SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope mounting difficult?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope mounting difficult? Login/Join 
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Not hard to do. I don't lap the rings. But I do buy quality mounts or rings. I use the Wheeler Fat Torque wrench ($45) and the Wheelers scope mounting kit ($49) with levels. The mounting kit really makes the job a lot easier too. You also need something to hold the rifle or AR while you work on it. I use a Tifton Gun Vise ($45).

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Was gonna mount it tonight though I'm wondering about the rings included. They are Nikko Stirling and I've never heard of them. I'm sure they are budget rings as the whole package was a budget package. Is this brand crap? Should I get different rings? They also mount as two halves going up and down with a vertical split instead of rings that are split horizontally. Is one better than the other? Seems like if they were horizontal it would be more easy to rest the scope on the bottom half of the rings.

Also there is no reccomendation for how tight on either rings or scope instructions so I assume 15-17 inch pounds should do?

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Vortex scopes are usually 18. Keep the knobs in the center between the rings in case you need to go higher than 18. You'll probably be ok and not damage the scope. You may want to check with Vortex regarding the correct inch pounds for your scope. I have a Razor and Viper and both are 18 inch pounds. For a bolt rifle, Vortex's Precision Rings are excellent. They are matched and don't require lapping the scope tube. I have a set on my Savage 10T with my Razor HD. For my ARs, I prefer LaRue's LT104 or something similar. At $210, not cheap. But one of the best mounts money can buy. And when you have a scopes that you like to more around from AR to AR, LaRue's QD are the best you can buy IMO.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I'll call Vortex though 18 sounds good. How about the Nikko Stirling rings? They any good? I'm reluctant to get the best ones money can buy because the rifle itself was a sub $400 combo with scope and rings included. Some of those mounting options are more than the base gun.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
You might have a look at the offerings from DMZ. The one piece mount solves a lot of issues with alignment and fit of the scope and makes it easy to mount. About $65 for the base models if there's one to fit your particular rifle.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post