vita
June 14, 2019, 08:31 AM
roberth
I like them but the parts availability prevents me from owning one.

June 14, 2019, 11:00 AM
tomday
Agreed. I hate to say this but I think I will have to pass on this one. Thanks to all who replied
June 15, 2019, 10:04 PM
ercarr
It is kind of like the SIG 556. I like both the Recon 96 and the SIG 556, but without parts....
June 16, 2019, 09:17 PM
10X-Shooter
It’s a cool rifle and well made but as ANDYB said parts and help with a problem is nonexistent. Too bad too. I waited years for that rifle to come out in the 90’s just to see it fall on its own face support wise. I wouldn’t get it to be a shooter. If you can afford 2k to keep it as a collector then maybe...
November 16, 2019, 07:35 PM
SamJay
If you happen to read this dead thread, I was wondering where you saw the M96 offered for sale Tomday. I’m one of those people who want to buy a discontinued firearm made by a company that no longer offers support for this platform!
November 23, 2019, 01:56 PM
tomday
I ended up not purchasing and it already sold. I cant understand why no one put a semi version of the stoner into production in the past couple of years as other items such as the CETME-L have resurged. I did however see a semi auto Stoner project discussed and updated on AR-15.com back when I started this discussion. Like to see semi Stoner and FNCs resurrected
!.. Thoughts?
November 25, 2019, 10:20 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by tomday:
as other items such as the CETME-L have resurged

Yeah, the AR-180 is making a comeback of sorts too.
February 02, 2020, 01:09 PM
tomday
Resurrecting this because Robinson Arms has announced they will assemble up to 200 new M96s from the remaining parts of an old Marine Corp contract. The M-96 MSRP is $2,500 and an optional top feeding Bren Conversion is $3,400.

I would buy a Stoner 63 Clone in a heartbeat, however Robarms was known for treating M-96 owners like garbage....So what do you all think? Any other manufacturers thinking about a better clone/service?

Here is the Shot Show 2020 interview. Advance to 2:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpIwVg4YyGs