SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SIG Arm Brace - question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG Arm Brace - question Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
My understanding was that nothing was to be placed inside the "arm hole" on the brace.
But I came across this storage bag for sale and showing the placed inside the arm hole.

Was I wrong or are we back to the "intent of the shooter" thing?

Because to this simple Marine that just screams "I'm not ever going to use this as intended "!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...storage-accessories/

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
My understanding was that nothing was to be placed inside the "arm hole" on the brace.

Confused

I’ve tried to follow this “brace” thing, and that’s the very first time I’ve seen this claim, and I can’t imagine why there would be any such restriction.

The only controversy I was ever aware of pertained to placing the rear vertical portion of the brace against one’s shoulder when firing the gun. At first the ATF said it was okay; only the physical configuration of the gun mattered, not how it was used. Then they reversed and said it wasn’t okay. Then they flopped back again and said it was okay. “It’s okay to fire a pistol with the brace placed against one’s shoulder like a rifle stock” is the latest ruling I’m familiar with.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I know this little dooberdauber is only legal on a Shockwave Blade mounted on a rifle...it changes the intent of use on the Blade as a pistol brace...can't say on the bag/SIG brace question...I could see it falling into the same catagory...

https://www.ic13arms.com/shop/sbp-blade-protector

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I know this little dooberdauber is only legal on a Shockwave Blade mounted on a rifle...it changes the intent of use on the Blade as a pistol brace..

Seems like yet another question that didn’t need to be asked. The filler plug serves at least a couple of legitimate reasons on a pistol brace, to include protecting it from damage if a butt strike is necessary to extract a round and keeping dirt and debris out of the hole at the rear.

Ask, and we may not like the answer.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
My limited understanding is that the brace cannot be altered in any way from it's original configuration, even to include simply removing the rear strap. I agree with you Grumpy Biker that this does scream "not a brace".

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
With some of these brace accessories this would be great advice for those manufacturers...

But with manufacturers it's more like this...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Do the two braces in question require a "pistol" receiver extension?

And if so, does a pistol receiver extension need a different length buffer and spring?

Only brace I have is on a 556P so it doesn't need those parts, plus I've never taken the brace off to see if it's different than a carbine length tube.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Do the two braces in question require a "pistol" receiver extension?

And if so, does a pistol receiver extension need a different length buffer and spring?

Only brace I have is on a 556P so it doesn't need those parts, plus I've never taken the brace off to see if it's different than a carbine length tube.

Same length and buffer/spring combo, but both require a round ("pistol") tube.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
With some of these brace accessories this would be great advice for those manufacturers...

But with manufacturers it's more like this...

No kidding.

Some of the people involved in this industry are idiots.

No more idiotic than SBR laws, but still.

Also doesn't seem like a great place to store stuff anyway.....

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have toyed with the idea of making a rigid foam insert that conforms to the inner cavity so that the brace is solid when Velcro strapped tight, but had heard that this would alter it from original. I have a friend who is an agent with ATF- I will ask him next time I get the chance.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15550 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post