SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    To glass or not Pistol caliber rifles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To glass or not Pistol caliber rifles? Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
I have 2 .357 lever guns. On one of I put a
vortex red dot. If you dont use irons, what do you use on these?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tommydogg,

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I would...optics just makes things easier. Or a receiver mounted sight like Williams or XS.

A 357mag rifle is still a viable 100m gun....a RDS or a LPV would be ideal.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
low power 'simple' scope,

whatever the modern equivalent to a Weaver K4 or K6 is,

or maybe a smaller power variable, 2-7x type,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
low power 'simple' scope,

whatever the modern equivalent to a Weaver K4 or K6 is,

or maybe a smaller power variable, 2-7x type,

Yep, I really like a Vortex 2-7 on .22's and my 336.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Depends on the intended use. I don't like what an optic does to the balance of most leverguns. Unfortunately, my eyes aren't excellent, and neither is my skill with irons. My .357 is used mostly for ringing steel out to about 50 yards, and it is scopeless. I prefer the balance and the speed that this configuration offers. I had a scope on it at one time, and just felt like it ruined the gun for me.

My .45-70, on the other hand, is my deer gun. Longest shot I could see myself taking with it is 150 yards, probably closer. It wears a 4x Nikon, and is zeroed for a very specific load. It's deadly accurate lobbing that 405 gr bullet, but not quite as much fun to shoot as my .357. IMO it's a reasonable compromise for its intended use.

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Williams Guide receiver sight. Cheap and good.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post