SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Comparing recoil of various rifle rounds
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comparing recoil of various rifle rounds Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted
https://youtu.be/ZRqLlWxbBrg

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The .300 RUM is the harshest recoiling rifle that I have ever fired. I shot several rounds out of my .338 win mag and then fired my buddy's .300 RUM. I leaned into it a little more, but still got scope bite. Shooting glasses cut my nose and I had a black eye the next day at work.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
300 wizzim. Ha! That’s a new one.

The rifle setup matters as much as the cartridge. I have a 270win that weighs 7lbs that will brutalize you. My 41 pound 50bmg is nice to shoot. All about the weight.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
lot of it depends on the rifle; weight, design of the stock, etc. My buddy and I ordered our Weatherbys at the same time. I bought a heavy Accumark in .340 Weatherby Magnum, he went with the Acculight in .300 Weatherby Magnum. His is by far the most brutal recoil I've ever experienced in a rifle. My .340 is a pussycat by comparison.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
The .300 RUM is the harshest recoiling rifle that I have ever fired. I shot several rounds out of my .338 win mag and then fired my buddy's .300 RUM. I leaned into it a little more, but still got scope bite. Shooting glasses cut my nose and I had a black eye the next day at work.

My .300 RUM even with the Sims Vibration Labs Limbsaver butt pad still left me with bruises - from the two mounting screws. It squished the pad that much.

This was my elk hammer when I was stationed in CO. Never got an elk, however.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
lot of it depends on the rifle; weight, design of the stock, etc. My buddy and I ordered our Weatherbys at the same time. I bought a heavy Accumark in .340 Weatherby Magnum, he went with the Acculight in .300 Weatherby Magnum. His is by far the most brutal recoil I've ever experienced in a rifle. My .340 is a pussycat by comparison.

Agreed. The worst recoil I've ever experienced was a buddy's new ultralight rifle of some sort, in .300 Win Mag. (I don't recall the brand or model.)

He wanted help sighting it in. He had apparently tried by himself but couldn't manage it. I fired one round and wanted to quit, but got off two more rounds before I ultimately threw in the towel.

He stuck it in his safe for a few years, then sold it, having never fired it outside of our initial sight-in attempts.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 338 LM but with a great break. It's a kitten(thanks muzzlebreaks & more)
I shot a Mossberg 500 with a wire folding stock with full 3 1/2 high brass slugs. It was the limit of my tolerance.

It's interesting what's worse. I'd far prefer to shoot a 416 Rigby vs a 7mag.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I kind of scoffed at my gunsmith's recommendation to put a Vais brake on my rebuilt 700.
"It's only a 30-06" I said. (and the Mac stock had a recoil pad)
"It will shoot so soft, you'll be able to shoot it all day" he said.
Listen to your gunsmith. Big Grin
I would rather shoot 100 rds out of my rifle than 5 of my friends 7mm mag that doesn't even have a recoil pad.

The last time I got punched until I really noticed was when I was sighting in a 12ga with slugs.
Shotguns aren't often shot benchrest style for a reason.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I had to re-qualify some shooters about a month ago on the 12ga. pump.
I have to shoot slugs at the range I was using so I purchased 10 boxes at the counter. All the shop had where some Fiochi(?)2 3/4", 1600+fps, 1 oz slugs.
You definitely knew you pulled the trigger when those fired. The recoil was not too bad shooting the Weatherby pump, actually enjoyed it and bought a few extra boxes before I left the range.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve been known to load my down a bit. I can handle them all day then.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Presenter in video is difficult to understand.
Australian?

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Presenter in video is difficult to understand.
Australian?

Sounds kiwi to me.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
he went with the Acculight in .300 Weatherby Magnum. His is by far the most brutal recoil I've ever experienced in a rifle. My .340 is a pussycat by comparison.

My experience also. I had a Ruger #1 in 300 Weatherby that 2 Past shoulder pads barely helped. My 270 Weatherby was not punishing. The 300 Weatherby recoil was sharp & quick compared to larger calibers such as 338's & 458's which is more of a big shove.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
My 41 pound 50bmg is nice to shoot.

41 lbs?? That is a big boy. Smile

Yes it is. You want to go get some trigger time on the big boomer? We should go bust a few rocks over Christmas break. I strangely get a kick out of watching others shoot the 50.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
to me with minor exceptions like bad stocks its all about weight in the end. my barrett is approx. 30 and its way less painful than my Sako in .338LM. despite the difference in actual recoil energy.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
My experience also. I had a Ruger #1 in 300 Weatherby that 2 Past shoulder pads barely helped.

This made me smile. I have five Ruger No.1 rifles, and there’s one thing they do well. They take bad recoil and make it worse. I love the rifles, but owning one is like riding a high spirited horse. Beautiful to look at but a handful to ride.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
There is a big difference with 308. 180 grain is stiff like a 30-06. 150 grain feels light. Neat to see the empirical difference.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I thought my 338 Win Mag was bad enough. But Dad's 378 Wby was a kicker.
The real winner though was Dad's Winchester Model 10, the .401 WSL, when it went full auto failure. Five rounds so fast you could not tell individual shots. Just one huge bang and you were literally knocked over. Yes. On the ground, on your butt. That rifle was turned into a wall hanger.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
My 41 pound 50bmg is nice to shoot.

41 lbs?? That is a big boy. Smile

Yes it is. You want to go get some trigger time on the big boomer? We should go bust a few rocks over Christmas break. I strangely get a kick out of watching others shoot the 50.

I knew a guy that had an M99. 6 shots out of that put less hurt on my shoulder than a 12ga.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
to me with minor exceptions like bad stocks its all about weight in the end. my barrett is approx. 30 and its way less painful than my Sako in .338LM. despite the difference in actual recoil energy.

Owned an 82A1 for a while, and it was similar to a 12ga w/ 3" mags just like they said. Barrel is on springs w/ an effective brake, and the bolt must weight 5 lbs and has a long spring and travel. Stated differently IMO, not comparable to a bolt gun as 30 lb bolt gun would still be worse.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post